PDA

View Full Version : How strict are the airlines and which one should I take.

SCUBA411
04-24-2008, 12:40 AM
I will be traveling from Cebu to Manila in late May and will be carrying a full set of gear (sans tanks), extra masks/fins/snorkels, several books, a weeks worth of clothes and other odds and ends. My two questions are is there an airline which routinely waives fees for the extra weight and is there a viable alternative between Cebu and Manila (fast Ferry?) that could get me there relatively quickly? I searched through the websites of several shipping companies to no avail.

Any help would be greatly appreciated...

acelockco
04-24-2008, 01:42 AM
I think you are going to have to bite the bullet, it seems like all of the airlines have been strict with the baggage lately. You should plan on bringing an extra bag, of course they will love charging you for it.

It could be cheaper than buying something that breaks while away though.

Diver Dennis
04-24-2008, 02:51 AM
Air Philippines will not charge you for dive gear up to 25kgs if you show them your C-card. Other airlines here charge about 85 cents a kilo for domestic flights.

amtrosie
04-26-2008, 01:06 AM
My two questions are is there an airline which routinely waives fees for the extra weight?

Any help would be greatly appreciated...

What needs to be understood here is the fact that weight costs more money for the airlines in the form of extra fuel to carry that weight. I am not too thrilled that they have reduced the weight limit so much. The airlines are looking for any and all means to be compensated for the rising fuel costs.

Diver Dennis
04-26-2008, 02:52 AM
He was just asking which airlines would waive the fees.

amtrosie
04-26-2008, 05:07 PM
He was just asking which airlines would waive the fees.

Not very likely to happen with the airlines looking in every nook-and-cranie for the last source of revenue. We as divers are going to have to get used to this and adapt as needed.

Diver Dennis
04-27-2008, 12:07 AM
Perhaps if you read my first post you would see I found one that does, one that I use regularly...

[QUOTE]Air Philippines will not charge you for dive gear up to 25kgs if you show them your C-card./QUOTE]

lars2923
04-27-2008, 12:44 AM
Service is about the same, go with the lowest offer.

SCUBA411
04-27-2008, 02:31 AM
Not very likely to happen with the airlines looking in every nook-and-cranie for the last source of revenue. We as divers are going to have to get used to this and adapt as needed.

Amtrosie,

My question was specific to inter Island travel in the Republic of the Philippines. While I appreciate your response, have you ever been to the RP? I understand this is a practice which occurs in that nation primarily to encourage tourism. As Dennis pointed out PAL is the airliine which provides that service.:)

Diver Dennis
04-27-2008, 05:11 AM
PAL does not but Air Phils does...:) Air Philippines is part of PAL though.

acelockco
04-27-2008, 03:03 PM
Amtrosie,

My question was specific to inter Island travel in the Republic of the Philippines. While I appreciate your response, have you ever been to the RP? I understand this is a practice which occurs in that nation primarily to encourage tourism. As Dennis pointed out PAL is the airliine which provides that service.:)

Why don't you make things easier on yourself. Instead of asking the question here and then not liking the answers you get, why don't you pick up the telephone or write an email to the airlines that offer the flight you want. That way you can be sure to get the CORRECT answer and will not be upset when you arrive at the gate with an unexpected bill.

amtrosie
04-27-2008, 05:48 PM
Amtrosie,

My question was specific to inter Island travel in the Republic of the Philippines. While I appreciate your response, have you ever been to the RP? I understand this is a practice which occurs in that nation primarily to encourage tourism. As Dennis pointed out PAL is the airline which provides that service.:)

Funny you should ask, I lived in the PI for 2 years, and I have flown Philippine Airlines. While that may have been quite a few years ago, the issues that airlines are facing are world wide, and today's fuel prices are globally affecting. To add to that, I have been involved in the aviation industry for almost 30 years.

I have an idea of what I speak

SCUBA411
04-27-2008, 07:02 PM
Why don't you make things easier on yourself. Instead of asking the question here and then not liking the answers you get, why don't you pick up the telephone or write an email to the airlines that offer the flight you want. That way you can be sure to get the CORRECT answer and will not be upset when you arrive at the gate with an unexpected bill.

What me upset :) . Funny you should suggest that, I had been trying to call CEBU PACIFIC for a few days before I posted and have unfortunately been unsuccesful...

I think the best choice is to wait until I am on the ground in Cebu next month and then figure it out, I will be there for 10 days before I need to be up in Bolinao.

Diver Dennis
04-28-2008, 01:09 AM
Funny you should ask, I lived in the PI for 2 years, and I have flown Philippine Airlines. While that may have been quite a few years ago, the issues that airlines are facing are world wide, and today's fuel prices are globally affecting. To add to that, I have been involved in the aviation industry for almost 30 years.

I have an idea of what I speak

Hi amtrosie, where about did you live? The diving here is great, which spots did you like best?