PDA

View Full Version : How many of us are Instructors?

cudachaser
05-12-2008, 04:44 PM
Hi...Just Curious

I teach thru NASE and HSAI. My rating is is Instrutor-Trainer and Master Instructor

Been teaching over 30 years with NASDS, PADI and settled down with NASE about 10 years ago

Joe
www.cdscubaodyssey.com (http://www.cbscubaodyssey.com)

Diverdaniel
05-15-2008, 10:26 AM
Teach through SSI,IANTD,ANDI,CMAS
ratings are DCSI, Adv.EanxInstructor,CSU Instructor and ** instructor.

have been teaching 3 years, mostly SSI and ANDI.
Teach adv EANx thru IANTD.

Daniel

thalassamania
05-15-2008, 07:22 PM
I became an AI in 1969, I taught in the Scientific Diving Safety Program (IDS 407 (http://www.ucdivers.com/)) at U.C. Berkeley starting in 1972. I did my "recreational" instructor training with Lee Somers at the University of Michigan in 1976. I became a course director in 1982.

rubber chicken
05-16-2008, 09:23 AM
Newly qualified PADI OWSI with EANx Specialty.

kob159014
02-14-2009, 11:44 PM
PADI Master Instructor, EFR Instructor Trainer, DSAT Gas Blender Instructor, DAN O2 Instructor & some other stuff. This is my first post on this site, so thanks for allowing me to participate. Been diving since 1972 (yeah, I'm an old fart), started with NAUI, but switched to PADI & IANTD when my son wanted to learn in early 1990's. I have a carload of specialties that are popular in NE Ohio, like Nitrox, Deep, etc. Mostly I like teaching the experienced divers now, trying not to do too many Open Water courses.

padi613
02-15-2009, 11:20 AM
Hi cudachaser
With reference to your comments "how many of us are instructors" I was a registered instructor for several diving agencies but have recently resigned from all of them as the standard of instructorship is appalling and one of the agencies seems to be pursuing the notion that every body should be an instructor if you pay the going rate. Open water to instructor in less than a year who are they kidding. I'll keep to my scuba technician job/passtime and dive with buddies who are as experienced as me. Les

BlueDream
02-16-2009, 09:19 AM
Hello,
I have been teaching scuba diving since 1995, and presently hold status as an Adv Trimix Instructor Trainer with TDI, SDI and IANTD. I have multiple specialties as instructor / instructor trainer with agencies I currently am able to teach for. Additionally, I am a PADI Master Instructor, Medic First Aid Instructor and Emergency First Responder Instructor, NACD Full cave Instructor and a DAN Oxygen Instructor.

Diverdaniel
02-17-2009, 08:14 AM
several diving agencies but have recently resigned from all of them as the standard of instructorship is appalling and one of the agencies seems to be pursuing the notion that every body should be an instructor if you pay the going rate.

Sad but so true im afraid, even in the short time i have spent 2 years as DiveCon and then the 3 as an instructor, one way street, downhill :(
it looks like with the economic situation of the world today, everyone(agencies) is out to get the most ppl (money) makeing it gradually cheeper, corners get cut, instructor attitudes change, responsibility?! I have seen alot of pretty irresponsible instructors. Sad, and the new agencies that begin on the right track are also going commercial, problem is, you cant compete the cheapening agencies out there.
the good agencies are way too expensive for the average joe diver/non-diver that want to learn how to dive with the best instruction possible.

Open water to instructor in less than a year who are they kidding.

I have seen instructors from nondivers in less than 6 months.
also a divecon to instructor in less than 7 days.[/quote]

dive with buddies who are as experienced as me.

yup, the right and safer way to go in my eyes.

D

nudibranco
03-24-2009, 12:58 AM
I just joined as well and enjoy reading some threads already.
I started with NASE here in Italy and crossed into PADI early last year.
However my first dive was in the cold waters of Boston in 1978 ... I think :)
I own a dive center in Sardinia... so everybody is more than welcome to visit!

Andrea

www.diveaquarius.net (changing soon)

The Publisher
03-24-2009, 01:26 AM
I remember NASDS....I got certified at 13 years of age with them.

Ola
06-15-2010, 11:03 AM
Teaching mostly PADI programs since 1993 and loving it c",)

klemens Gann
07-22-2010, 03:30 AM
Been teaching PADI since 1995, did a crossover to NAUI a year later which I think is the better program but discontinued teaching it as nobody requested it. Here in the Philippines PADI is the only thing you can sell. Sad, but true.

acelockco
07-22-2010, 10:20 PM
Been teaching PADI since 1995, did a crossover to NAUI a year later which I think is the better program but discontinued teaching it as nobody requested it. Here in the Philippines PADI is the only thing you can sell. Sad, but true.

I understand completely as am trying to make the decision myself which way to go. I originally started my SCUBA training as NAUI and always had strong feelings about the quality of the NAUI training process. In my opinion it has always been the most in-depth training available.

I just got a job offer from my local dive shop which is SSI. I have to take a few classes in order to work there and the cost is really minimal compared to any other route for me. I do feel concerned though if in the future I decide to look for a job somewhere else I will have a difficult time finding someone looking for someone with SSI credentials. I know that PADI is the most popular route, but it is also a lot more costly (at least for me).

Klem, can you tell me more about what was involved in the crossover course. That might be the best idea of all, as I can focus on what is available to me now.

lars2923
07-25-2010, 01:35 AM
It's the Instructor that make the training. Not just the organization. If your in for the money, go with the organizations which people are looking for.

klemens Gann
07-25-2010, 12:41 PM
Yes Lars, you are right that the instructor is the main tool in the teaching process. Anyhow there are different ways the organizations structure their program. That's why I did a crossover to NAUI before as they do more on practice and snorkeling skills and also offer more freedom for the instructor in scheduling their in water-training. If you have to make a living from it you better teach which is asked by the customers and that is PADI in my case.
To get back to Ace's question.
As for the crossover you have to write 5 exams, physics,physiology,equipment, dive tables and skills and environment. Do a classroom session, teach confined and open water and do a few skills in the water like equipment exchange, distance swim underwater, distance snorkel underwater...
Compared to PADI you had to do a lot of skills and I liked it as they really taught you something. This is also 14 years ago so I have no idea what you have to do these days.
Klemens

LANCE
09-04-2010, 06:15 PM
I am an IDIA Master Instructor = Instructor Trainer. I have been diving for 20+.

Okeanos
09-22-2010, 08:53 PM
I'm an SDI/TDI instructor, only became an instructor in 2007 after diving for 8 years.

myscubastory
02-12-2011, 08:36 PM
Newly qualified PADI OWSI with EANx Specialty too! Loving it very much so! I want get teaching in Europe but dunno if ill be able to cope with ther colder waters. im only used to thai water at 31degrees celcius

acelockco
02-13-2011, 06:49 PM
Newly qualified PADI OWSI with EANx Specialty too! Loving it very much so! I want get teaching in Europe but dunno if ill be able to cope with ther colder waters. im only used to thai water at 31degrees celcius

Congratulations!!! It must feel amazing.

Oh, get yourself a drysuit and you will never be cold.

The Publisher
02-13-2011, 08:00 PM
....Oh, get yourself a drysuit and you will never be cold.

If you have ever gone cold water diving in a wetsuit then tried a drysuit, you will NEVER go back. It is like going from a Windoze PC to a Mac, you'll wonder what the heck you were thinking!

But then again diving exotic tropical sort of spoils one too!

acelockco
02-14-2011, 12:48 AM
If you have ever gone cold water diving in a wetsuit then tried a drysuit, you will NEVER go back. It is like going from a Windoze PC to a Mac, you'll wonder what the heck you were thinking!

But then again diving exotic tropical sort of spoils one too!

That is not a good comparison, especially considering most of the computer geeks would agree that a PC is much better then a CrackBook.

The Publisher
02-14-2011, 07:14 AM
That is not a good comparison, especially considering most of the computer geeks would agree that a PC is much better then a CrackBook.

Sure, it is better if one needs their sadomascochistic security blankie of trojan viruses, worm viruses, kleez viruses, having to run file defragmentation programs, disk optimization programs, updating their anti-virus software, doing a virus sweep, having to reload software that gets corrupted, having to boot from an emergency os disk when the main os becomes corrupted, having to download the entire hard drive and os to a separate drive, then uploading a new os version, then reimporting the data and hope for the best :p

Actually Windoze users often get REALLY good with their skills born out of necessity, me, I admit I don' t know didly because Macs and their software just always works and never has a problem, so I don't get to practice any advanced defensive skills.

All good natured ribbing, the Mac OS is built on an industrial stable Unix core, and that is where the real advantage comes into play...well, that and even dogs are smart enough not to poo where they sleep, which is why Mac users don't write viruses for their own OS.

Right now myscubastory is probably thinking: hey, can we all just talk about diving? lol

acelockco
02-14-2011, 05:01 PM
While it is true, my computer kung fu is strong because of all of those things you mentioned, you fail to recognize that all of that was in the past. Windows 7 is an entirely different OS and requires none of those previously needed skills.

BUT I STILL HAVE THEM.

Anyway, like I said before I have nothing against a MAC and feel it is great for someone that doesn't really want to learn how to use a real computer. My wife has a Macbook Pro. It is built beautifully, and Apple definitely has the best quality hardware out there. That being said, I feel completely lost on her Mac. Even the simplest tasks are extremely difficult for me on her computer. It doesn't make sense for me to waste time trying to figure out how to do something basic on her computer when I can dance around doing advanced things on mine with my eyes closed.

Right click on this and I will buy you a new re-breather.

Okeanos
02-18-2011, 07:57 PM
I spent 3h40m in water yesterday during 2 dives, 9C. Today I only did 1 dive lasting 2h18M. Never felt cold until I changed into my normal clothes.

Okeanos
02-18-2011, 07:59 PM
Right click on this and I will buy you a new re-breather.
Which rebreather? APD aren't shipping any new units as they have no cells, they're not the only ones with problems.

acelockco
02-19-2011, 04:12 AM
Which rebreather? APD aren't shipping any new units as they have no cells, they're not the only ones with problems.

Okeanos, the joke went right above your head.

The idea being that an Apple product lacks the right mouse button.

Okeanos
02-19-2011, 06:22 PM
Okeanos, the joke went right above your head.

The idea being that an Apple product lacks the right mouse button.
The only apple products I know are scrumpy and crumble, of course there's no right mouse button, there's no right mouse :D

p.s. if you don;t know what Scrumpy is, I'll help you out - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scrumpy