PDA

View Full Version : Surging Poseidon Reg Popularity?

Sarah
01-18-2007, 05:42 AM
I was wondering if anyone has tried the Poseidon Xtreme regulators series.

I've noticed in SoCal that I am seeing more and more Xtremes used by both tech divers and divers that seemed to be into higher performance equipment.

They seem to have 4 models, Deep, Deep 900 approved for trimix down to 200 meters, the Duration model for Nitrox to 50% & the Deco for 100% 02

Has anyone who has used an Xtreme care to comment?

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p53/iDiveChick/Xtreme.gifhttp://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p53/iDiveChick/Xtremeduration.gifhttp://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p53/iDiveChick/XtremeDeco.gifhttp://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p53/iDiveChick/xtreme2.jpghttp://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p53/iDiveChick/xtremefs.jpg

Zero
01-18-2007, 06:40 AM
Having never used any Poseidon gear i cant comment on their performance but when you look around at how many are out there and the age of them it must mean they are put together well. These ones just look like a refined design of the old ones. From all the talk its either all love or all hate with them no middle of the road oks.

Matt

Scott
01-19-2007, 10:46 AM
Actually.. they have the Deep and Deep 90 in black trim, which use normal Orings... Duration and Duration 90 in green trim, which have viton Orings, and Deco in white trim, which is viton Orings.. They used to have a Dive, which was a dark grey trim.. but it became the Deep.. They ALSO have an octo.. which has yellow trim..

The '90' varients have the Din fitting coming out of the side of the cylinder shaped assembly, the other type is inline... (the black and green trimmed pair in the picture are both 90 varients.. the Deco only comes in the straight varient.... the straight varients of the Deep and Duration look like the Deco model, with Black and Green trim respectively.

I have a pair of Deco's that I use for my side mount rig... I use the M&J Manufactuering swivels on them so that I can use standard hoses..

The Straight first stages worked out better for my planned hose routing then the 90's.. and I got the same price on the Deco as I could get on the Duration or Deep.. so I figured heck.. I'll get the one that's been oxygen cleaned =)

I also plan on ordering a set of yellow exhaust covers..... since my OC gear is being moved to bailout duty for the most part =)

-Scott

divertodd1
02-06-2007, 08:44 PM
I don't know about their current models. I dove a Cyklon 300 back in the 70's that was great! Easy to breathe at depth and had a little "wiskey" cup that kept it from freezing up in under the ice...and was great for after the dive as well :)

seafox
02-06-2007, 10:55 PM
They are great regs!
When I dive OC I use two Xtreme regs on my tech configuration.
They are small, light and breathe marvelously, even at depth exceeding 300', and are very reliable.
The possible downside is that they are expensive to buy and to service.
But IMHO small price to pay for excellence!

Cornel

seasnake
02-07-2007, 04:43 PM
They are a little more difficult to service. When you open them up there are more parts than an atomic bomb.

seafox
02-07-2007, 06:09 PM
True, but that ballbearing is awesome! :)

Cornel

seasnake
02-08-2007, 01:32 PM
I was on a team that used Extremes last summer. The depths were max only 30' (10m), but it was scientific diving mostly on sandy bottom, five dives a day. Lots of digging and low viz/heavy surge stuff. All the gear would be filled with sand at the end of diving (not to mention everywhere in and on our persons :)) but the regs never missed a beat.

deep flight
02-12-2007, 03:53 AM
the main difference is in the first stage. i've been using the jetstream for years and the servo valve in the xtreme and the jetstream are identical. i also use a cyklon metal. tried the xtreme once. . .

it's the low profile of the xtreme seconds that makes the difference (and of course the first stage ball bearings in the first?)

cyklons, jetstreams, xtremes . . .they're all on the hi end. that's what makes poseidons different. they don't have entry level or mid level regs. and you're right, they're more expensive to maintain than your regular regs.

one thing anti poseidon people don't want is the gale force air that it delivers (specially the xtreme and the jetstream). some diver dont like it. me? gimme the jetstream anytime . . .

deep flight
02-12-2007, 03:55 AM
personally, i don't like how the purge valve on the xtreme is positioned.

Bob3
02-23-2007, 09:51 PM
... there are more parts than an atomic bomb.
As a former nuke weapons tech, I can assure you that [with the smaller warheads especially] there are very few parts in the critters. You could train an average gradeschooler to work on the things. :D
On the other hand, the Cyklon's second stage rebuild kits consists of 4 pieces, one of them a zip tie.;)
Once the cost is averaged out over the 2 years between "full" servicing, the expense is right down there with the average regs.
My good old Cyklon 300s are still kicking strong, not a bad trick for a +35 year old reg.

littleleemur
12-11-2007, 09:35 PM
One of the main selling points for the Poseidon Xstream is the small space inside the 2nd stage which supposedly reduces the levels of residual carbon dioxide. Does that mean that this reg (or others with small 2nd stage spaces) ought to be the regs of choice for people with low SAC?

The Publisher
12-12-2007, 12:07 AM
I would think that having in the front of your mouth a dimunitive but expensive, ultra-high performance cool regulator like the Poseidon is less of a necessity and more of an opportunity to Pimp your Grill.

acelockco
12-12-2007, 01:16 AM
I don't think there is a sudden increase of Poseidon regulators, you are just noticing their new design. The Poseidon Odin had been the regulator of choice for most of the Wreck Divers up my way for many years. They seem to be indestructable, work great really deep, and work great in the cold.

littleleemur
12-12-2007, 07:19 AM
Was listening to a pitch re: these regs that they would reduce the CNS Ox-tox probability when using Nitrox gases by having a smaller space in the 2nd stage. I didn't compute, since each full breath would be a "rinse" anyways. Please dumb this down for me.

BTW do these work as well as the advertised all metal regs in the cold? I know the ball bearing is metal, but does the 2nd stage cover matter? The Aqualung Glacia & the Mares Proton Ice are bloody heavy & because smaller and lighter is better IMHO.

acelockco
12-12-2007, 05:25 PM
All current Poseidon for sale in the USA are designed for cold water use.