PDA

View Full Version : Hello from a new Scuba-Cat

scuba-cat
04-03-2008, 03:20 AM
Ex-pat, English and living in Dallas, Texas. You'd think there was no diving in Texas, but you'd be wrong. I'm a DM and most summer weeks and weekends involved with classes and lake weekends, doing what DMs do! Texas lakes sound a lot like UK coastal waters, except for the summer temps. Never done any UK diving but my first dive was in cold water - but at Catalina Island, California back in 1998, in amongst the kelp. Since then most vacations have been spent in all sorts of places diving; some of the most memorable are Micronesia (Kosrae), Belize, Caymans, Dutch Antilles (A, B, C), Cozumel, Bahamas, Bimini, California, Florida, Cabo and others.

In the winter skiing is my passion and it's hard to beat those Alps, but Colorado and Wyoming are becoming firm favorites - and they're a bit nearer to DFW. I hang up my fins and get out those planks in the winter.

I learnt to dive (PADI) in CA and then did no more training until I got to Texas in '04 but I continued to dive. I ran through Advanced, Rescue and DM in 2 years and went through a DM internship, then recently crossed over to SSI (Dive Con). I have more than 350 dives, not counting all training dives.

Favorite destination so far is Micronesia and the Caymans.
Wish list is Australia (Coral Sea) and the Galapagos after a scheduled trip last year went wrong following the Ecuador government issues there. Also, Asia - Thailand, Indonesia - all sorts of places. So much to see, so little time!

Happy and safe diving to one and all.

Papa Bear
04-03-2008, 03:52 AM
Well welcome aboard, hope you enjoy yourself! Jump right in!:D

scuba-cat
04-03-2008, 04:23 AM
You sound as if you know me well........and we've only just met!

The Publisher
04-03-2008, 04:37 AM
Thanks for joining up scuba-cat!

lars2923
04-03-2008, 06:49 PM
[QUOTE=scuba-cat;12308]Ex-pat, English and living in Dallas, Texas. You'd think there was no diving in Texas, but you'd be wrong. I'm a DM and most summer weeks and weekends involved with classes and lake weekends, doing what DMs do! Texas lakes sound a lot like UK coastal waters, except for the summer temps. QUOTE]

I moved from Dallas to Florida.. I sure do miss Dallas.
Which shop do you work out of? I use to work out of Oceans Window in Plano.. Now it's Adventure Scuba...

Been to Terrell yet?
Athens?
Lake Travis?
etc...

scuba-cat
04-07-2008, 03:04 AM
Hi lars, I work with Crazyscuba.com - you'll probably know it as Aqua Adventures and they were on Greenville Ave, but now moved to PGBT/Jupiter. I know Adventure Scuba as do most of the folks around the dive stores in Dallas. Our first lake weekend this year is in Athens in 2 weeks. Brrrrrrr. Might get the vis that Calvin always swears to, but it will be chilly! Been to Terrell and Travis. Love Travis when the vis is good and when there is some water in it!!! However, none of that beats FL diving. Lucky you. I think I'd swop the cowboys and heat for the ocean and the rain - even the hurricanes maybe, but I do love Texas. :)

lottie
04-07-2008, 12:48 PM
Hi scubacat, welcome to our little space.

lars2923
04-08-2008, 12:58 AM
Hi lars, I work with Crazyscuba.com - you'll probably know it as Aqua Adventures and they were on Greenville Ave, but now moved to PGBT/Jupiter. I know Adventure Scuba as do most of the folks around the dive stores in Dallas. Our first lake weekend this year is in Athens in 2 weeks. Brrrrrrr. Might get the vis that Calvin always swears to, but it will be chilly! Been to Terrell and Travis. Love Travis when the vis is good and when there is some water in it!!! However, none of that beats FL diving. Lucky you. I think I'd swop the cowboys and heat for the ocean and the rain - even the hurricanes maybe, but I do love Texas. :)

Calvin.. Now there's a name I haven't heard in awhile.
Dock 3 was my hangout..
Just to the right of the dock, that patch of grass on the other side of the
tree is what we coined "Diver City." It is where we pitched tent for the weekend.

Do you wear a drysuit? It's really hard for me to wear wet after going dry.
It helps in Athens and Terrell..

When I was going the Athens in the early 2K's, Calvin was putting Alum
in the water to clear it up.. Vis use to be like 50+ feet.. It was awesome..
He tried cat fish once, but that lasted about a month.. nothing for the little ***** to eat.. Belly up...

Yea, I now the shop your talking about. I can't remember the owners name though.. It's been awhile...

If you feel like making it out this way and do some ocean and cavern, look me up..

cheers,