PDA

View Full Version : did I just have a packing epiphany?

allisonfinch
01-20-2007, 11:54 PM
:confused:

OK, for you golfers out there. Most US carriers allow a free third bag if it is a golf bag. Is that the same on international flights??? If so, why not get a golf bag to pack extra dive/photo/clothes equip. in? It is not like TSA could give a crap about what is really in there. put a couple of cheap putters in andtruthfully say, "yup, those are my clubs".

WHY NOT????:D

Zero
01-21-2007, 04:01 AM
There is a bag maker that does it i think for kite surfing. Everything looks like a golf bag on the outside but its all padded and shaped for boards and chutes inside. Very much worth the try. Just put clothes and other nonessential items in it so if it does get stopped or they want to charge you for it just dump it and buy more clothes when you get there.

Matt

Zero
01-25-2007, 10:05 AM
http://www.naishkites.com/products/soft_tech/softtech_core_golf.html
With all the savings on excess baggage you could take me:D :D :D
Hope this helps

Matt

WeatherPaparazzi
01-26-2007, 01:17 AM
On a dive trip last year I brought my Equinox underwater housing with for my Sony PD170. The TSA Freaked at the case when they went to pick it up with the slab of lead that is in the case. They were not too concerned about what was IN the case in Minneapolis an even told me to lock the case before putting it through the scanner since I was standing right there with the key to open it.

On the other hand coming back from Fort Myers, they have a behind the scenes inspection process and they cut the lock off and searched the gear. As much as I have traveled around it all depends on which airport you go to, what time of day, and who is working. If someone is being a dick and having a bad day then who knows what could happen to your gear.

Papa Bear
03-12-2008, 04:30 AM
:confused:

OK, for you golfers out there. Most US carriers allow a free third bag if it is a golf bag. Is that the same on international flights??? If so, why not get a golf bag to pack extra dive/photo/clothes equip. in? It is not like TSA could give a crap about what is really in there. put a couple of cheap putters in andtruthfully say, "yup, those are my clubs".

WHY NOT????:D

Because airlines even have rules as to how many golf balls you can have. 12 max. So I don't think they will buy it. Now they are trying to cut back even more. Continental will allow 70lbs of Dive gear and others have sports gear exceptions. The problem many agents don't know. So print it out and take to the counter when you check in.

littleleemur
03-12-2008, 05:39 PM
Most of them are charging for the golf bag now :(

They're even weighing them but so far (fingers crossed) I haven't been penalized for having 2 sets in one bag.