PDA

View Full Version : Swimmer killed by Great White!

Papa Bear
04-25-2008, 06:55 PM
Great White kills swimmer at Salano Beach in San Diego county near Delmar. Beaches closed till Monday. 12' to 17' Shark. On Sandy bottom.

shinek
04-25-2008, 08:17 PM
Tragic for this man and his family, my condolences to them. Sounds like a classic case of a "test bite" as the shark just bit once and then left. Unfortunately a test bite from a shark that size is likely to cause pretty serious injuries and, in this case despite best efforts by other swimmers and the paramedics, it looks like he bled out before they could get him to hospital.

acelockco
04-25-2008, 11:02 PM
That sucks, I feel very sorry for his family, but why close the beach?

Do they think the shark is done vacation this weekend and is going home? I just don't get it?

Papa Bear
04-26-2008, 03:37 AM
Don't you remember Jaws? The Major didn't want to close the beach and more died! No one in Lefty coast California wants to expose themselves to such decision as let people be informed and make their own decisions!:eek: :confused: It's the water that's closed, you can still go to the beach!;)

We at the "Feel good state" wish to assure the rest of the country we will do everything we can to help you feel better! And no Sharks were fed or chummed and yet people still got bit! Maybe the shark was a Bull Shark on vacation from the Bahamas?:eek: :rolleyes:

PinayDiver
04-26-2008, 02:37 PM
A week before the attack, surfers reported a stranded seal pup on the beach. Media guessed that there may have been a pod nearby, luring in the shark.
Every time I see footage of the helicopter (which warned swimmers and surfers to get out of the water with "a man had been bitten by a shark" -- that's just your childhood nightmare come to life!) scanning the water for a shark, I always wonder, what can they possibly do to it IF they even find it; the ocean is its element after all. It's just this false sense of taking control, post-accident.

acelockco
04-26-2008, 02:54 PM
This entire thing REALLY pisses me off. One person gets bitten by a shark and now they are "SEARCHING" for this "KILLER" shark. That sound CRAZY and it is such a shame. We are vicious animals that kill anything that gets in our way.

They should never close the beach, the water, or anything else for a shark attack. When someone gets bitten by a dog, they don't close the streets and do a search for all dogs. It is a freak accident and should be treated as such!

hbh2oguard
04-26-2008, 07:57 PM
After a fatal attack, closing a beach is extremely common! The reason they search for the shark is to study it, and to warn people nearby. It's not going to be killed it's protected! Even if a shark is sighted there's laws requiring signs to be put up so why shouldn't the water be closed for a few days?

Sarah
04-27-2008, 02:54 PM
That's horrible...but if they don't close the beach, lawyers will sue if someone gets hurt...maybe we can just get them to swim....

acelockco
04-27-2008, 03:06 PM
Sue who? The shark?

I still don't get it about closing the beach? There are always sharks and fish in the water, they are not going away (unless we eventually kill them all that is). The only reason I can see that they close the beach is to help get folks worked up and hating sharks....you know help the media out.

The entire thing is nuts.

acelockco
04-27-2008, 03:07 PM
After a fatal attack, closing a beach is extremely common! The reason they search for the shark is to study it, and to warn people nearby. It's not going to be killed it's protected! Even if a shark is sighted there's laws requiring signs to be put up so why shouldn't the water be closed for a few days?

Study what? Are they going to catch it to study? How could they ever know if it was the same shark? THEY CAN'T, all they are doing is wasting EXPENSIVE fuel looking for nothing, just to get the media hype.

NITROHOWARD
04-27-2008, 05:07 PM
Just Throw The Lawers In. Problem Solved

amtrosie
04-27-2008, 05:52 PM

I love it!!!!

But that would put all the marine animals on the endangered species list, we can not allow that! They will get destroyed :eek:

bottlefish
04-27-2008, 06:50 PM
How can they study the shark, or even find it for that matter. It's not going to be wandering around with a sign around it's neck saying "It was me!" Although closing the beach was perhaps a valid approach, to try and avoid the ghouls going to look for more or hunters trying to act a revenge, or perhaps just to do what the uneducated public would expect?

It's a tragic accident, the familly must be suffering, my thoughts go to them...

But what worries me is that this is the third fatality worldwide in two months, there was only one for the whole year last year (perhaps a reaction to all this chumming we're doing :p ), each fatality is bad press for the sharks and their conservation, fair foder for the idiots who like to paint the sensationalist picture, make them out to be man eaters and feed the already tattered public misconception.

scuba smurf
04-27-2008, 09:44 PM

but wouldn't that go against pollution laws?

Papa Bear
04-27-2008, 11:15 PM
It is the first Shark Death since 1959 (Southern Calif) and no one was chumming! White Sharks are protected in California, like everything else except Taxpayers, I am surprised the Swimmers weren't cited for harassing the shark in California waters by teasing it with a potential meal!

http://www.twotankedproductions.com/images/480_DSC00984_Bull_Shark_Beqa_Lagoon_08.jpg

hbh2oguard
04-28-2008, 02:00 AM
But what worries me is that this is the third fatality worldwide in two months, there was only one for the whole year last year (perhaps a reaction to all this chumming we're doing :p ).

Huh:confused: Where are you getting your data and what's it for? It's not for CA or the world.

hbh2oguard
04-28-2008, 02:03 AM
Sue who? The shark?

The entire thing is nuts.

No the public agencies that didn't close the beach! Since it was a state beach that means the state of CA. Which then means it comes of the parks budget which is already cut in half so insted of over half the parks closing they will just close them all. There is a lot that can be studied(location, migration, behavior...) and if a white shark is spotted within a certain area it's quite possible it's the same one.

Papa Bear
04-28-2008, 02:11 AM
I know, but what would be wrong with posting "Shark sighting" or "Shark attack" "Enter water at you own risk" of course that would assume people should be responsible for themselves! The down side would be any Guard who felt compelled to have to go in to help someone who got in trouble therefore endangering others! It would have to be you're on your own! :eek:

hbh2oguard
04-28-2008, 04:06 AM
people are dumb they don't read signs

Papa Bear
04-28-2008, 04:34 AM
That's because, like laws, there are too many of them!;)

bottlefish
04-28-2008, 07:23 AM
Huh:confused: Where are you getting your data and what's it for? It's not for CA or the world.

There were 71 shark attacks world wide in 2007, of which one was fatal... source ISAF

http://www.flmnh.ufl.edu/fish/sharks/statistics/statsw.htm

There have been three fatalaties that I have heard of this year, the Austrian Lawyer, a 16 year old surfer in Australia, and now this one.

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601081&sid=aqpsTxuliaGI&refer=australia

(Papa, the chumming thing was a joke, so keep your hair on :))

Papa Bear
04-28-2008, 03:01 PM
Chum is no joke Chum, but Global Warming! Now that's funny stuff! :p Now the world wide attack problem is really scaring me, you now have a 1 in two billion chance of being killed by a shark! Stay out of the water! And for god sake don't let your legs dangle!

hbh2oguard
04-28-2008, 07:46 PM
There were 71 shark attacks world wide in 2007, of which one was fatal... source ISAF

http://www.flmnh.ufl.edu/fish/sharks/statistics/statsw.htm

There have been three fatalaties that I have heard of this year, the Austrian Lawyer, a 16 year old surfer in Australia, and now this one.

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601081&sid=aqpsTxuliaGI&refer=australia

(Papa, the chumming thing was a joke, so keep your hair on :))

Thanks for the site! Those numbers seem really low for the whole world though. There seems to be some peaks so three so far doesn't see super out of normal, one last year is just lower than normal.

bottlefish
04-28-2008, 08:17 PM
Yeah, you're probably right... I just flinch whenever I hear a shark attack story, I can hear the media wheels grinding into another meal to feed their uneducated readers.

Re the numbers, these are reported attacks, many places wont bother or dont know how, so perhaps not encompassing all... but even so, IMHO I doubt it would be that many more.

acelockco
04-29-2008, 03:46 AM
Well, at this point the sharks are way behind. We kill about 100 MILLION of them a year just for their fins. When sharks catch up, then we should think about doing something, until then maybe we are blaming the wrong animal. If humans had not overpopulated this planet as much as they have, then shark attacks would be even less. (think about that)

Think about the number 100 MILLION as well, every year...who are the animals?

amtrosie
04-29-2008, 02:41 PM
Well, at this point the sharks are way behind. We kill about 100 MILLION of them a year just for their fins. When sharks catch up, then we should think about doing something, until then maybe we are blaming the wrong animal. If humans had not overpopulated this planet as much as they have, then shark attacks would be even less. (think about that)

Think about the number 100 MILLION as well, every year...who are the animals?

100 million?

Where do you get that figure? That is way too steep!

hbh2oguard
04-29-2008, 04:45 PM
100 million?

How about 100 billion???:)

acelockco
04-29-2008, 06:37 PM
100 million?

http://www.sharkwater.com/education.htm

bottlefish
04-29-2008, 11:25 PM
100 million?

The figures depend on where you read. Fisheries estimate it at between 60-70 million a year, based on declared figures from "legitimate" operations - but they don't take into consideration the illegal/undeclared catches.

Sharkwater, conservation action groups etc have estimated it as much higher, given that not all operations work within guidelines.

acelockco
04-30-2008, 01:31 AM
Whatever, 60 Million, 100 Million, it does not matter that number is insanely high, and if we don't do something about it, we will eventually kill them all. I guess we are just the cancer of the earth, humans that is.

bottlefish
04-30-2008, 07:27 AM
Absolutely, even the lower figure of 60 million is completely unsustainable. But it's like everything else, not enough people care or make the effort, the vast majority still believe that, as masters of this planet, we can do as we wish.

Anyway, way off topic, and probably encroaching on the grounds of another environmentally "discussion",think I'll back out and leave it where it is ;)