PDA

View Full Version : Regulator advice needed

lottie
03-11-2008, 11:37 PM
Okay, so i'm thinking about getting a regulator (as in everything - the tubes, primary stage, reg and alternate) when I go over to the UK in May and need some advice about which ones are the better ones to get.

I don't want to order over the internet as shipping to St Lucia is a complete nightmare, is too expensive and I'd prefer to see what i'm actually getting.

Another point as well is that on a few occasions while i've been diving, the back of my throat has got dry, so i've had to cough and try and swallow - is there a type of reg that will not give me a dry throat?

For those of you that are in the UK - what's a reasonable price for a reg? and any suggestions of where to go (within London if possible)

TIA.

littleleemur
03-12-2008, 02:11 AM
Basic gear: Apeks is generally loved in the UK. Mares also has a good reputation, but that varies regionally depending on their quality of service and customer/product support. Old school die hards (& strutters) tend to buy anything Scubapro.

It usually depends on who you dive with and your style of diving. One shop can be anti-mares while another is anti-aqualung.

Get the best you can afford for your style & type of diving & make sure that it is comfortable in your mouth. A few I had borrowed/rented were too heavy and my jaw ached. So I was lucky to get to try before buying.

Have you thought of buying in the US? The prices are much cheaper, even minus VAT. & shorter distance to send for service.

Papa Bear
03-12-2008, 02:24 AM
Keep it simple! Get something that travels the world and you can get parts for it in PNG or similar places! If you get complicated and you travel it is not a good combination! If you are always going to dive with or near your LDS then you can go exotic and be safe! Keep it simple!

lottie
03-12-2008, 02:25 AM
littleleemur - thanks for the response.

I haven't thought of buying in the US as i'm going to be going to the UK and thought while i'm there, i'll see about getting a reg. Which i would prefer to see in real-life, rather than look on the internet. plus the shipping costs to here are astronomical and the custom charges that i'd have to pay

littleleemur
03-12-2008, 02:38 AM
Umm. Anyone here that is going to St. Lucia that can carry one over for Lottie? I would but I can't fly for a while :(

amtrosie
03-12-2008, 03:03 AM
A thought:

Have you considered which regulators that can be serviced there on the island? I have several suggestions for good durable performing regs., but it becomes moot if they can not serviced regularly.

......................food for thought...................

Papa Bear
03-12-2008, 03:24 AM
Hummm? Did I read that somewhere? Good advice! I would keep it simple as well!

hbh2oguard
03-12-2008, 05:49 AM
I've used cheap cheap school regs to my personal, pretty expensive regs and there isn't a huge difference. They all do their job, some just do it better. Personally I love my scuba pro MK25 and still haven't every quite got use to my maximus. The hose seems too short when it's under my arm. Get what you've used if your happy, and like what others said get what can be serviced since that's a factor for you. About the dry mouth, the maximus and other sherwood regs have a metal thing in the second stage that they claim helps. I've never noticed a difference but I don't normally have that problem.

lottie
03-12-2008, 04:21 PM
A thought:

Have you considered which regulators that can be serviced there on the island? I have several suggestions for good durable performing regs., but it becomes moot if they can not serviced regularly.

Regulators - being serviced over here??? Ha, you are joking....;)

I think if they did need servicing, it wouldn't be what you guys in the developed world would envisage of servicing, but maybe a friend of mine (who dives) might be able to service or check them out for me

hbh2oguard
03-13-2008, 02:35 AM
well you know they should be serviced every year. Personally I feel that's a little much so I ususally go by a number of dives along with a combination of time. My newer reg, I had for 2yrs and haven't serviced it, but it will be going in pretty soon.

lottie
03-13-2008, 02:53 AM
well you know they should be serviced every year.

Now there's the thing ... is it should or must?

And does that depend on whether the reg is stuffed in the back of a wardrobe 50 weeks of the year and used for the other 2 or is used for 50 weeks of the year and not for the other two? - discuss ;)

amtrosie
03-13-2008, 03:17 AM
Now there's the thing ... is it should or must?

And does that depend on whether the reg is stuffed in the back of a wardrobe 50 weeks of the year and used for the other 2 or is used for 50 weeks of the year and not for the other two? - discuss ;)

Do a search on this subject, we beat it to death about 6 months ago. I think! The last six months have been a whirlwind for me. :( :(

lottie
03-13-2008, 03:33 AM
I don't remember that discussion...maybe my short term memory is slowly going.

Update : it's okay, i found it and I remember now...i need to get my brain fixed :)

hbh2oguard
03-13-2008, 05:55 PM
Well it's a must to keep any warranty, and the should is a personal choice. Letting it sit could possible be worse. If your not using it every day but maybe 5-10 dives a month I personally feel service every 18-24 months or so is fine. I get my reg bench tested semi regularly so I feel fine extending the year time period. Plus last time I got my reg overhauled it took them three times to get it right. No it wasn't sport shalet or some other joke, but a good dive shop. Like amtrose said there was a long thread about this.

BillGraham
03-25-2008, 02:59 PM
I'm thinking you should check and see what regs your LDS carries and services.

The dry throat is caused by the very dry gas you are breathing from scuba tanks. Not much you can do about that except switch to a CCR, or (much cheaper) carry a small bottle of water with the pull out top.

My preference is for Poseidon Odins because they are unidirectional and work well for just about everything, but I understand that parts are becoming a problem due to a corporate re-org.

lottie
03-25-2008, 10:47 PM
My LDS use ScubaPro. I think I need to ask a couple of friends up there about servicing of regs before i fly out to the UK.

Thanks for all responses.

bottlefish
03-26-2008, 01:26 AM
Scubapro definitely get my vote, I've been using them since I started, I've had no issues with them at all , most of my regular buddies use them as well (I originally bought MK17/S500, upgraded to MK25/S600 when I needed extra sets). No idea of a reasonable price I'm afraid, I tend to get cheeky deals :)

Pop and see Kitty in Dive Solutions in Fulham, she'll help you out (www.dive-solutions.com). Alternatively, there's Mikes Waterfront Warehouse in Chiswick, can't give you a personal opinion, but I haven't heard anything bad said about them.

lottie
03-26-2008, 01:32 AM
Thanks for that Bottlefish - i'll make a note of those places and make sure i check them out

amtrosie
03-27-2008, 02:20 AM
My LDS use ScubaPro. I think I need to ask a couple of friends up there about servicing of regs before i fly out to the UK.

ScubaPro are definantely a good reg. The MK 25 are balanced piston
1rst stages. You will have a reg that will go any where and do any type of diving that you will ever get into. Go for it!!!

The Publisher
03-27-2008, 03:39 AM
Some manufacturers suggest every two years.....I know the figure in any case is completely arbitrary....My open circuit Oceanic Omega reg would get rebuilt about every 3-4 years.

acelockco
03-27-2008, 05:50 PM
Lottie,

I think the best point brought up here is the regular servicing of the regulator and where you can have it serviced. It may not be economical for you to have your own regulator if you can not have it serviced. This is important not only to warranty issues, but to your life and safety issues as well.

As you said yourself, check around the island and find out where the regulators are being serviced, someone surely is doing it. Then find out what brands they service and have ease of getting parts.

Now another thing to take into consideration is the service interval. The standard is every year, BUT some manufacturers have models that need service every other year. In your situation that may be a HUGE difference.

As far as the dry mouth issue, there are a few things you can do about this. As you already know the reason this happens is because the air is filtered as it is compressed, this makes the air clean and dry. This is very good because it keeps us from breathing concentrated amounts of impurities, and it also keep our cylinders and regulators dry and contaminant free. The one thing you can do to help is to drink plenty of water before you dive. Stay away from the coffee, tea and sodas. It really will make a difference.

Now when purchasing a new regulator, some 2nd stages breathe more moist than others. If you look at new 2nd stages at the dive shop, you will notice many regulators made of plastic, and some made of metal. Metal regulators generally will breathe more moist than plastic ones. The manufacturers know this, so some models have metal fins built in directly behind the mouth piece. These metal fins collect the moisture from your outgoing breath, and add the moisture to the dry incoming breath. This really makes a huge difference.

I have seen devices made to allow one to drink through their regulator, but I would not waste the money or time with that.

amtrosie
03-30-2008, 05:08 PM
Lottie,

As far as the dry mouth issue, there are a few things you can do about this. As you already know the reason this happens is because the air is filtered as it is compressed, this makes the air clean and dry. This is very good because it keeps us from breathing concentrated amounts of impurities, and it also keep our cylinders and regulators dry and contaminant free. The one thing you can do to help is to drink plenty of water before you dive. Stay away from the coffee, tea and sodas. It really will make a difference.

Now when purchasing a new regulator, some 2nd stages breathe more moist than others. If you look at new 2nd stages at the dive shop, you will notice many regulators made of plastic, and some made of metal. Metal regulators generally will breathe more moist than plastic ones. The manufacturers know this, so some models have metal fins built in directly behind the mouth piece. These metal fins collect the moisture from your outgoing breath, and add the moisture to the dry incoming breath. This really makes a huge difference.

I have seen devices made to allow one to drink through their regulator, but I would not waste the money or time with that.

Ditto what Ace said about hydration prior to diving! There are a myriad reasons to be properly hydrated while diving. As for this application, drinking loads of water (not caffinated drinks or alcohol) is the key. Believe it or not, a good nights sleep prior to diving is helpful as well.

As for the reg., go with the one that can be serviced ther on the island.

lars2923
03-31-2008, 12:54 AM
You can always try the old tried and true, the hoseless regulator.
No moisture problem and nominal servicing...

BillGraham
04-17-2008, 12:05 AM
One thing I love about cave diving is that a lot of the springs we dive in Florida have fantastic drinking water so you just pull your reg/mouthpiece out, take a drink, and stick it back in. :D

acelockco
04-17-2008, 01:13 AM
And then stop at the Dr. to get some medicine before you spend the next few days in the bathroom.

amtrosie
04-22-2008, 04:08 PM
And then stop at the Dr. to get some medicine before you spend the next few days in the bathroom.

Not even a little bit!!! This is the direct drinking water supply. I used to drink the water all the time when hanging on deco. and never had a problem! This is not wreck diving off of Jersey or diving in Mexico.

acelockco
04-22-2008, 05:22 PM
If you drink the water off of New Jersey, just be sure to remove the medical waste from it first.

OMG, I can't even imagine how sick you would get from NJ water :eek:

I guess it has me so scared, I won't drink anything that I can swim in.

lottie
04-22-2008, 05:29 PM
I guess it has me so scared, I won't drink anything that I can swim in.

Moreso if you just pee'd in your wetsuit...eeewwww :eek:

acelockco
04-22-2008, 07:55 PM
Moreso if you just pee'd in your wetsuit...eeewwww :eek:

Yea' what about that? How many divers have added their own little splash to the water, forget about it! Don't Drink The Water!

amtrosie
04-23-2008, 05:21 PM
Yea' what about that? How many divers have added their own little splash to the water, forget about it! Don't Drink The Water!

Oh for pete's sake!!!! This is crystal clear, fresh water that flows to the rivers in all of Florida. This water is flowing at a good clip, so.............. drink away :p :p

acelockco
04-24-2008, 01:39 AM
I will gladly dive there, and would be happy to share a dive or two with you, BUT I won't share a drink with you my friend. ;)

lars2923
04-24-2008, 04:13 AM
He's right...
Drink the water.

Water is good, cool, around 72 F . Drink carefully.. wet a whistle..
There is so much flow coming out of the cave/cavern that a little
wewe shouldn't be a concern.

Bottle companies are offering big $$ for property.. to pull
fresh water out . Selling water is big business...

acelockco
04-24-2008, 03:16 PM
I know it is a big business, BUT they do treat or filter the water before they bottle it.

Do what you will, but none for me, thanks.

amtrosie
04-26-2008, 12:57 AM
I will gladly dive there, and would be happy to share a dive or two with you, BUT I won't share a drink with you my friend. ;)

Come on Ace!!!!! Live a little :p It will do you good and put hair on your chest :D :D You don't know what you are missing. :rolleyes: What I would not do to be back there to taste that wonderfully sweet H2O!!!, instead of %#%@! rainy Washington.

acelockco
04-26-2008, 02:31 AM
*** are you doing in Washington?

amtrosie
04-26-2008, 04:48 PM
*** are you doing in Washington?

Not drinking the water, that is for sure! :mad: :mad:

Papa Bear
05-02-2008, 08:10 PM
Breath in and out!

amtrosie
05-02-2008, 08:39 PM
Breath in and out

Can't stop hyperventlating! :eek: the @#$#@ cold! How's that?

acelockco
05-03-2008, 02:19 PM
Can't stop hyperventlating! :eek: the @#$#@ cold! How's that?

Welcome to the North. Now you have an idea of what I deal with all of the time. Maybe I should take your old place in Florida.