PDA

View Full Version : Baggage Handlers Busted!

Sarah
06-06-2008, 07:39 PM
TAMPA -- Three baggage handlers were arrested by Tampa International Airport police Friday for dealing in stolen property taken from passengers' luggage.

Authorities said the men were subcontractors who worked for Delta Global Services, a company hired by Continental Airlines. An arrest report listed several recovered stolen items that included laptops, cell phones, digital cameras, sunglasses and a GPS device.

Detectives say they are working to find all the victims, and a TIA spokeswoman had no comment, citing an ongoing investigation.

Among those arrested, Ernie A. Azucey, 23, of 8510 N Hyaleah Rd., Tampa, has the heftiest bond at $247,500. Police charged him with 33 counts of dealing in stolen property.

Efrain "Junjo" Malave-Bermudez Jr., 34, of 6720 S Lois Ave., Apt. 7108, Tampa, faces seven counts of dealing in stolen property. His bond has been set at $52,500.

Charged with four counts of dealing in stolen property, Juan David Ayende-Nieves, 52, of 2004 E Lave Ave, Apt. D, is the only man among the three to post bail and be released. His bond was set at $30,000.

http://media.tbo.com/photos/trib/2008/mar/033008tiabaggers.jpg

Continental officials tracked the thefts through a laptop outfitted with a tracking device by Absolute Software Security Co. The airline placed the laptop on a Houston-bound flight on March 12 and reported it stolen to airport police in Houston when it never arrived.

The tracking device would initiate once someone activated the laptop and connected it to the Internet, the arrest report said.

The security company's software system detected the computer's use on March 25 when an unidentified woman used it to access a MySpace account. She continued using the Internet the next two days, and on Friday, detectives contacted her. She told investigators that the laptop came from her boyfriend's father, Ayende-Nieves, one of the baggage handlers.

When investigators contacted Ayende-Nieves, police said he told them that he believed the property was stolen because it was so cheap. He said he bought the laptop for $350 from Azucey.

An arrest report says that Azucey told police he brought the laptop from a man named Rene Lopez, whom he had seen steal property from checked bags in the past. Information on Lopez's connection, charges or possible arrest weren't immediately available.

From Azucey's home, detectives recovered a Dell laptop, three cell phones, five digital cameras, nine pair of sunglasses, two FM transmitters, two iPods, a Garmin GPS device, seven phone charges, an MP3 player, a calculator, a card reader and three pair of headphones. Police said Azucey told them he purchased all those items from Lopez.

-Kevin Graham, Times staff writer

seasnake
06-07-2008, 04:34 PM
Wahoo! :)

And interesting it was Continental airlines ... :rolleyes:

amtrosie
06-10-2008, 02:53 PM
Wahoo! :)

And interesting it was Continental airlines ... :rolleyes:

How is that relevant? These guys were working for contracted company, who probably service several airlines at the airport. That is how that works.

The Publisher
06-10-2008, 03:14 PM
It's kinda cool that Continental apparently does their own spot checking and put tracers in laptops.....don't you just love it?

acelockco
06-10-2008, 03:18 PM
I am very happy that they got caught. Hopefully this makes some of the others out there think twice before stealing. I really have been trying to travel as lightly as I can lately. My last 3 flights I only took my carry on bag. You would be very surprised at how much you can do without bringing on vacation.

My wife and I are trying to plan our next dive trip. We are not sure where we are going to go, but we were even thinking of renting scuba gear even though we both have more than 2 sets of everything. The only reason is so we don't have to bring so much luggage as we find it a royal pain in the rear end. I have found that most places have really nice rental gear, and if you pick your dive shop carefully you can even get high end technical gear for a small amount more. While I really like using my own gear, it is also a chance for me to try out some new gear without buying it first.

seasnake
06-17-2008, 01:22 AM
How is that relevant? These guys were working for contracted company, who probably service several airlines at the airport. That is how that works.

I ranted about Continental in another thread ... I know this has nothing to do with them, but I thought I would use the opportunity to make another dig ... ;)

The Publisher
06-17-2008, 03:31 AM
That was funny Ron, never pass up a perfectly good opportunity! lol

allisonfinch
06-21-2008, 12:17 AM
Well, the theft ring in San Juan is STILL IN BUSINESS!!! I just got back from the Digital Shootout in Bonaire, and someone had all of their video gear stolen there. The whole checked case was never found. Bet it's on Ebay by now.