PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Arizona

Aj Al
04-11-2008, 01:43 AM
I found this board on a google search during my lunchtime so I wanted to say hello now.
My name is alex. I was certified in may of 05. I only had 4 dives in the 3 months following and they were only to about 35 feet. All my dives were in local lakes, so experience in the ocean, I seriously lack. Last weekend I completed my refresher course to find out how much I had forgotten... it's like riding a bike. I currently don't have a dive buddy so going diving is hard to do at times.

I am going to Cozumel in a couple of weeks for my birthday and don't really know what to expect. I am very excited and can't wait to go.
I joined the board more for knowledge rather than what I can give. Maybe in the future I can help someone else out, as for now any and all help and advise is greatly appreciated.

In the future I will continue my diver education and continue to climb the ladder. Don't know how far at this time.

If all goes well in Cozumel, I plan to go and dive with Great Whites in Sept/Oct off the coast of San Franscisco, in a cage of course!!! Hopefully after that I will be able to see alot of other places. I don't really get to go too many places so I try to make the best of my trips.

One question I do have... Since I am unsure if my travel to Cozumel will be with someone or alone, do I have to have a dive buddy to go on dives with a group or do they stay in a "pack"? I don't know how this works. I don't want to go down there and have to sit on a beach. I wanna dive.... and eat of course. It's always about the food.

The Publisher
04-11-2008, 02:04 AM
Welcome to the SMN Community Alex.

It doesn't make a difference whether you travel with a buddy or alone, your divemaster will pair you up with a buddy or you will part of a multi-person team.

Just let them know you are a beginning diver with only lake experience and start out with the easy stuff. Remember, it is all about having safe fun. If you are not comfortable with a type of dive, tell them so.....they should bend over backwards to make your diving enjoyable and within your limits.

But we'll expect a trip report! lol

shinek
04-11-2008, 02:27 AM
Welcome to the gang. There was a bit of discussion on the forum recently about Cozumel, take a look at;

Cozumel Questions May 2008 - ScubaMagazine.net Forum (http://www.scubamagazine.net/showthread.php?t=1716)

If that doesn't work it was under the "basic diving discussions" thread and called "Cozumel Questions May 2008". Quite a few suggestions in there if you haven't got the trip completely booked up yet. There's also a section in the travel stuff specifically on Cozumel which may be worth a visit.

Been to Cozumel a number of times and there's some great diving down there. As the Publisher said, any decent dive operation will take good care of you and if you hang around close to the Divemaster they are great at spotting the more elusive and interesting creatures.

Have a great time and let us know how it goes.

acelockco
04-11-2008, 06:12 AM
Glad to see you found us, you will find lots of information and answers to all of your diving questions. Now, get diving and have fun!

seasnake
04-11-2008, 04:43 PM
oh, and we're jealous you're going to Cozumel ... :p

Aj Al
04-12-2008, 01:18 AM
oh, and we're jealous you're going to Cozumel ... :p

I hear that alot.

thanks all, I will have a report when I return. It should be exciting.