PDA

View Full Version : Stay Safe

hbh2oguard
06-06-2008, 06:15 PM
Here's a list of very good tips to stay safe since summer is here for most of us. I didn't create the list but I'm just passing it on. I've added a few I thought were important so feel free to add to the list and pass it on. I also omitted a few that weren't pertinent to recreational diving. So here it it:

Know your diving limits, and stay well within them.

Don't fear calling off a dive for ANY reason.

Safety starts with the individual diver.

Prior to diving be healthy, rested and hydrated.

Plan appropriate bottom times based on depth, depth certification and air consumption. And then stick to the plan.

Manage air and decompression conservatively - on the surface with no less than 500psi after each dive, never allow your dive computer time at depth to be less than 10 minutes - especially critical on repetitive dives.

Ensure you are entering the water with an amount of gas that is appropriate for the task as well as a sharing air contingency.

Slow ascents (30 feet/minute) with safety stops of at least 3 minutes if the dive was deeper than 18 feet (longer if dives were strenuous or exceptionally cold).

Use a deep stop for any dive deeper than 60 feet (a deep stop = on ascent, stopping at 1/2 your maximum dive depth for 1 minute, then proceeding to your safety stop).

Take at least a 1 hour surface interval between dives - each diver should know how to use the planning mode on their dive computer to ensure that 1 hour is sufficient.

Stay hydrated throughout the day and stay as warm as possible between dives.

Use proper lifting technique and get help when lifting heavy loads - diving is hard enough on our bodies, don't make it harder.

Log your dives weekly in order to retain their accuracy - the longer you wait, the shorter your memory.

Papa Bear
06-07-2008, 03:02 AM
Good advise!

hbh2oguard
06-07-2008, 03:25 AM
Thanks, I can't take all the credit because only a quarter of it's what I added the rest is just passed on. But after all the recent incidents in the last few weeks we all just need to do a little risk management so were not the headlines of the next story.