PDA

View Full Version : Fins for kids - sizing question.

littleleemur
02-25-2008, 06:58 PM
How do you correctly size fins for kids?

Not so much the fit of the foot pocket, but the length of the actual fin in relation to their height/leg length? The sizing chart on some kids' fins cross over with the smaller sized adult fins with the main difference being the length of the fin.

Is shortter better? so as to not create unnecessary stress on their [growing] legs? or is it better to invest in adult fins?

DRW
03-29-2008, 05:53 PM
The rigidity of the blade is likely to be key. Some East European research on stiff-bladed fins used by competitive finswimmers in the 1960s appeared to suggest that such fins could cause tendon damage when used by young people for prolonged periods. Softer bladed fins, particularly all-rubber ones, presented no danger.

littleleemur
04-09-2008, 08:59 PM
Thanks for the info! I'm currently shopping for a set of fins for an 8-year old and while I'm not wanting to spend a fortune on growing feet, I didn't want to get the cheapest just in case they did harm to growth.

DRW
04-10-2008, 04:14 PM
Glad to help.

I don't know where you're based, but Greek-made Majorca Sub Dolphin natural rubber fins are recommended here in Europe for younger children, not least because they come in a full baby-to-adult size range and have soft, comfortable foot pockets and supple blades:

They are reasonably priced, therefore cheaper to replace when feet grow, and they conform to German Standard DIN 7876.

Majorca Sub Dolphins are just one example of what is on offer, though. Whatever type of fins you eventually choose, be sure to check that they fit properly both in terms of length and breadth. You may be able to get some local advice from a swimming teacher as fins are often used nowadays when training swimmers.