PDA

View Full Version : 5 European Divers Missing in Indonesia

Sarah
06-06-2008, 07:22 PM
KUPANG, Indonesia (AFP) — Five scuba divers from Britain, France and Sweden have been missing for more than a day in seas off remote islands in Indonesia after being swept away in a current, police said Friday.

The divers -- two British women and a British man, a Swedish woman and a French man -- disappeared Thursday in the treacherous waters of the Komodo National Park in the Nusa Tenggara islands east of Bali, police said.

"A rescue team from the Indonesian police and navy conducted a search this morning for the five missing foreigners but there has been no result so far," Manggarai Barat district police chief Butje Hello said.

missing diver-middle in black dress

The husband of one of the missing British women told AFP the search was being hampered by a lack of fuel for aircraft.

"We've got a big search operation happening here but we're having trouble getting aircraft to fly because of fuel problems," said dive master Ernest Lewandowski.

"Time is critical. It's absolutely blistering hot out there," he said, his voice breaking with emotion.

Lewandowski said he and his wife Kathleen Mitchinson, who together own a dive shop on the nearby island of Flores, had been leading two separate groups of tourists on the dive.

He only noticed his wife's group was missing when his group surfaced an hour after they entered the water.

"There were three boats out today searching. I was on a speedboat going around all the beaches and everything to see if they had washed up," he said.

A search on Thursday night was called off at 3:00 am and resumed at dawn. "It's a new moon so it's very dark out there," he said.

The Komodo National Park is a popular diving destination which is well known for spectacular coral and fishlife as well as strong currents.

A lack of resources and harsh conditions meant rescuers were struggling to cover the large and sparsely populated area.

They had been offered the use of a helicopter from Kupang on Timor island but had not been able to use it because of a lack of fuel.

A commercial passenger flight headed to Labuanbajo on Saturday had promised to circle for one hour over the area where the divers went missing, but this was not enough time to make an effective search.

The Komodo National Park, which is famed for rocky and dry islands housing the giant lizard of the same name, includes waters filled with unpredictable currents and whirlpools.

Strong currents in the waters of the national park mean the divers could be carried tens of kilometres (miles) away in a matter of hours.

The Reefseekers Diving business owned by Lewandowski and Mitchinson, who are both long-time residents of Flores island, is one of only a handful of diving operators in the national park.

In London the Foreign Office said it was aware of the situation.

"We are providing the appropriate consular assistance, including liaison with the local authorities in the search," a spokeswoman said.

original story (http://afp.google.com/article/ALeqM5gmNankx5i7LKKeuTRw38i2mAOr0w)

note: The reference to the Indonesian Reefseekers (http://www.reefseekers.net) has NOTHING to do with Ken Kurtis of ReefSeekers in Beverly Hills, California. They are completely separate, unrelated entities.

shinek
06-06-2008, 08:52 PM
Did some searching but couldn't find anything beyond the "Divers missing" report. If I see anything new I will, of course, post it.

Its a little worrying that they don't have enough fuel for the helicopter to take part in the search. They had a commercial plane leaving the airport circle for an hour to look for them. Not sure what plane or what altitude they would have been circling, but I'd hate to have to rely on that to spot me in the ocean somewhere. Sounds like they are doing everything they can think of, just limited on resources.

Hopefully this will turn out OK and they'll be found, keep fingers crossed, work the beads or talk to the appropriate supreme being, anything that may help.

rubber chicken
06-07-2008, 06:26 AM
According to latest reports, they have been found alive and well after 48 hrs adrift. Picked up by a local fishing boat apparently.

Sarah
06-07-2008, 06:41 AM
Five Europeans who did not return from a diving trip in Indonesia Thursday were found alive Saturday morning, a search official said.

The group was found at Mantaolan, which is on the island of Rinca off Komodo National Park, the head of the rescue team said.

"The police patrol spotted them waving their hands from a beach on Rinca island. They were safe and sound, but were a bit hungry," said Viktor Jemadu, a senior police officer in the Manggarai Barat area,

The husband of one of the divers said he was told they were in good condition, although dehydrated.

"I'm just so relieved," said Mats Kohler, whose wife is Helena Neva Lainen. They are both from Sweden.

An official said they were being taken to a hospital for examination.

Searchers using boats located the missing divers at 11 a.m. Saturday (11 p.m. ET Friday), the official said.

They arrived at a hospital in Labuan Bajo, on the western tip of the island of Flores, about two hours later, an official said.

They were one of two groups of divers who entered the water off Komodo National Park Thursday and were supposed to be gone for an hour, said an employee of the dive company, Reef Seekers. The second group came back after the hour passed but the first group failed to resurface, she said.

Earlier, an official with the Komodo Divers Association said the group that returned comprised six snorkelers.

The missing included one British man and four women -- two from Great Britain, one from France and one from Sweden. Among those who went missing was one of the owners of the dive company, Kathleen Mitchinson, the employee said.

The seas that the divers were in are known to be dangerous because of their strong tides, and that's one theory being investigated in the divers' disappearance, the employee said.

The three other divers were identified as James Manning of Britain, Elena Neralairen of Sweden, and Lauren Pinel of France.

The above text is a combination of various news feeds, including CNN, Reuters, AP, etc.

hbh2oguard
06-07-2008, 08:14 PM
well that's a great ending:) which has seemed to be more common lately. But it sure seems like there have been quite a few incidents lately.

shinek
06-08-2008, 01:52 AM
Great news, I'll look forward to getting the whole story. I'm sure there's something in there we could all learn from. Firstly, how to avoid the situation and perhaps, how to get through it, should it happen.

hbh2oguard
06-09-2008, 02:37 AM
Stranded divers chase off Komodo dragon on island

By ALI KOTARUMALOS, Associated Press Writer Sun Jun 8, 2:14 PM ET

JAKARTA, Indonesia - Scuba divers swept away in strong currents survived 12 hours in shark-infested waters before scrambling onto a remote Indonesian island where they faced yet another threat: a Komodo dragon.

The divers — three from Britain and one each from France and Sweden — came face-to-face with the giant, carnivorous lizard on Rinca's palm-fringed beach, and fought it off by pelting it with rocks and pieces of wood, Pariman, a port official said Sunday.

"Luckily, they were able to chase it away," said Pariman, who, like many Indonesians, goes by only one name.

The beasts have sharp, serrated teeth and often come out when they smell something new, including humans — whom they've been known to kill, Pariman said.

The divers encountered treacherous currents after plunging from their wooden boat off Tatawa island on Thursday afternoon. They drifted 20 miles from their dive site before swimming to Rinca, their last chance to avoid being swept into the open ocean.

"We struggled against the current for several hours, but eventually stopped," Laurent Pinel, 31, of France, told The Sunday Times of London. The group tied their diving vests together to preserve energy, he said. Once on the island, they scraped mussels from the rocks for food, he said.

The divers ran into the Komodo dragon on Friday afternoon. The next day, rescuers aboard one of 30 boats searching the waters spotted them waving frantically on the shore and took them to Flores island for medical treatment.

The area where the diving trip took place is famous for its rich marine diversity, including sharks, manta rays and sea turtles. But it is also known for its treacherous and unpredictable seas.

Recommended only for experienced divers, it is in a place where the Indian and Pacific Oceans meet, creating currents that converge and separate. Whirlpools and eddies can pull divers downwards.

"We're safe, but absolutely exhausted and dehydrated," Charlotte Allin, a 25-year-old British diver, was quoted by The Sunday Times of London as telling her parents from the hospital where the group was taken.

Komodo dragons, which can grow up to 10 feet long and weigh as much as 365 pounds, are only found in the wild on Rinca and Komodo island. There are believed to be 4,000 left in the world.

Thousands of tourists visit the area in eastern Indonesia each year to see the lizards in their natural habitat. They are normally shown around the arid and rocky island by guides who carry large, forked sticks to ward off the animals.

From:http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080608/ap_on_re_as/indonesia_divers

shinek
06-09-2008, 04:32 PM
Scary, currents drag you away from your dive site, you spend hours in the water, you manage to get yourselves to the last island before currents take you out into thousands of miles of empty ocean and then you come face to face with a dragon! Not a good day!

I checked the DAN diving medicine book, plenty about jellyfish stings, fire corals, venomous fish and snakes, but couldn't find much related to a Komodo Dragon bite. Sounds like pelting with rocks and sticks worked pretty well, so I'll use that if I'm ever faced with that problem.

The Publisher
06-09-2008, 06:40 PM
I wonder what they did to get themselves so cornered where they would have to pelt a Dragon with rocks instead of just walking away.

I am glad it had a happy ending too.

acelockco
06-09-2008, 11:14 PM
Stranded divers chase off Komodo dragon on island

By ALI KOTARUMALOS, Associated Press Writer Sun Jun 8, 2:14 PM ET

JAKARTA, Indonesia - Scuba divers swept away in strong currents survived 12 hours in shark-infested waters....

This is why we have such a problem with sharks. Everyone hates them and it is the press and media that make people that way. Why were the waters listed as "shark-infested" ??? Were there thousands and thousands of sharks per square mile? How many sharks would there need to be in order for the water to be infested?

Were they attacked by sharks? NO, then why even bring up sharks?

The real question is how did they survive 12 hours in sea cucumber-infested waters? I hate those sea cucumbers, always attacking humans, darn man eaters.

hbh2oguard
06-09-2008, 11:43 PM
This is why we have such a problem with sharks. Everyone hates them and it is the press and media that make people that way. Why were the waters listed as "shark-infested" ??? Were there thousands and thousands of sharks per square mile? How many sharks would there need to be in order for the water to be infested?

Were they attacked by sharks? NO, then why even bring up sharks?

The real question is how did they survive 12 hours in sea cucumber-infested waters? I hate those sea cucumbers, always attacking humans, darn man eaters.

Oh come on, they need to sound extra brave:) Fighting off dragons, sharks, and of course those deadly sea cucumbers:)

The Publisher
06-10-2008, 12:26 AM
Don't laugh, I had a sea cucumber come right at me, chased me down, knocked my video camera right out of my hands, then ripped right through my mouthpiece hoses, then knocked me unconscious. No diver that has ever fought back has lived to tell. They're the most foul, cruel invertebrates you'd ever laid eyes on!

Some are vicious killers with mean streaks a mile wide! I've seen the bones of 50 divers strewn about their lairs! You've been warned!

;)

Papa Bear
06-10-2008, 01:16 AM
Don't laugh, I had a sea cucumber come right at me, chased me down, knocked my video camera right out of my hands, then ripped right through my mouthpiece hoses, then knocked me unconscious. No diver that has ever fought back has lived to tell. They're the most foul, cruel invertebrates you'd ever laid eyes on!

Some are vicious killers with mean streaks a mile wide! I've seen the bones of 50 divers strewn about their lairs! You've been warned!

;)

Well I don't know about that tale, but when attacked the will shot their intestines out their anus and it is foul and sticky! It repels most predators and looks painful! Talk about roids! WOW!

hbh2oguard
06-10-2008, 01:36 AM
Well I don't know about that tale, but when attacked the will shot their intestines out their anus and it is foul and sticky! It repels most predators and looks painful! Talk about roids! WOW!

you know I've tried to get them to do that but to no success. I don't know what the trick:confused: Squeezing just seems to get them to get shorter and fat. Even taking a bite (no not really) the picture I took was just a joke, and I highly doubt he'll see it here but I covered his face just to be safe:)

Papa Bear
06-10-2008, 02:34 AM
That would have been funny! The face that was covered? Defog! It would not have been a good time to see it work!:p

amtrosie
06-10-2008, 03:07 PM
Actually these Komodo Dragons are very aggressive, and will come after a human. They have been known to kill humans. Not common, but not all that uncommon. :(

acelockco
06-10-2008, 03:26 PM
OMG. It has been a while since I have had a laugh that good. :D:D:D

As far as the Komodo Dragons, I have heard the same thing. I am under the impression that it is fairly easy to stay out of their territory though as they only live in certain areas. I am sure a nice size stick would surely take one down as long as you were aware that it was heading toward you, not that I would want to kill or hurt one, but you have to defend yourself.

Anyway I suppose my original point is understood.

shinek
06-10-2008, 07:45 PM
Komodo Dragons, world's largest lizard, up to 10 feet long, weighing in at close to 300lbs, rows of needle-sharp teeth covered with highly toxic saliva containing 80 different kinds of bacteria. :eek: They don't just kill you on the spot, they bite and then follow you around for a day or two while you die from blood poisening. Once you collapse they just stroll in and start taking chunks. They can't chew so they just tear off big bits of you and swallow them down. Not a fun way to go.

Papa Bear
06-11-2008, 02:53 AM
Sounds like my Buddies ex-wife!

greenturtle
06-14-2008, 11:09 AM
you know I've tried to get them to do that but to no success. I don't know what the trick:confused: Squeezing just seems to get them to get shorter and fat. Even taking a bite (no not really) the picture I took was just a joke, and I highly doubt he'll see it here but I covered his face just to be safe:)

Think only some species do that? (making them spill their intestines) Btw, had a bad experience with that, the "intestines" aka cuvierian threads ARE sticky and they cause bad rashes! I uploaded one photo at my gallery with the threads sticking out.