PDA

View Full Version : where would you go feb 2009?

fishome25
02-28-2008, 11:55 PM
okay winter is almost over time to plan next winters trip. where should i go this time. I've been to Bahamas, Bonaire, Australia, and Philippines. I would go back to the Philippines b/c of the great diving and good value. but I'd like to try something new. how is wakatobi that time of the year?

lottie
02-29-2008, 12:18 PM
I'm being biased and would say the caribbean..

yeah, i know you've already said that you've done the Bahamas and Bonaire, but there are other islands in the caribbean that have great diving as well - and don't start with the letter B ;).

What about a trip around Saba and Statia (Eustatius), Aruba or Curacao, Dominica or Guadeloupe. What about the Grenadines (loads of islands, loads of wrecks!!) and...dare I say it....St Lucia ;););););)

BamaCaveDiver
02-29-2008, 01:45 PM
Have you considered Grenada? Late in the year it is gorgeous hanging from a canopy in the sky (even at night); I have always wanted to go back to see what it looks like from an aquatic view point.

Bill22
03-01-2008, 05:00 AM
As you said Philippines is a great value :) I hope to be making my third trip there later this year. You said somewhere different though :)

I think Thailand would be a great choice too. I made a trip there in November 2006 for Loi Krathong. I went to Chiang Mai in northern Thailand where I attended Thai Massage school for two weeks. Also did the usual sightseeing, temples, elephant rides in the jungle, muay thai bouts... A very cool place to take a vacation :) No diving on that trip, but I still had a great time. I'll dive the next time I go. Here are a few links to get you started:

http://www.diveadventuresasia.com/index.htm
http://www.seadragondivecenter.com/index.htm http://www.scubacat.com/en/general_information/ http://www.southsiamdivers.com/
http://www.sea-bees.com/eng/index.htm http://www.divecentrepattaya.com/

h2odragon1
03-01-2008, 04:23 PM
Return to the Philippines.
If you've been to one of the following, go to one of the others.
Puerto Galera; Anilao; Malapascua; Moalboal; Mactan; Cabilao; Panglao; Dumagete; Palawan; Culasi; Subic.
Diving in the Philippines is varied and you can always find something new. I was just in the Philippines, and picked up a magazine with and article written by Scotty Tuason, he has been diving in Anilao since 1977 and was recently introduced to a 'new' area in Anilao, he was surprised when he dove this area for the first time. You too can find somewhere 'new' to dive.
Go to the Philippines.:)

Bill22
03-02-2008, 10:42 AM
Return to the Philippines.
If you've been to one of the following, go to one of the others.
Puerto Galera; Anilao; Malapascua; Moalboal; Mactan; Cabilao; Panglao; Dumagete; Palawan; Culasi; Subic.
Diving in the Philippines is varied and you can always find something new. I was just in the Philippines, and picked up a magazine with and article written by Scotty Tuason, he has been diving in Anilao since 1977 and was recently introduced to a 'new' area in Anilao, he was surprised when he dove this area for the first time. You too can find somewhere 'new' to dive.
Go to the Philippines.:)

This is what I would personally do. Not to many places that you will get better value for your money. I only mentioned Thailand because they wanted to go someplace different.

Even though I haven't been diving in Thailand yet, I'll most likely be going to the Philippines again before I go to Thailand. I'll need at least three more trips to have seen most of the major diving spots there. I'm talking 2-3 weeks each time. I'm thinking about doing 4 weeks there next year. Thats in addition to the 3 1/2 weeks I've already done and the 2-3 weeks I'll do later this year.

Most people could spend all their yearly vacation time there over a period of years and still not see it all. I doubt I'll really have the chance to thoroughly explore the Philippines unless I move there :)

The problem with the Philippines I always say is that there are just to MANY great places to dive! :)

bottlefish
03-02-2008, 03:20 PM
Andaman Islands off Thailand are well worth a visit in Feb, as are the Maldives.

Also, the east coast of South Africa, Aliwal Shoals and Proteus Banks, combined with a trip up to Momzambique?

I was out in Sudan Red Sea this Feb, some of the best diving I've done - very healthy coral with loads of reef fish, and plenty of shark encounters as well (schooling hammerheads, balck tip, greys, reef sharks and potential for oceanics and tigers). The water's a bit cooler, around 24 degrees, but still worth it (there's a brief trip report and link to photos here Sudan Trip Report and Photos - ScubaMagazine.net Forum (http://www.scubamagazine.net/showthread.php?t=1587))

Quero
03-03-2008, 10:43 AM
If you are looking for a new destination where there is great diving and good value, come to Thailand. Every single February and March I try to get to the Similans/Surins in Thailand's Andaman Sea. This is the time of year that the big animals make their appearance. The water is flat, the skies are clear, and Thailand is a waking dream.

Q.

PS You are aware that Wakatobi is far from inexpensive, right? Having said that, it's fantastic diving nonetheless!

fishome25
03-06-2008, 08:10 PM
thanks for the replies. I think I will prob end up back in the Philippines or maybe Thailand. If I did atlantic it would be Bonaire or Belize, but the the atlantic reefs kind of bore me :)

Papa Bear
03-07-2008, 05:11 AM
Have you considered Grenada? Late in the year it is gorgeous hanging from a canopy in the sky (even at night); I have always wanted to go back to see what it looks like from an aquatic view point.

Hell of a way to get a vacation! LOL I bet it would be a different point of view and not as many Cubans around, unless you count the cigars!;) :rolleyes:

BamaCaveDiver
03-07-2008, 05:17 PM
Hell of a way to get a vacation! LOL I bet it would be a different point of view and not as many Cubans around, unless you count the cigars!;) :rolleyes:

You just have to love those government sponsored tours to tropical destinations; free transportation (round trip for those that qualify), unlimited meals (all the bugs you can stand to eat), the finest accommodations that mud can offer. I did my best to rid the island of as many "Cubans" as possible:p

Seriously though, I have always wanted to go back and have read a number of articles detailing the dive opportunities down there, so I want to see it again. I am perfectly willing to keep my eyes peeled for more Cubans when I make it back down there;)

Quero
03-09-2008, 04:27 AM
I think I will prob end up back in the Philippines or maybe Thailand. :)

If you end up coming this way, give me a shout!

fishome25
03-13-2008, 12:26 AM
what about malaysia

Quero
03-13-2008, 09:14 AM
what about malaysia
Malyasia is nice, but February is not the best time there.

Socco
03-13-2008, 04:50 PM
How about Sri Lanka? Dare I say it but I reckon there is some untapped diving down that way and what makes it even better is that they play some pretty decent cricket there too! But then I would say that being a pom :D :D

fishome25
03-13-2008, 10:02 PM
cricket?! I've yet to meet an american that understands that crazy sport.

anyone been to africa?

bottlefish
03-14-2008, 12:35 AM
I was in the East Cost of South Africa in July last year, Proteus Banks and Aliwals Shoals - good shark diving with tigers, black tips,duskies, bronze, bulls and sand tigers. The water is warmer in Feb, so you'll get more tigers in (provided the local fishermen haven't caught them all!). Reef's weren't fantastic, but were still OK, neighbouring Mozambique is supposed to be stunning, but I haven't had the chance yet!

Papa Bear
03-14-2008, 06:11 AM
Fiji! Pacific Harbor and Beqa Lagoon Big Fish Encounter! Video (http://www.twotankedproductions.com/traveltripinformation/fiji2007.html) Also known as "One of the best Shark Dives in the world" Howard Hall!

bottlefish
03-14-2008, 11:23 AM
Fiji! Pacific Harbor and Beqa Lagoon Big Fish Encounter! Video (http://www.twotankedproductions.com/traveltripinformation/fiji2007.html) Also known as "One of the best Shark Dives in the world" Howard Hall!

Not sure I'd recommend heading to the South Pacific tropics in Feb, you're slap bang in the middle of the cyclone season! Worth a visit for sure, but perhaps in the cooler months between May/June and October/November?

fishome25
03-16-2008, 02:36 PM
yea i heard fiji in feb is a bad idea

scuba smurf
03-16-2008, 06:57 PM
I'd be happy with anywhere that the water is warmer than 30f:)

Papa Bear
03-17-2008, 03:05 PM
No worse than Cozumel in September! Just get trip insurance, low season has some good discounts and depending where in Fiji you go the weather can be very nice!

bottlefish
03-19-2008, 09:35 AM
No worse than Cozumel in September! Just get trip insurance, low season has some good discounts and depending where in Fiji you go the weather can be very nice!
I think more accurate to say it would depend on if and where the low pressures and cyclones decide to go. There's no safe spot in Fiji where you're guaranteed to avoid the low pressures, and unlike Cozumel, it's not part of a big land mass, cyclones wont just fizzle out.

Papa's quiet right though, the weather can be very nice in Feb... it's just taking a gamble, if you do get hit by a cyclone, financial compensation through insurance is going to be the last thing on your mind!

allisonfinch
03-28-2008, 12:17 AM
:p

Hey!! Come with us to PNG. I will be spending a month doing exploratory diving off the south shore of New Britain Island on the FeBrina. We will be looking for the next "HOT SPOT"!

littlemermaid
08-12-2008, 04:37 PM
thanks for the replies. I think I will prob end up back in the Philippines or maybe Thailand. If I did atlantic it would be Bonaire or Belize, but the the atlantic reefs kind of bore me :)
hi there! if you're ever intersted in going to Belize, check out www.islamarisolresort.com. great rates for all inclusive packages, including 2-3 dives per day. in the spring, they also do whaleshark dives. you should definately experience it. if you have any questions, please feel free to write me.
good luck in your travel plans!

Sarah
08-12-2008, 04:56 PM
That looks like a really secluded nice resort set on a private little island...idyllic!

shinek
08-12-2008, 07:07 PM
We've been to Belize a couple of times, great diving. Reefs are excellent, fish life abundant, would recommend it to anyone. We've only done the outer reefs, can't speak to what the diving's like nearer shore.

First time was at Lighthouse Reef Resort, had a fabulous time but I think its currently closed. Last time was Turneffe Island Lodge. Excellent in every respect, as long as you don't want the big hotels, resorts, nightclub type holiday as there is nothing out there but a few, very well appointed, huts, a nice bar and a beach. Very good fishing as well as diving, for those who are interested. Not sure what the rates are these days as they were talking about upgrading the place and putting the rates up accordingly, to make it a more exclusive destination. Not sure if that happened or not, but I expect its all on their web site.

www.turneffelodge.com

Also, if you go, take the time to spend a couple of days on the mainland, Mayan ruins, jungle tours, tube the river caves etc. Well worth it, in my opinion.

Nemo
10-31-2008, 03:50 AM
Why not splurge and go to Micronesia? Or French Polynesia? That's world class diving but not cheap!!! Cheaper and also interesting is Bunaken out of Mindano, Sulawesi, Indonesia. Or if you are doing Philippines go to Donsol south of Manila and to the east. Supposed to be the whaleshark capital of the world..... or so they say.....around april/may is the best time.

A colleague of mine from the Philippines who I worked with in Thailand owned dive shops in both places (not at the same time). He said he preferred Thailand. He claimed there was less big stuff in the Philippines. But it depends where you go in the Philippines and when. Also, in the Similans now there is a lot of noticeable damage to the coral due to the tsunami. Still is beautiful though. Was in Khao Lak when the tsunami hit and our house was destroyed with us in it. Barely escaped alive from the huge wave smashing thru our house carrying motorcycles, fridges, you name it along with it. Had to punch our way thru the roof to get out alive, away from the deadly river raging thru what 30 seconds before was our room. Water so powerful all the clothes were ripped from us. The entire village was a mess. Last time I was in Khao Lak the place was still pretty scarred up but they were rebuilding and the bad parts of the reefs in Similans can be avoided. So you'll still find good diving there.

You could also go to Sipadan on Borneo, Malaysia. If you got 3 weeks and it's your only trip of the year........SPLURGE.....and don't forget to take me.

Sarah
10-31-2008, 04:19 AM
Take me too! lol

Okeanos
11-06-2008, 05:51 PM
I've been to Thailand for every February since 1999, next year will be the first year I go somewhere else, not sure where yet!