PDA

View Full Version : New Breatholding Record

Papa Bear
04-30-2008, 10:53 PM
David Blane just set a breath holding water record 17.04.04!

acelockco
04-30-2008, 11:05 PM
David Blane? The same David Blane that is the street magician? If that is the case, then it is most likely not real. It has been proven time and time again that his trick are just that TRICKS.

Do you want to be a Blanetologist?

Papa Bear
04-30-2008, 11:16 PM
It was certified by Guinness Book of world records? So he fooled them? Our it was real? He broke the old record by 45 sec. if a trick you would think by more?

Papa Bear
05-01-2008, 12:45 AM
http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/news/la-na-blaine1-2008may01,0,3087252.story

acelockco
05-01-2008, 01:46 AM
OK, I found out some more info on this and it is for real.....sort of and a trick...sort of.

Here is the deal, he is not just holding his breath for that time as you would think. He prepares for this by doing things a normal person would not do. One of the things he does is sleep in a chamber that simulates the thin air at 15,000 feet. The other thing he does is breath pure oxygen before holding the pure oxygen as his last breath.

I don't know about all of you, but when I am thinking about someone holding their breath in water, I am picturing it as it was when I was a child. You know, three deep breaths, and then hold yourself under the pool ladder while your friend timed you.....LOL.... Hold on Timmy, I have to get out of my chamber....let me put on that oxygen mask........ok ready. I WIN!!!

Papa Bear
05-01-2008, 02:13 AM
Ace, your a hard audience! 17.4.04 is a long time between breaths! It was a category and your allowed to do the 02 for up to 30minutes! He did 23 minutes of it!

hbh2oguard
05-01-2008, 02:27 AM
Sorry but I'd be happy with 2 mins max, 17 is just unrealistic for most and no matter what you do it's a hell of a long time, breathing O2 etc isn't a trick just a little help.:)

acelockco
05-01-2008, 03:14 AM
Ace, your a hard audience!

I am though.

Really, I am just playing one side of the story, hopefully it strums up some conversation. There has not been a lot going on here recently except for a few of us. I think everyone is out enjoying the nice weather and diving, at least I hope.

thalassamania
05-01-2008, 05:23 AM
It''s not really that big a deal. You don't need to sleep in chambers or do big deal training, but you do need to breathe pure oxygen for some period before hand. I watched one of the Docs from SUNY Buffalo (I think it was Lundgren) do it at the second Tec Conference ... he held his breathe, without looking like it was any effort, for 15 minutes.

Tigerbeach
05-01-2008, 03:12 PM
Breath holding on O2 is completely different than free diving to 110 feet...

acelockco
05-01-2008, 03:53 PM
Breath holding on O2 is completely different than free diving to 110 feet...

OK, is it free diving if you use Oxygen?

Tigerbeach
05-01-2008, 04:43 PM
I did it snorkeling.

My take on it is "free diving" comes from "free air."

shinek
05-01-2008, 04:48 PM
Saw this and thought it was interesting, but only slightly more interesting than some of the other records Guinness certifies. How long can you walk around holding a brick in one hand? How many people can you fit in a Mini? How many coins can you catch when stacked on your elbow? All valid records in their own right, but with limited practical application.;) Wasn't there one recently where a dive club broke the record for playing poker underwater?

I believe the record for breath holding without the aid of breathing pure oxygen is close to 9 minutes. That's pretty impressive.

Apparently Blaine is going to try to break the record for staying awake next but Guinness no longer recognises that one due to "health concerns". It seems drowning is not that big of a health concern for them.:D