PDA

View Full Version : Keeping warm - suggestions or opinions

greenturtle
06-21-2008, 03:20 PM
was told that i would probably need a 5mm with hood in 18C waters
i owned a 3mm fullsuit and a 2mm shorty, here's my choices for keeping warm without investing in a 5mm suit (which will probably be under utilized)

1. wear the shorty, then the fullsuit over it (that makes 5mm)
2. invest in a 2-3mm vest and wear the fullsuit over

Any suggestions or opinions? Thanks! :)

acelockco
06-21-2008, 04:02 PM
Yes, I would wear both if that is what you have, unless you will be diving in those conditions on a regular basis. I would also suggest a hood, you will get a lot more warmth out of a hood then you will by adding a vest.

rubber chicken
06-22-2008, 05:25 AM
If you consider the amount of heat lost through the head then a hood is a definite 'good idea' for increasing your comfort when diving in cooler waters. I would also recommend some gloves and it might be worth investigating one of the thermal rash vests for wearing under your wettie. Try stuff like this http://www.adventureextreme.com.au/catalogue/waterwear/sharkskin_category_intro.php/9/0/4/31 or http://www.radiator.net/general/categories.aspx if you can find them near you.

HTH

greenturtle
06-22-2008, 08:24 AM
Thanks. Guess i'll probably stick to the Fullsuit over Shorty option, since it requires no further investment. Would look to get a vest when I come across one in future.

shinek
06-23-2008, 03:34 AM
I agree, layer what you've got, unless you are going to be regularly in the cooler water, then get the appropriate suit for the conditions. A hood makes a huge difference and you may consider a vest with attached hood. Also, I'd take gloves with you, if you're comfortable without them, no problem, but if it feels a little chilly they are handy to have in your BC pocket.

hbh2oguard
06-23-2008, 05:11 AM
A hooded vest is a must if your going to be doing 18 deg C dives on a regular basis. For me gloves aren't really important, I'm use to working without them in 50 deg F water. Also you'll probably be a little chilly and I get the correct suit for you if your going to be diving on a regular basis. I believe 18C is around 65F and I wear my 7mm for those temps, usually without a hood.