PDA

View Full Version : most stupidest thing....

lottie
06-16-2008, 04:11 AM
So I went diving for the first time in about 2 months the other day and while setting up my gear, i connected my primary stage to the tank. One of the instructors who was sat near me on the boat said "You don't wanna do that"

Realised that I hadn't strapped on the BCD onto the tank first.....

Anyone else done someone similar while diving, where you feel about 6 inches tall?

rubber chicken
06-16-2008, 05:35 AM
I've jumped in without my weightbelt on. without my fins on, with my drysuit unzipped (Brrrrrrrrr!) and on one memorable occasion, after briefing everybody on the surface, gave the descend signal, deflated my BCD and sank beneath the surface only to realise that I wasn't wearing my mask.:o

Diverdaniel
06-16-2008, 09:05 AM
things like this happen to Everyone from time to time, even if they wont admit it.
happens when not concentrating.

oh, and to me aswell :)
been there,done that

dalehall
06-16-2008, 06:55 PM
Ummm Why, No. I never do anything stupid. ;)

I didn't giant stride with my mask on but no reg in my mouth because I was too busy talking. Nope, that wasn't me. :D

lars2923
06-17-2008, 12:17 AM
A Giant stride from about 4 feet up, going negative.. Hit the water and
no air... Aaahhh! ( O )( O )... ***...
So I learned now to breathe 4-5+ times off the reg and watch the pressure
gauge before hitting the water.
That's not too bad, huh... Could have been worse.. I could have left
my fins, mask and weight belt off too.

seasnake
06-17-2008, 12:46 AM
I jumped OUT OF my fins once ... no, I don't know how it happened ... but I was in the water and my fins were still perched on the edge of the platform like I had vanished ...

lottie
06-17-2008, 01:03 PM
I jumped OUT OF my fins once ... no, I don't know how it happened ... but I was in the water and my fins were still perched on the edge of the platform like I had vanished ...

ROFLMAO - that's a good one....

BillGraham
06-18-2008, 11:58 AM
My personal best was a dive in Ginnie Springs, Florida. We did a nice swim through the bone tunnel, the big room and back around. I'm doing decimpression hanging on the log in the Devil's Ear entrance (ripping flow), take a breath in, and then I see something yellow fluttering at the edge of my field of view. ****! It's my Poseidon second stage! Evidently, the tie wrap broke and the strong flow ripped the reg right out of my mouth, leaving the mouthpiece between my teeth. My buddy found all this very entertaining as he watched me try to save the mouthpiece, get my other second stage out and in my mouth, put the other mouthpiece back on the yellow second stage and get that stowed away while hanging on to the log with my other arm.

seasnake
06-18-2008, 01:03 PM
haha! Good one! I did that in the pool, during my divemaster course doing the skill NAUI calls the "bailout" for the first time ... no gear on including mask, stuck the reg in my mouth, took a breath ... and got water ... put my hand to the reg and ... no reg ... just a mouthpiece ... I gave a look in my instructors direction of ... "... phooey!" .... ahhh, those were the days ...

lars2923
06-18-2008, 02:24 PM
My personal best was a dive in Ginnie Springs, Florida. We did a nice swim through the bone tunnel, the big room and back around. I'm doing decimpression hanging on the log in the Devil's Ear entrance (ripping flow), take a breath in, and then I see something yellow fluttering at the edge of my field of view. ****! It's my Poseidon second stage! Evidently, the tie wrap broke and the strong flow ripped the reg right out of my mouth, leaving the mouthpiece between my teeth. My buddy found all this very entertaining as he watched me try to save the mouthpiece, get my other second stage out and in my mouth, put the other mouthpiece back on the yellow second stage and get that stowed away while hanging on to the log with my other arm.

Hang out under the log... It may be a few feet deeper, but it makes it much
easier to stay put...

I love coming out of that hole.. One shoot up like a rocket so you got to hang on.. Weeeeeeeee.....

amtrosie
06-21-2008, 01:29 AM
Hang out under the log... It may be a few feet deeper, but it makes it much
easier to stay put...

I love coming out of that hole.. One shoot up like a rocket so you got to hang on.. Weeeeeeeee.....

Gotta love that free ride!

I prefer hanging out in the eye, wedged out under a ledge. That is, if there are no snakes hanging out too!

benharbach
07-17-2008, 10:32 AM
On a recent night dive in thailand, after giving the ok and decend signals, we started to decend. was only a couple of seconds later that i popped above the surface confused. Had tried to decend with my snorkel in and ended up with a mouthfull of seawater. Guess i missed out the R in SO(R)TED. oops

Sarah
07-17-2008, 02:02 PM
Maybe it just needed it's annual service! ;)

highdesert
07-18-2008, 03:07 AM
Lemme see ... splashed with tank valve turned off, splashed with Air 2 in my mouth instead of second stage, splashed without screwing down the head of my dive light (flooded!), I'm sure a few others I'm missing ...:rolleyes:

lars2923
07-18-2008, 09:02 PM
Lemme see ... splashed with tank valve turned off, splashed with Air 2 in my mouth instead of second stage, splashed without screwing down the head of my dive light (flooded!), I'm sure a few others I'm missing ...:rolleyes:

There's your problem, you're splashing. Try not splashing next time...

lars2923
07-18-2008, 09:03 PM
On a recent night dive in thailand, after giving the ok and decend signals, we started to decend. was only a couple of seconds later that i popped above the surface confused. Had tried to decend with my snorkel in and ended up with a mouthfull of seawater. Guess i missed out the R in SO(R)TED. oops

I am guessing the R is Regulator..

What is SORTED?

rubber chicken
07-19-2008, 01:21 AM
SORTED is the mnemonic that PADI use for the beginning of the descent.
Signal
Orientate
Regulater
Time
Equalise/Exhaust
Descend.

A couple of years ago I was acting as shore cover for an OW course. The instructor led his students into the water and gave them theirfinal instructions. To make this easier for himself he had his mask down, around his neck. After running through SORTED, they all descended. I was most amused to see the Instructor pop back to the surface seconds later to put his mask on properly.:)

jockers
08-20-2008, 05:45 AM
The first dump thing I made is this

YouTube - Escoumins Blooper (http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=urC5nTlPLfA)

The best splash I ever made and the worst exit to.....:D
the second thing . Dive whit 3 photographer . If I made a mistake or a dumb thing , it's always in the next movie my friend made.:o

hbh2oguard
09-03-2008, 05:08 AM
haha! Good one! I did that in the pool, during my divemaster course doing the skill NAUI calls the "bailout" for the first time ... no gear on including mask, stuck the reg in my mouth, took a breath ... and got water ... put my hand to the reg and ... no reg ... just a mouthpiece ... I gave a look in my instructors direction of ... "... phooey!" .... ahhh, those were the days ...

I love the bailout! It's something padi doesn't do or at least the courses I took from them until I switched to Naui. It sounds like you got it easier. I wasn't allowed to have the reg in my mouth and the air had to be off. Not too sure how useful the skill is, except to make sure you know your gear, but it's truly a fun skill.

andrew_eastwood
09-03-2008, 01:26 PM
Was on the boat heading out to a nitrox dive in Puerto Gallera a few weeks ago and spent the short journey telling my buddy about a dive to see the Thresher Sharks at Monad Shoal in Malapascua. On that occasion I descended the 22m on to the shoal before realising that my computer was still set to 21% (a non- gas switching computer!) and I had 36% on my back. There I was telling my buddy how silly I felt, then we slipped into the water, began our descent and guess what...yep...same thing again not more than 3 minutes after talking about it. Doh!

seasnake
09-03-2008, 02:42 PM
I love the bailout! It's something padi doesn't do or at least the courses I took from them until I switched to Naui. It sounds like you got it easier. I wasn't allowed to have the reg in my mouth and the air had to be off. Not too sure how useful the skill is, except to make sure you know your gear, but it's truly a fun skill.

Yeh, that's the way we did it but when I cracked the tank valve and put the reg in my mouth I must've pulled too far away from the gear and yanked the mouthpiece right off the reg. I agree, the only thing this skill might show is familiarity with your gear and maybe comfort level in the water. If you divemaster by throwing all your gear into the water, letting it sink to the bottom, and then free diving down to get dressed ... then I hope you're not my divemaster! haha!

hbh2oguard
09-08-2008, 05:50 AM
If you divemaster by throwing all your gear into the water, letting it sink to the bottom, and then free diving down to get dressed ... then I hope you're not my divemaster! haha!

Yea I agree! The last line reminded me of another worthless skill I had to do. It was to take all my gear off at the bottom, slowly ascend then take a breath on the surface and free dive down and put my gear on. What's the use?? Again it was fun but not that useful.

Nemo
10-31-2008, 03:10 AM
I was working as boat master AND divemaster one day as we were short staffed and the boat crew offered to do surface cover during the dives so I could take down some divers that would have otherwise had no guide. While getting all the dive teams sorted out as well as finding spare equipment for various instructors and DMs I also had to get myself ready and get the new propane tank over to the cook. Trying to multitask and carry as many things as possible I strapped my tank to my BCD and dropped the gas tank for the cook off in the kitchen. Upon walking back to set up the rest of my gear (while still wearing my BCD) a fellow instructor came over and jokingly said "I see you're taking the new propane specialty course." I had strapped the propane tank in my BCD just to carry it and dropped off the wrong tank. I was so busy getting air tanks for everyone I automatically put one in the kitchen for the cook too.