PDA

View Full Version : 5 mm wetsuit suggestions/opinions

kjohnson75
03-01-2008, 05:16 PM
I am looking to purchase a 5 mm wetsuit, but am seriously limited in my choices because where I live people buy drysuits for local diving or 3 mm for the tropics. Hardly any shops carry 5 mm suits! There is a shop that carries the Bare Elastek. Just wondering if anybody has any experience with this suit. Or any other suggestions of 5 mm suits that they recommend that I could keep my eye out for.

Thanks!
Kat

BamaCaveDiver
03-01-2008, 05:27 PM
Not familiar with that model (I dive mostly dry, reserving wetsuit wear for caving and sumps so I tend to look for used wetsuits), but Bare does make a great wetsuit. I would think any of the shops that carry a line in 3mm could order you a 5mm if you asked (in case you have a particular suit in mind that you would prefer.) If they will not do that for you (or they want to drive the price up too far) try on a 3mm from your preferred brand to see how their sizing runs and then order the 5mm yourself.

kjohnson75
03-01-2008, 05:41 PM
Bama - I believe the Bare Elastek is a pretty new suit. But it's good to hear an endorsement of Bare wetsuits in general.

The shops will order a 5mm for me, but since it's a special order, there is a no return policy. I don't like that aspect. I'd prefer to choose from the limited 5mm choices I have. I'm sometimes a bit of a challenge to fit and I see Bare has 12 or 13 different women's sizes so I should be able to find one that fits me well.

The Publisher
03-01-2008, 06:16 PM
Kat, I have a Pinnacle Elastiprene 5mm merino lined suit for cooler tropics that is REALLY a well made suit that I am quite pleased with.

http://www.pinnacleaquatics.com/showimage.aspx?dir=prod&size=500&img=WS29-1.jpg

kjohnson75
03-01-2008, 06:40 PM
Publisher - I will definitely keep my eyes peeled for the Pinnacle suit. It's got a lot of good reviews.

hbh2oguard
03-01-2008, 10:57 PM
Personally I'm a fan of body glove. They will stand behind their products for LIFE. Never had a problem with them honoring their word and I've had numerous suits from them. If there is a problem they will repair it for free, they even replaced one of my suits that was well used and 3-4yrs old with no questions asked. My only problem with them is that they don't making anything over 7mm.

BamaCaveDiver
03-01-2008, 11:08 PM
I have pounded the dickens out of BG suits, surfing and caving, and the only thing I have ever managed to damage was the overall appearance. Those things are tough. Why would you want something thicker than 7mm? Water that cold deserves a drysuit (I'm a wimp when it comes to cold water.)

The thing I like best about Bare, besides they hold up to a lot of abuse, is their wide range of sizes. I lucked out a couple of years back and found a new 7mm farmer John (fits like a glove) for $100 (guy was going around buying out closed dives shops and selling the inventory off on line.) That suit has seen a lot of cave mud and rocks and it is still going strong (and it still looks fairly good after a strong pressure washing.)

hbh2oguard
03-02-2008, 12:07 AM
Why would you want something thicker than 7mm? Water that cold deserves a drysuit (I'm a wimp when it comes to cold water.)

Northern/central CA diving in 48-52 deg water. I'm fine with a hooded vest and a 7mm as long as I'm moving a little. I'm going to take a scientific diving course and won't be able to move much. Pretty much any of the scientific guys that do it once outside of the class wear 10mm custom suits. Drysuits aren't really used because they are pretty easy to damage compared to a wetsuit.

BamaCaveDiver
03-02-2008, 12:31 AM
That's why I go with the neoprene for sumps and caving, drysuits are just too expensive to put through that much abuse (and that is why I don't mind finding used wetsuits for that purpose.) With the amount of lead it takes to sink me in a 7mm, I would hate to even try a 10mm. The only time I am really comfortable with 48-52 degree water is when it's in a drinking glass, but that is typically what we see in sumps and the caves up this way. I am okay in the 2 piece 7mm, but like you mentioned I stay moving the entire time and you have never seen an old cripple doff a wet wetsuit as fast as I do when I exit.

hbh2oguard
03-02-2008, 12:45 AM
very funny:) I thought about one of the semi dry wetsuits(crushed neoprene, I think:confused: ) but have heard that they don't work too well. 10mm do take a lot of weight. I normally dive with 20lbs and a guy whose a lot smaller than me uses 32lbs. I'm hoping a xcel 9mm http://www.xcelwetsuits.com/dive/index.php?area=products
will do the trick because it's a lot cheaper than a custom 10mm.

BamaCaveDiver
03-02-2008, 03:44 AM
I thought about semi-dry after I posted that; I know some who have used them that like them and some that hate them. Those I know who have gone the merino lined route love them, touting how warm they are compared to just neoprene, but they hate the stench after they have sweated in them a few times. Xcel makes an excellent wetsuit; have a couple of friends that use them exclusively for cave diving and swear they have yet to get cold. For their longer dives they just place heat packs inside and stay toasty throughout.

hbh2oguard
03-02-2008, 04:00 AM
I've never thought about heat packs. Do they just use instant heat packs or something else? Also good to hear that about xcel's. I think I'll have to give them a shot.

kjohnson75
03-02-2008, 06:30 PM
Thanks for all the input guys. I've got a few ideas to work with now. Thankfully I don't have to go beyond a 5mm. :)

BamaCaveDiver
03-03-2008, 03:09 AM
I've never thought about heat packs. Do they just use instant heat packs or something else? Also good to hear that about xcel's. I think I'll have to give them a shot.

Not sure what the brand was, but they were of the larger variety (large enough that one would cover your lumbar area) and reusable-I think they just put them into boiling water or something like that to recharge. I will see if I can dig up the info they passed along about them a few years back. The only problem either of them ever reported with using the heat packs was placement to prevent skin burns (seems like they were wrapping them in something to avoid direct contact.) They were doing some 3+ hour dives in 68-72F water wearing 3mil suits, and were warmer than some folks, doing less in dry suits, when they surfaced.

hbh2oguard
03-03-2008, 02:25 PM
That would be great to know if you could find any info. I'm suprised they would last that long.

littleleemur
03-03-2008, 03:55 PM
The heat packs are the gel ones where you flex a metal disc that is floating around inside when you use it the first time. It hardens and becomes opaque after the first use and you'll have to boil it until all of it is clear to re-use it. 2 types are generally available, with & without the metal disk. Those without can be reheated v. carefully in the microwave.

http://www.roshgo.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?page=rc01/CTGY/00602

Some sort of fanny pack/vest with strategically placed pockets is usually used to prevent burns as you can't adjust underwater.

As for the instant ones, the problem is how the chemicals react with each other under pressure.

littleleemur
03-03-2008, 04:07 PM
Bare offers good product support in Canada and I love their range of sizes. However, sometimes their stitching can come loose & if you have a good LDS they will just send it in for you & Bare will repair it at no additional charge :)

However, I personally prefer my Henderson Gold 7mm over the Bare 5mm. The Henderson Gold 7mm is much more flexible and comfortable than any other 5mm I've tried (& I've tried a lot of them). If you do decide to go the Henderson route, order their "Core Warmer" package. You get 2 pieces for the price of 1 which helps offset the cost.

littleleemur
03-03-2008, 04:51 PM
As I seem to be unable to edit my post above, here's another heatpack that seems to be the similar to the Japanese one above:

http://www.drugstore.com/products/prod.asp?pid=139637&catid=44690

BamaCaveDiver
03-03-2008, 08:10 PM
The heat packs are the gel ones where you flex a metal disc that is floating around inside when you use it the first time. It hardens and becomes opaque after the first use and you'll have to boil it until all of it is clear to re-use it. 2 types are generally available, with & without the metal disk. Those without can be reheated v. carefully in the microwave.

http://www.roshgo.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?page=rc01/CTGY/00602

Some sort of fanny pack/vest with strategically placed pockets is usually used to prevent burns as you can't adjust underwater.

As for the instant ones, the problem is how the chemicals react with each other under pressure.

That be the critters, although the ones I saw close up appeared to be encased in some sort of vinyl covering. I cannot seem to recall if they were wearing light garments under their suits or what, I just know they were avoiding direct contact with their skin by having a barrier in place with the heat packs riding comfortable between the barrier and the inside of the suit. These guys do tend to get cold on ling dives, so to hear them report staying warm through deco (motionless, the ideal time for cold to set in) said a lot about the products they were using. I'll get in touch with them to see if they still have a copy of what they posted a few years back as well as any possible updates (I do know that both Gary and Moonfuzzy still dive wet.)

BamaCaveDiver
03-03-2008, 09:57 PM
Found the packs that they use: http://www.9thtee.com/reheater.htm pretty much the same thing as was shown before. I also found their anti-burn secret-they wore 2-piece suits (I could have sworn I had seen them in a one-piece the day we discussed these at the spring, but you know what they say about age and memory) placing the packs between the farmer john and the outer jacket. Moonfuzzy did say that she got chilled doing long scooter dives (not much swimming to generate heat) but was good when swimming and then during deco (after swim dives.)

hbh2oguard
03-04-2008, 12:56 AM
Thanks for the links! They seem pretty reasonably priced too:) I think the edit link was removed when the site was having problems a few days back, but that's just a guess couldn't tell you for sure.

tarzana
11-24-2009, 04:15 AM
Does a 2 pc 5mm stretchy wetsuit exist? I have had two now that I have had great diffculty getting n and out of.

The Publisher
11-24-2009, 05:32 AM
I have never heard of that, but I did just test dive a 1 piece 3mm drysuit by Poseidon called a Flexisuit and it rocked! It had relatively stretchy neoprene and wrist and neck seals with attached dry soles.

You can read our report here (http://www.scubamagazine.net/showthread.php?p=17584#post17584)

Charon
02-21-2011, 01:40 PM
I'd like to jump in and get some advice. I've got a Henderson polyofin fullsuit that is supposed to have the warmth of a 2mm without any bouyancy. I'd like to get a 5mm to wear over it for diving upstate new york. I picked out 5 possibles. They are:

Pinnacle Cruiser 5 5mm $110
Pinnacle Elastiprene 5 5MM $175
Neo Sport X-Span 5mm $190
Henderson Hyperstretch 5mil $235
Pinnacle Merino-Elastiprene 5mm $265

I'd like to spend as little as necessary but enough to get a suit that will fit well (stretch and fit tight) and be easy to get on. I'm 5'10" and 205 - fit isn't a problem.

acelockco
02-22-2011, 12:50 AM
I'd like to jump in and get some advice. I've got a Henderson polyofin fullsuit that is supposed to have the warmth of a 2mm without any bouyancy. I'd like to get a 5mm to wear over it for diving upstate new york. I picked out 5 possibles. They are:

Pinnacle Cruiser 5 5mm $110
Pinnacle Elastiprene 5 5MM $175
Neo Sport X-Span 5mm $190
Henderson Hyperstretch 5mil $235
Pinnacle Merino-Elastiprene 5mm $265

I'd like to spend as little as necessary but enough to get a suit that will fit well (stretch and fit tight) and be easy to get on. I'm 5'10" and 205 - fit isn't a problem.

I personally think you will be way too cold with that combo to really enjoy your diving. I dive in New Jersey and have gone with a farmer john style wetsuit 7 mm, giving me 14mm along most of my body and I was almost always cold....cold to the point where I would end the dive a bit early.

I now dive a drysuit and am much more comfortable and suggest the same. I understand the cost is huge compared to a wetsuit, but I am just giving you my honest opinion. If you absolutely can't figure a way to get into a drysuit, I would go for the thickest warmest wetsuit you can find. The strechy ones are nice, but they tend not to be as warm as the regular style. There are also semi-dry suits out here which are wetsuits with sealed seams and zippers. They are warmer the seals block the flow of water.

Charon
02-22-2011, 02:03 PM
I personally think you will be way too cold with that combo to really enjoy your diving. I dive in New Jersey and have gone with a farmer john style wetsuit 7 mm, giving me 14mm along most of my body and I was almost always cold....cold to the point where I would end the dive a bit early.

I dove a 7 mm Tilos fullsuit into the soft ice below the thermocline in Lake George in late spring and wasn't the least bit cold but hated the amount of weight I had to carry. If I had to go to 14 mm I would quit diving. Simply too much weight to carry. I'm not real big on going real deep so I'm sure I'll be fine with what I'm planning. Unless I'm going well below the thermocline I only wear a 3 mm shorty.

The Publisher
02-23-2011, 05:47 PM
When I was a kid I had a custom made 7mm farmer john with separate jacket hood attached no zippers, and in 60 degree water still froze my tail off.

We are all so different! :)

acelockco
02-24-2011, 06:30 AM
I dove a 7 mm Tilos fullsuit into the soft ice below the thermocline in Lake George in late spring and wasn't the least bit cold but hated the amount of weight I had to carry. If I had to go to 14 mm I would quit diving. Simply too much weight to carry. I'm not real big on going real deep so I'm sure I'll be fine with what I'm planning. Unless I'm going well below the thermocline I only wear a 3 mm shorty.

If weight is your concern, then a tri-laminate drysuit is surely the answer.

I wish you the best of luck in whatever you try.

Charon
02-25-2011, 02:26 PM
Anyone have opinions who have used these 5 specific suits?

The Publisher
02-25-2011, 03:35 PM
Ok, I have done a tad of editing of a few posts to ensure we're all having a group hug, lol. ;)

I have the 3mm Henderson hyperstretch and the 3 and 5mm Pinnacle merino elastiprene or whatever they call it, lol.

All of these have worked great for me, they are all comfortable. The Pinnacles have leg zippers which I would be happy to do without although they don't cause any problems.

After several years of use, the stitching on the Pinnacles has started to unravel at the ends. Just tack it down with a drop of Aquaseal.

The fabric on the arms of the Pinnacle seems to hold up a bit better to surface abrasion.

I don't think you can really go wrong with either suit.

I don't know about the Hendersons, but the Pinnacles are available in quite a range of sizes, where they have stock ones and "short" ones.

Now last year I did try a new Poseidon 5mm "Flexisuit" drysuit. This is unique in that it is relatively thin for a drysuit, but the suit worked really well and was really comfortable.

You can read that full report here (http://www.scubamagazine.net/showthread.php?p=17584)

I am amazed you dove a 7mm wetsuit in icy conditions and were fine. I am getting cold just thinking about it in my office behind the desk! I can't see how a 5mm would work in those conditions, but maybe you were a polar bear in a past life, lol ;)

I keep wondering if the 5mm Poseidon Flexisuit drysuit would be the ticket for you. It is not inexpensive compared to a regular stretchy 5mm from Henderson or Pinnacle.

Charon
02-27-2011, 12:31 PM
I am amazed you dove a 7mm wetsuit in icy conditions and were fine. I am getting cold just thinking about it in my office behind the desk! I can't see how a 5mm would work in those conditions, but maybe you were a polar bear in a past life, lol ;)

To be accurate, I didn't dive under or in ice. In my locale we refer to the hard cold in spring fed lakes under the thermocline as soft ice. It is a real shock to go from 50's water to 39 or so. The 7 mm was fine for me in those conditions.

I wouldn't be diving a 5 mm. Under the 5 mm would be the 2 mm polyofin, so 7 mm warmth with 5 mm bouyancy. And what I actually did was to get the Pinnacle 3 mm. I'll see how I do with that in the conditions that I dive up here. If I need more, I'll get another Henderson polyofin and keep to 3 mm bouyancy. I hate lead. The damn tank is heavy enough for a guy my age.

The Publisher
02-27-2011, 05:05 PM
The term soft ice did confuse me a bit, but then again, that is not hard to do...thanks for the clarification. Of course, at 39 degrees, I would still freeze my tail off in a 7mm with anything under it.

acelockco
02-28-2011, 07:11 PM
I am freezing just thinking about it.

I MISS FLORIDA!