PDA

View Full Version : Been to Dutch Springs, Pa?

CAN2
04-15-2008, 02:51 AM
Looking for recommendations/comments on Dutch Springs Pennsylvania. Been diving the Quarry at Haymarket Virginia and looking for some alternatives. Thanks for your suggestions!

acelockco
04-15-2008, 03:30 AM
If you enjoy quarry diving, Dutch Springs is one of the best to dive in, if not the best. They are a very professional full service operation. The water is cold, but very clear (it looks like tropical blue water). There are a lot of underwater attractions. It is very nice, but expensive in my opinion.

If you have any specific questions, let me know.

lars2923
04-15-2008, 04:19 AM
You gotta dive... So dive Dutch..
It is cold... Freekin cold...

CAN2
04-15-2008, 02:41 PM
Super thanks! I appreciate your responses to all of my posts. We'll look to head up to Dutch Springs in the next several weeks.

All the best, Chris

acelockco
04-15-2008, 05:04 PM
I know a few divers from here and from divebuddy.com that are going to the DUI Dog Days at Dutch next month. I think it is May 16th and 17th, but I am not 100% sure.

lars2923
04-15-2008, 05:34 PM
Well,

If you're heading to Dutch and DUI will be there... A drysuit is the
way to dive Dutch...

It's freekin co-co-co-cooooold..

acelockco
04-15-2008, 11:28 PM
Yes it is COLD really FREAKING COLD, but it does warm up somewhat during the summer and into the fall. I am thinking the water temp is getting close to 50 degrees or so. And yes, dry is pretty much the only way to go there this time of year. Don't get me wrong, a few years back we went this time of year in 7mm farmer john wet suits. We were fine, for about 5 minutes then we started to shiver, after about 10 minutes in it started to become painful, by 15 minutes we had ended the dive.

Mountain Dog
04-20-2008, 07:21 PM
CAN2-

You live a lot closer to Lake Rawlings than Dutch. It's in southern Virginia. Rawlings is actually quite awesome for quarry diving. Because of a large zebra mussel population, the water is very clear - 40-60 ft is normal, although it can get stirred up on weekends when there are classes.

The place is full of sunken things...including an airplane that sits mid-water column on a tripod. They just put it in, and I haven't seen it myself yet, but it is said to be very cool.

Most of the quarry is just over 30 ft deep, but there is a large section that drops down to over 60 ft. A couple of sunken hulls down in the shadows at the bottom add just the right amount of creepiness.

It's cold at this time of year...around 50 degrees in the deep section. But it does warm up as the summer goes along.

They have tons of camping, cabin rentals, air fills, and gear rental all on-site.

Also, check out Willow Springs in southern PA. Nice place, lots of sunken toys, camping and air fills. Biggest problem is limited viz - unless green is your favorite color. I've been there a few times and liked it. Ace practically lives there and can tell you a lot more about it.

Mountain Dog

acelockco
04-20-2008, 08:14 PM
Yes, I do, but I am trying to move to some saltwater. I really miss living at the shore, time will tell.

I really do love Willow Springs though, just because of how chill it is there. You can't get any more laid back than that place!

divertodd1
04-25-2008, 06:00 PM
I live in Harrisburg PA so I have been wet in both Dutch and Willow. I love Willow as well...this time of year the vis isn't normally to bad. Once it gets warmer though...the algea does indeed bloom!. There is also Bainbridge sportsmans club just south of Harrisburg (Near three mile Island) that is very nice to dive, The area surrounding the actual quarry is a bit more "rustic" than are Dutch or Willow ...but the diving is great.:)

acelockco
04-25-2008, 06:58 PM
Nice, I live near Willow so if you are in the area to dive let me know and maybe we can meet up. The algae bloom has not been nearly as bad in the past as the new owners have been treating the water with bales of barley.

Ace

Daddy-h2O
04-26-2008, 02:42 AM
I love going to Dutch, and try to make the trip 3 times a year. Cold is relative, ther are hot showers.... Vis wonders depending on number of divers at a location. But I dive in the Finger Lakes so anything over 15' vis is awsome to me....

If you have never been it is worth the trip...

amtrosie
04-26-2008, 05:12 PM
When I lived in the area, I was up there every opportunity. The varied environment that training there provides is too good to pass up.