PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Fort Myers, FL

MRPerkins
05-05-2008, 09:38 PM
Brand new to the whole thing. My first lesson is on May 6th and I am sooooo geeked about it! Been wanting to do this for years and just finally realized I'm not gettin' any younger. Found this community and it's really helpful. I'm learning alot from all you seasoned divers. Thanks!

Sarah
05-05-2008, 09:46 PM
Welcome Mr. Perkins!

Take your time, don't rush anything, it takes a little while to get comfortable underwater, but EVERYONE eventually does.....sooner or later.

acelockco
05-05-2008, 11:44 PM
Glad to have you here. Just try to have as much fun as you can. This is a great sport/hobby that has something for every level of diver. You can have endless places to dive with just your basic scuba class, or oven more places with the many other more advanced classes out there. Bottom line is that no mater what direction your diving leads, you will have a blast. Not to mention that you live in a great place for diving, with so many places right in your own backyard to explore you can always keep busy diving.

lars2923
05-06-2008, 02:52 AM
Congratulations... You've taken the second step, attending a course.
The course will serve as the foundation for future dives to build upon.

The next step is to hook up with someone that dives, a lot. This will
provide you with someone to invite and guide you. You will catch on.

Watch your air, take pictures or video, you won't regret that decision,
practice buoyancy on every dive and drink plenty of fluid.

I live in NE FLA. If you are interested in a dive in the Springs, let me know.

What got you interested in Scuba?

MRPerkins
05-06-2008, 01:20 PM
Actually, my father got me interested in diving. He used to dive when he was younger and before his health issues. I loved hearing his stories. And, I always wanted to learn, but never had/made the time. He passed away a month ago and I promised myself that I would learn to dive as a tribute to him. So, this is for my Dad... and me.

The Publisher
05-06-2008, 02:37 PM
I am sure he'd be proud. :)

acelockco
05-07-2008, 09:26 PM
Actually, my father got me interested in diving. He used to dive when he was younger and before his health issues. I loved hearing his stories. And, I always wanted to learn, but never had/made the time. He passed away a month ago and I promised myself that I would learn to dive as a tribute to him. So, this is for my Dad... and me.

That is great. Once you actually get underwater you are going to be SO mad at yourself for not learning this sooner. This is only the very begining of all the great things that diving will bring you.

Glad to have you onboard.

Ace

MRPerkins
05-08-2008, 03:27 AM
Thanks so much for all the kind words of encouragement, everyone! It was my first pool session tonight and it was wonderful.. . I just kept thinking "wow, I am actually breathing under water!" Can't wait for the real scenery on the reef in 2 weeks. :D

acelockco
05-08-2008, 04:23 AM
Thanks so much for all the kind words of encouragement, everyone! It was my first pool session tonight and it was wonderful.. . I just kept thinking "wow, I am actually breathing under water!" Can't wait for the real scenery on the reef in 2 weeks. :D

If you think the pool sessions are cool, the reef is going to blow your mind. It is like a natural (and legal) acid trip. The colors and all of the movement of the fish are like a kilidiscope in your mask.

Just remember DON'T TOUCH THE CORAL! Seriously, most new divers are all over the coral because they are not 100% on their bouyancy yet, so keep that in mind. It does not take much to do some serious damage to the coral.

MRPerkins
05-08-2008, 02:33 PM
Just remember DON'T TOUCH THE CORAL! Seriously, most new divers are all over the coral because they are not 100% on their bouyancy yet, so keep that in mind. It does not take much to do some serious damage to the coral.

That's good advice, Ace. Years ago, I kept a reef aquarium and remember how delicate some of that stuff can be. Funny, I gave up the tank because I felt guilty about the harvesting of live coral, and now I could do damage because of my ineptitude. :o I'll stay well away from the coral until I have a little more finesse. Thanks for reminding me!

Mike

cudachaser
05-08-2008, 03:19 PM
Hello from the east coast!

Joe