PDA

View Full Version : How to choose a Tech Instructor/Course?

littleleemur
03-26-2008, 04:26 PM
How would one go about choosing an appropriate Tech Instructor? & what courses should we start with (to avoid duplication due to lack of funds)?

Everyone has a different diving style and although we may all be good divers, some people just don't get along underwater. Is there a "try me" dive? :p to avoid signing up for a bunch of courses only to realize by the 3rd dive that you really don't get along underwater? & would you want to take Tech courses from someone you don't know personally and are already comfortable in the water with?

Papa Bear
03-26-2008, 05:03 PM
What kind of tech? There are leaders in all fields and I would look at what kind and ask about the best! Tim O'leary is one of the best Deep tech guys from NAUI! Cave Bill Rennaker or John Orlowsky! So what kind and then who;)

amtrosie
03-27-2008, 02:05 AM
How would one go about choosing an appropriate Tech Instructor? & what courses should we start with (to avoid duplication due to lack of funds)?

I found the best preperation for a tech class was the GUE fundamentals class. The points taught and the emphasis on precision was key to the later tech classes. This class is the best class I have ever taken. I was challenged, stretched, and forced to really evaluate the diving that I did.

lars2923
03-27-2008, 02:49 PM
You may want to consider an option that if you or the Instructor
find your mental state for tech diving is not quite there, to terminate
the course with compensation to cover time and expenses.

rubber chicken
03-28-2008, 08:37 AM
I went for the TDI Advanced Nitrox and Deco Procedures combined course. I thoroughly enjoyed it and learnt lots but I did have a great deal of practice with my twinset in shallow water before the course.
In specific terms of the OP I would endorse PapaBears questions, What sort of "Tech" diving are you interested in ? and why do you want to go "Tech"?
It is these two variables that will really decide the best way forward (IMHO).

littleleemur
04-07-2008, 05:22 PM
I'm interested in getting to more pristine wrecks & find linework therapeutic :P (I am such a dork) I used to do quite a bit of splunking and at some point would like to explore underwater caves :o

Just trying to get some opinions that are not affected by equipment sales ratings, agency shop-status ratings and inter-shop politics that one experiences when walking into a LDS (unfortunately)

What I am trying to avoid is starting an investment on gear and classes to later find out that other gear & classes would have been more appropriate.

Papa Bear
04-07-2008, 05:38 PM
Cave Excursions in Northern Florida (Lauravill) is my recommendation! Honest, direct, and won't sell you useless equipment! But don't buy anything until trained! They will rent you everything!

acelockco
04-07-2008, 09:15 PM
I am not a caver (not yet at least), but I do know that Florida seems to be the cave diving center of the U.S. There are plenty of places to learn and practice down there, and I am sure that the instructors down there are the best at what they do.

I am sure that any instructor would let you sit in on a class to see if their teaching style fit your personality. The other option is to go and spend some time diving in the area with different shops, after a bit of diving you should be able to tell which places you feel the most comfortable with.

Good luck on your training.

lars2923
04-08-2008, 12:50 AM
You want the best? Hands down: http://www.cavediveflorida.com/
Jim Wyatt...

amtrosie
04-08-2008, 09:17 PM
I'm interested in getting to more pristine wrecks & find linework therapeutic :P (I am such a dork) I used to do quite a bit of splunking and at some point would like to explore underwater caves :o

Just trying to get some opinions that are not affected by equipment sales ratings, agency shop-status ratings and inter-shop politics that one experiences when walking into a LDS (unfortunately)

What I am trying to avoid is starting an investment on gear and classes to later find out that other gear & classes would have been more appropriate.

I stand by what I said earlier about the GUE route. The Fundies class is going to teach you about diving the most efficient way, without extra un-neccessary gear. It starts to place you in the best possible position to really benefit from the cave training to follow. If the GUE thing scares you, the NAUI tech program is pretty good, and will guide you into caves.

As always, the instructor is always the most important thing. For caves, get an instructor who lives in the area. They will be the best at teaching caves, because that is what they know best.

Good luck on the cave thing. I have been a caver for years and LOVE it!!!

texdiveguy
04-13-2008, 02:59 PM
You might give some consideration to an Intro to Technical Diving class,,,,usually several day of basic instruction and skill work. I know NAUI and TDI and now SSI all have them. Good way to start without a large investment in gear/time....might help to hone your diving skills and allow you to taste what you have to come. :)

BillGraham
04-14-2008, 05:10 PM
I'd suggest looking for an instructor who likes to do the kind of diving you are interested in learning. For fun. As in, when they are not teaching.

BigBlueTech
01-08-2009, 06:20 AM
I think when choosing a course you don't choose the card you get in the end but you choose the instructor.

It's never about GUE this or TDI that but the person you are intrusting to teach you a potentially dangerous activity that takes a lot more then simply what the book offers.

Look for experience but someone who is active in the community. I've met a lot of technical instructors who teach expired information or teach cave diving techniques to someone who's interested in wrecks.

What i tell everyone who asks me this, is do a discover technical dive.. small commitment, no investment and get a feel of how the person teaches and how the center works.. then if you aren't happy you got a cool dive with very little expense.

I've dove with a lot of people who have a lot of technical dives that should not be in technical gear both with bouyancy and simple skills. Most of them stood in defiance of my comments by saying "i'm an advanced mega trimix diver from blah and here's my card"

good luck :)