PDA

View Full Version : "Going-pro" = a good diver.

littleleemur
03-20-2008, 06:46 PM
In some circles, "going-pro" = being a good diver & those that are not are considered "bad" divers.

So, let's put that in perspective: it would be like saying that only English teachers have full command of the English language and everyone else does not! That train of thought also implies that if you didn't become an English teacher, or at the very least an English tutor, your English abilities are obviously sub par. That category would include lawyers, novelists and linguistic researchers.

hmmm....:rolleyes:

seasnake
03-20-2008, 06:54 PM
I don't know what you could compare a lawyer to in the scuba world .... somebody who has someone else do all the work for them, but gets all the glory and the money .... hmmmmm ... I know I few shop owners like that ... :p

Papa Bear
03-20-2008, 06:59 PM
Well a wise instructor once told me "If you want to take the fun out of Recreational Diving, make it a job"! He was so right! When that day comes when you feel like crap and you still have to "Go to work" it's a job! Add insurance and the risk of being hauled into court, one sometimes wonders why anyone does it?

And there is a Master SCUBA Diver card out there!:cool:

littleleemur
03-21-2008, 05:53 AM
Actually, I think bad diver = not going pro? would have been a more accurate description & heading....

Just had quite enough of the "but he's not a DM or anything" comments

Excuse me, "or anything?", this non DM in question is probably one of the most experienced divers I know & someone was commenting on his being "not-pro" :rolleyes: = he can't be "that" good! What has choosing to teach or not have to do with being a good diver or not?

As for the Master Scuba Diver thing - it's quite a joke isn't it? Does it help one pickup in bars? :confused: