PDA

View Full Version : Please vote for Tubbataha Reef

Socco
05-03-2008, 10:19 AM
There is a vote going on for the NEw 7 Wonders of the World. Tubbataha Reef is on the list and is ranked number 8 at the moment.

I have a particular fondness for the Philippines and would really like to see Tubbataha get into the top 7. But that aside, Tubbataha is a very important ecosystem as is contains so many species and it may be that if Tubbataha can get the recognition then it would become a World Heritage site.

I think this is a worthy goal and I know that the Philippines conservation effort could certainly use all the help it can get.

Please, please, please everyone, go click on this link and vote for Tubbataha. You can nominate and vote for other sites around the world as well but I would be our best bud for life if you vote for Tubbataha.

Thanks folks.

Graeme.

http://www.new7wonders.com/nature/en/nominees/asia/c/TubbatahaReefReef/

KaylinQ
05-07-2008, 04:15 PM
Just a slight correction.
Tubbataha Reef (http://whc.unesco.org/en/list/653) is actually already a World Heritage Site since 1993.
Either way I'd love to see Tubbataha Reef make the 7wondrs too!
:D

cudachaser
05-08-2008, 02:34 PM
If Kaylin likes it I'm all for it

Joe

Socco
05-09-2008, 05:40 AM
Hi Kaylin. Yep, you're right. I only found out myself about a week ago. I should have checked out my facts first. Thanks for your support.

Hi Cuda. Thanks buddy.

Keep spreading the word.

KaylinQ
05-10-2008, 01:05 AM
I've dove there several times actually on different occasions. It is a amazing place! Nothing like seeing turtles the size of a coffee table peacefully munching away, only a couple feet from you while you take pictures. Or swimming beside a Whale Shark almost 40 feet long. Manta rays taking the time to put on a show and play with you. Sharks lazing on the sand with schools of fish so thick you could get lost in them for days...lol.

Sadly yes it does need the help with the conservation effort. All the attention it can get will help. Recently several times Chinese fishing boats have been caught illegally fishing there. How many more that go uncaught though? Hats off to the people that patrol there though. Stuck out in the middle of nowhere with limited supply water and supplies. When we do go there we always donate water and stuff to them.

All else aside it is a worthy place to be one of the new 7 wonders. With so many few pristine places left in the world.

Socco
06-10-2008, 08:00 AM
I have been quiet for a while but here is a quick update on Tubattaha.

I have been checking out the voting on the New 7 Wonders website. I don't know what has happened but it seems that awareness is going up. In fact I would say that the voting has gone a little nuts because there are four sites from the Philippines in the top 10. Tubattaha is at number 2. If you want to track progress then follow the link below.

I cannot emphasize enough how important this site is. I guess I am singing to the choir though but the process ain't over until 2010.

Keep spreading the word folks. You know it is worth it.

Big G hug.

http://www.new7wonders.com/nature/en/liveranking/