PDA

View Full Version : Now I know this sounds really stupid....

global
06-22-2008, 05:05 PM
But what got you into diving in the first place?

What is it about diving that grabs you?

I was thinking about this the other day when I wondered why I went for the diving, as opposed to say - sky diving

I concluded that the sky diving didn't last as long as an underwater dive

But I wondered why everyone else went diving?

The Publisher
06-22-2008, 11:53 PM
Jacques Cousteu and Mike Nelson of Sea Hunt

hbh2oguard
06-23-2008, 05:06 AM
the yummy taste of a fresh spiny lobster:)

rubber chicken
06-23-2008, 06:15 AM
Like the Pub, watching The Undersea World of Jacques Cousteau as a kid.

bottlefish
06-23-2008, 03:49 PM
As with the others, Jacques Cousteau sparked by interest, but what's kept me there...

The peace and tranquility, feeling of freedom when I'm in the water, and also that there's still so much to be discovered.... I look upon it as one of the few wildernesses left on the planet, there's no buildings, roads or human infrastructure, nature does it's thing regardless (on the whole!) of our short visits. Where else can we see such an adundance of wildlife, displaying such a weird array of behaviour?

Daddy-h2O
06-24-2008, 01:29 AM
It was something I always wanted to do. Born to Late for Sea Hunt, and before I ever saw a Jacques episode, i got lost in the Museum of Natural History when we lived near NYC. I had to be 4 or 5 at the time, I don't remember if I was in school or not. (we moved when I was 6) But at that time a lost child was not the castrastophy it is today) My parents found me in the Ocean exhibit , the one with the whale hanging from the ceiling. From that moment, I knew I wanted to be involved with that part of the world. I grew up never fullfilling that dream, until 9 years ago when I got certified. I still have not done many salt water dives but I am trying to get more involved with the diving I can do locally. I regret not getting involved when I was younger. It has tuaght me to make what ever interest in the world my children have to help them look at it closer and persue it as far as they like.

h2odragon1
06-24-2008, 02:59 PM
My wife bought me a Discover Scuba while on vacation in the Philippines, (I think it was to get me out of the way for her to shop). I have been addicted ever since.:)

dalehall
06-24-2008, 03:41 PM
It was a Discover Scuba for me also. During a Caribbean Cruise while in St. Maarten, I tried it. LOVED IT!! Never looked back. I even put my Private Pilot's license training on hold while I got certified.

BillGraham
06-29-2008, 04:31 PM
I was on a surf trip in Panama, and was just goofing around free diving on a flat day, and someone stuck a regulator in my mouth while I was down there. That was it! :D

Nemo
10-31-2008, 04:33 AM
It's the adventurous spirit in all of us....to go into a mysterious and beautiful world where we normally can't go. The novelty of going places where our bodies normally can't function. For many it's more exotic and interesting than going to another planet.