PDA

View Full Version : LA and Orange County Offshore Sites

bmchugh
05-11-2008, 05:22 PM
My dive buddy just picked up a ridged inflatable boat and we are looking for sites to take her out to in LA and Orange County's. I have some sites in San Diego County with GPS coordinates and am looking for some similar information up north. Thanks for the help.

Brian

The Publisher
05-11-2008, 07:08 PM
Brian,

We used to dive the wreck of the Star of Scotland which is about a mile in front of the Santa Monica Pier. You can launch from the ramps at Marina del Rey and it is about a 15-20 minute scenic ride to the Star.

acelockco
05-12-2008, 04:25 PM
My dive buddy just picked up a ridged inflatable boat and we are looking for sites to take her out to in LA and Orange County's. I have some sites in San Diego County with GPS coordinates and am looking for some similar information up north. Thanks for the help.

Brian

Check your local marinas and dive shops. Both should have some charts or books with GPS locations of the known wrecks/reefs in the area. I have some books by Garry Gentile that has that information about New Jersey, so there should be similar books about the waters off California. Just remember, many of the places you want to dive are also the places folks want to fish so divers are not your only source of information.

hbh2oguard
05-12-2008, 09:43 PM
I couldn't find what I did with the coordinates of the star of the scotland but they are online somewhere, just search and you should be able to find them. But I do have some for the Avalon which is 1mi off PV point. 33 deg 47.382'N 118 deg 25.655' W. Probably best to launch out of King harbor but it's pretty expensive there because it's only a crane. I've always gone out of MDR or Cabrillo.

bmchugh
05-14-2008, 04:12 AM
Thanks for the information. I'll have to give the wreck a try.

Brian