PDA

View Full Version : One lucky Guy

Zero
01-23-2007, 06:43 AM
http://www.smh.com.au/news/national/poke-in-the-eye-saves-shark-victim/2007/01/23/1169518690165.html

How lucky can you be?

Matt

Sarah
01-23-2007, 07:07 AM
Geez.....what a lucky guy!

dakuwanga
01-28-2007, 03:29 AM
Hopefully the shark has moved on - I am diving there next month - not something I want about while doing deco - although it would make an interesting photographic subject.

Zero
01-28-2007, 04:02 AM
Dont worry with all the bad vis weve been having lately youll never see it coming. I did Steamers Beach seal colony a few years ago when that tagged one was swimming up the coast. It was at Steamers half an hour before we were. As fun as seals are to dive with and watch im not getting in being the plumpest slowest seal swimming around. Even with the stink and noise they make.

Matt

WarmWaterdiver
01-29-2007, 06:52 PM
talk about feeling like Jonah and the whale, man o man.

seafox
01-30-2007, 12:36 AM
The article doesn't say, but I wonder if he was spearfishing.
The article also did not mention anything about scuba gear, no tank on his back, so perhaps no noisy bubbles, perhaps looked like a seal? perhaps, perhaps, perhaps.....
Most shark bites happen under those circumstances!
It's very, very rare for a scuba diver to be bitten by a shark!

Oviously the heli crew weren't scuba divers:
"When you dive you have got to a minimum of two hours adjusting ... it's decompression.
The oxygen in your lungs need time to readjust or you get the bends.''

I am a great believer of It's always best to stay out of a White's mouth!

Cornel

Sarah
01-30-2007, 12:46 AM
I think he was abalone diving. I have photos of his wetsuit with teeth marks through it.

I think the shark did not bite down hard or he would be dead.

seafox
01-30-2007, 01:35 AM
Abalone diving! now that makes more sense!
Most likely in it's black wet suit, looked like a seal to the White, which is it's prefered snacks.
iDiveChick, your are perfectly right; he was just testing to see if it was a seal and just tested with what to him was light "nip", but somewhat more than that to the diver. Otherwise, our friend the abalone diver would not have been back on the boat!
Oviously not enough blubber to make him happy and he spit him out.
Sharks need a high blubber diet for energy.
They occasionally attack humans by mistake but spit them out as they are too "skinny"!
Still major damage to us frail humans, but generally not death.
As I said earlier "best to stay away from the White's mouth"

Cornel

Sarah
01-30-2007, 01:59 AM
Here is his wetsuit after the attack:

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p53/iDiveChick/greatwhiteattack.jpghttp://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p53/iDiveChick/greatwhiteattack2.jpg

seafox
01-30-2007, 03:53 AM
YAP! lucky guy

Zero
01-30-2007, 05:21 AM
From what i heard he had a lead vest on. Sounded like his weights were like lead sheets spread over his torso like a flak jacket. It would spread the weight of the bite a lot more and may inflict less punctures. I could be wrong though.

Matt

seasnake
01-30-2007, 04:25 PM
I had a 6' seal do one of those test "nips" on me once ... much gentler, never punctured my drysuit.

Zero
01-31-2007, 05:36 AM
I had a 6' seal do one of those test "nips" on me once ... much gentler, never punctured my drysuit.

Isnt that called a love bite? Nice to see you were more worried about the drysuit than the appendage of your body it took a liking to.:D

Matt

seasnake
01-31-2007, 05:53 PM
To be honest, it was the bag full of scallops I had just collected that I was most concerned about ... the seals were tugging on it, trying to swim away with it, and my lift bag too! I just wasn't going to let that happen!

2old2
04-13-2007, 01:29 PM
white tips don't usually get that agressive. Actually their pretty lazy when it comes to eating.

santelmo
04-14-2007, 09:59 AM
To be honest, it was the bag full of scallops I had just collected that I was most concerned about ... the seals were tugging on it, trying to swim away with it, and my lift bag too! I just wasn't going to let that happen!

hahahaha :D :p seasnake, a very funny guy! :cool:

that's why i've always wanted a yellow wetsuit...lolz :o :D