PDA

View Full Version : BBC Article : Stingray migration

lottie
06-24-2008, 02:27 PM
Found this article and the pictures are just amazing - breathtaking even!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-1029013/The-great-ocean-migration--thousands-majestic-stingrays-swim-new-seas.html

"
Gliding silently under the seas these magnificent stingrays resemble a golden cloud stirring in the ocean.

Taken off the coast of Holbox Island in Mexico in July last year these spectacular pictures show the twice yearly migration of thousands of cow-nosed stingrays.

But upon seeing these leaf-like animals, her attentions were quickly switched to the school of fish commonly known as Golden Rays.

"It was an unreal image, very difficult to describe," says the 41-year-old from Linden, New Jersey.

"The surface of the water covered by warm and different shades of gold, looked like a bed of fall leaves, gently moved by the wind .

"It was just unforgettable! I've never seen something like that, and I travelled a lot, in different parts of the world, and seen some incredible things."

In the Atlantic Ocean, their migration is northward in the late spring and southward in the late autumn.

The population in the Gulf of Mexico migrates in schools of as many as 10,000 rays, clockwise from western Florida to the Yucatan in Mexico.

"

shinek
06-24-2008, 02:55 PM
Wow, spectacular pictures. I have some friends who've done the Holbox trip to see the Whale Sharks and others who are planning it, but to come across a sight like this would be just fabulous. Another one to put on the list!

acelockco
06-25-2008, 06:22 PM
Sweet!!!

On our last trip to Florida, we were lucky enough to dive with 3 monster size stingrays. They were all between 5-8 feet across and were very friendly. Awesome dive!