PDA

View Full Version : Speedboat runs over divers in Egypt

Sarah
05-05-2008, 11:55 AM
AP-

An Egyptian medical official says two Polish scuba divers were killed when they were hit by a speedboat in the Red Sea resort city of Sharm el-Sheik.

The official at the Sharm el-Sheik hospital, Ibrahim Hassan Ali, says the bodies of a Polish man and a woman were brought to the hospital. He says the Polish embassy in Cairo will be notified of the Friday deaths.

Hospital authorities identified the Polish victims as Jona Kosic, 45, a man, and Wizo Kosic, 43, a woman.

Fatal scuba diving accidents happen occasionally in the Red Sea, where thousands of foreigners come annually to scuba dive because of the water's famous coral reefs.

acelockco
05-05-2008, 04:47 PM
I told them it was a bad idea to dive in the shipping lanes.

Seriously, I wonder what happened? I do know from my own personal experiences that most boaters don't know what a dive flag is, and a lot of them often boat right up to it to get a better look. Recently on a dive in Florida, our captain had to race over to one of the dive flags as a few guys in a boat were actually trying to pull it up out of the water. I think the Captain was very calm in the situation, I know I would have been flipping out!