PDA

View Full Version : Cozumel Questions May 2008

Conrad
03-28-2008, 03:07 AM
Well I'm excited... going to Cozumel May 2008 for open water dives and Advanced open water dives. Any suggestions on Hotel and Dive shop

In January I was there at Iberostar and used Dressel, Enjoyed whole trip. Just don't think I need all inclusive, Unfortunately friend bailed so I am going alone:( . To bad so sad but I'm not letting that stop me.

I have been looking at the Cozumel Scuba Club but do not know anyone that has been there.

Any and all Suggestions would be appreciated:D

Papa Bear
03-28-2008, 03:09 AM
Dive Shop Cozumel or Sand Dollar Sports are both good as well many others. It is so competitive that they all have to keep sharp. Festa Americana, Paradisuse, and Reef Club are all good as well.

Sarah
03-28-2008, 03:34 AM
Conrad, yes, I have a suggestion...bring back a trip report with photos! lol ;)

lars2923
03-28-2008, 10:03 AM
Scuba Club is nice, from what my dive buddies tell me.
Their price is right, you are near town, etc... You are a little
farther away from the reefs. What can you do?

I've always stayed at Fiesta Americana.
Dive House is great and on site. It's far enough away from town,
yet close enough too and they're close to the reefs.

I am heading down in June for 14 days..
I will be staying at Casa Del Mar with some friends...
$129/night All inclusive... Sweet!

I'll hit Cozumel first, then over to the main land and heading to Mahahaul for
5 days of some of the most pristine and awesome diving you can ever
imagine. Shhhh. Don't tell anyone.. It's Cozumel 20 years ago
with reefs that are virgin.. I'll be using Dreamtime Resorts; dreamtimediving.com

Good luck,

cajunscuba
03-28-2008, 06:34 PM
I'll be staying at Scuba Club Cozumel in Mid May. If your trip is after the 19th, I'll have a trip report for you to read.

Conrad
03-28-2008, 07:00 PM
It looks like I will be in cozumel May 3 - 10, Have not decided yet on where. I am leaning toward SCC but depends. My wife is worried about me diving in another country with out someone around that knows me. Might have to treat my brother or Mother or something. These being the only people I know that can travel whenever they want. LOL

Papa Bear
03-28-2008, 07:38 PM
Talk to the DM's you wont be alone! You will be one of thousands of divers on the reef on any given day! The DM will keep an eye on you if you ask or express the concerns you have! If your wife is not diving do Fiesta Americana! She will like it more! Great ocean front!

Conrad
03-28-2008, 08:25 PM
Unfortunately, My wife won't be making this trip. She has booked all her holidays. I get 5 weeks a year and she only gets three. her concern is that I'm down there, with out someone that knows me, in case I have an accident. You would have to know my wife. She is always looking out for the ones she loves. That's why I married her ( LOL) I was riding Rodeo when we met and I needed a great deal of nursing. Anyway I digress, Thanks to you all for the tips. I am leaning toward the Scuba Club Cozumel if I go alone and if I do not the Fiesta Americana looks good. Thanks again for the advice.

cajunscuba
03-28-2008, 08:37 PM
Ok, since you are going before me, write a trip report. Oh and you can take me if your wife can't go. LOL

lars2923
03-28-2008, 09:09 PM
Cajun,
You beat me to it..

acelockco
03-29-2008, 03:44 AM
Just don't think I need all inclusive, Unfortunately friend bailed so I am going alone:( . To bad so sad but I'm not letting that stop me. ...................

Any and all Suggestions would be appreciated:D

I would say go for the all inclusive if you can afford it. I never went the all inclusive route until my honeymoon and I would never do a non inclusive if an all inclusive was available. I don't drink any alcohol, the main reason many choose the all inclusive, but for me it is everything else that is included that does it for me.

Considering you are going alone, it would be nice to know you don't have to go out yourself, you can do just about everything on the property. Of course that may not jive with your personality.

acelockco
03-29-2008, 03:46 AM
I am heading down in June for 14 days..
I will be staying at Casa Del Mar with some friends...
$129/night All inclusive... Sweet!

WOW, now that is a deal. Even more reason to move to Florida, a shore airplane ride and I am at so many great scuba destinations. Plus Spirit has direct flights to most of those places as well, with their deals I am so there!

Ace

acelockco
03-29-2008, 03:57 AM
Unfortunately, My wife won't be making this trip. She has booked all her holidays. .....her concern is that I'm down there, with out someone that knows me, in case I have an accident. You would have to know my wife. She is always looking out for the ones she loves. That's why I married her ......

I understand where she is coming from, but you really don't have to worry about that. I would be sure to buy yourself a DAN membership and insurance plan if you don't already have it. Where you are going is not some remote out of the way place, it is a major resort. They also are VERY concerned with their tourism industry and would not want the bad publicity. Tourists have been diving there for years and there is no evidence of anything out of the ordinary there.

The other thing you can do that might make a huge difference to both of your comfort levels is to hire a dive guide. All dive shops that I know offer the services of a dive guide. Basically you are paying an insured dive master to be your buddy. That is someone that is a daily professional diver, a safe and trained diver, and someone that knows the dive sites and sea life better than you. Not only will you have your added safety, but your guide will find and show you things the rest of the group will miss.

Or you can take a dive class, any of the advanced classes will only have a few if any other students, and then all of your dives will be with your instructor.

I hope what I have said gets you diving rather than sitting by the pool. It would be a shame if you were there and missed the chance to see something you might never get a chance to see again.

The Publisher
03-29-2008, 04:22 AM
Great advice Ace!

Conrad
03-29-2008, 05:04 AM
You all have given some great advice. I thought about iberostar and dressel again, had no problems at all with them. Just thought about trying some one new. If you knew me you'd know I'm not much of a partier, 14 yrs of being on call 24x7 does that too you :). But It looks like I will be by my self this trip and a all inclusive might cause my wife less worry. I won't be booking for another week but you all have given some great advice ( one of the reasons I like this site ) Thanks again!:D

cajunscuba
04-01-2008, 09:10 PM
Did you book your trip yet? I hope you choose Scuba Club

shinek
04-02-2008, 07:48 PM
Just in case nothing's been booked yet, a buddy of mine has a nice little Condo about 10 - 15 minutes walk from downtown (Senior Frogs, Carlos & Charlies, the Square etc.). Comfortable rooms, TV, air con, kitchen, showers, all the usual stuff you would expect. They also have a pool area for lazing with a cool beer at the end of a long day's diving.
When we're down there we dive with Caribbean Divers, a great bunch, always have a DM in the water but let you do your own thing or follow them, your call. Its often worth staying fairly close as they can spot critters that most of us would just glide over.
Anyway, if you're interested, I can get the details and put you in touch with the right folks.
By the way, love Cozumel diving, did the Devil's Throat for the first time a couple of months ago, a great dive!

Conrad
04-05-2008, 05:42 AM
No , I decided on Iberostar , close to reefs and I am familiar with Dressel. Plus my wife would feel better if I was in a self contained resort. To many many Canaidians dying from falls of balcony's lately, has her worried for me.
Since she is familiar with Iberostar it calms her fears a little anyway. I will be booking when I get back from Alaska (this coming week) Now all I need is some gear LOL. Was looking at the Zeagle Ranger BCD, But am considering a Hakyon, ( like the basic design and the fact that all parts are replaceable )

lars2923
04-06-2008, 01:54 AM
No , I decided on Iberostar , close to reefs and I am familiar with Dressel. Plus my wife would feel better if I was in a self contained resort. To many many Canaidians dying from falls of balcony's lately, has her worried for me.
Since she is familiar with Iberostar it calms her fears a little anyway. I will be booking when I get back from Alaska (this coming week) Now all I need is some gear LOL. Was looking at the Zeagle Ranger BCD, But am considering a Hakyon, ( like the basic design and the fact that all parts are replaceable )

If your looking at the Ranger, nominal difference, go for the 911...

shinek
04-07-2008, 08:18 PM
I used a Zeagle for several years and was very happy with it, still use it when I'm travelling. I read somewhere that some people had issues over the "rip cord" to dump weights in an emergency, as far as could see they were mainly concerned about rethreading it. My view, on the very rare occasion that you might really need to dump your weights, how you'll rethread the cord is the least of your worries and no worse than the thought of having to replace weight pockets in other BCs.
Anyway, I never had any issues with the Zeagle and being "backless" (i.e. no bulky back plate) it was always very light and easy to pack for travelling. Not sure of the current model names, but I believe the principle is the same.

acelockco
04-07-2008, 09:21 PM
But am considering a Hakyon, ( like the basic design and the fact that all parts are replaceable )

I think you are talking about the Halcyon? If so, in my opinion that is the way to go. Not only are all the parts replaceable, but you can interchange parts depending on your diving. Some divers use the same backplate and harness and use different wings depending on where they are diving and their other equipment. It is also a standard setup that will work for all of your future diving no matter how far your training goes. Don't get me wrong the Zeagle is a nice unit, I just think you will get much more use out of the Halcyon (or similar) setup.

Conrad
04-09-2008, 07:44 PM
It's now confirmed I will be at the Iberostar May 10 -17, I have 10 dives booked. 4 referal open water dives, 5 advanced open water dives, 1 extra for photo ops, LOL. I will post photos and trip overview when I return. Thanks again for all the great advice. Not sure how photos will be. I am not much of a artist when it comes to photos. I have a 35mm in case w/flash. Just have to get my wife, who is a shutter bug to show me how to change film LOL . Anyway I will be posting trip reports.

PS, After discussing equipment choices with divers. One thing became clear, " It's a user preference" . So I went and bought all the gear I will need. I figured if that's what I am use to, That's what I will prefer. I went with the zeagle ranger BCD. This summer I will try the Halcyon in a pool to see how I like the back plate.

amtrosie
04-12-2008, 11:06 PM
PS, After discussing equipment choices with divers. One thing became clear, " It's a user preference" . So I went and bought all the gear I will need. I figured if that's what I am use to, That's what I will prefer. I went with the zeagle ranger BCD. This summer I will try the Halcyon in a pool to see how I like the back plate.

Your comment is the very reason why you DON'T go out and buy gear!!! You have the option to try different pieces of gear before you buy them, that way you buy it once and only once. ( if a shop won't let you do this, they are not worth your time!) You can rent gear for a week or two. That way you don't spend money on gear that you will regret!