PDA

View Full Version : Hello new here

oceanic
01-19-2007, 12:31 PM
Just a quick howzit to introduce myself. Spearfisher/Freediver here from Cape Town South Africa. Ive been snorkelling and diving ever since I can remember and started spearfishing more competitavely about a year or so ago. Im passionate about anything involving the ocean and when Im not there Im either out camping or at the office designing hotels offices restaurants and such. So yea thats basically me and hello to you all, lookin forward to participating in the forums learning and sharing experiences with everybody here :)

WarmWaterdiver
01-19-2007, 01:27 PM
welcome oceanic. what is competitive spearfishing? are there tournaments wherein participants compete for the biggest fish, certain types of fish or something similar?
How big of a fish do you spear? In the Gulf of Mexico, right off the Texas coast, some guys literally tie themselves to oil platforms and spearfish. But I do not think there are tournaments or competitive spear fishing. At least, if there is, I am not familiar with it.

Sarah
01-19-2007, 02:10 PM
Hi Oceanic,

Welcome!

WreckDiver
01-19-2007, 06:42 PM
Hello.!
Cool stuff.!:cool:

Dago.

oceanic
01-22-2007, 06:13 AM
Well warmwaterdiver what I meant is that Ive recently joined a underwater club and we have a monthly comp. In the comps it basically works like this. You shoot for different species, you get a point for each specie and points for the weight of each specie weighing in above a certain weight, no more than 4 points per fish and no more than 6 points for pelagics, which is mostly yellow tail, spearo with the highest amount of points wins. Our club is also planning on hosting a tuna open which mite be a international invite comp so Ill keep you all posted for those interested :)