PDA

View Full Version : Hi from Kansas!

swimmergrl
02-24-2008, 05:10 AM
Hey all!

I know what you are thinking! How do you scuba dive in Kansas? The answer is, you don't, which stinks! Technically you can, but the water in the reservoirs are so muddy you wouldn't see your hand in front of your face. I'm heading to an ocean when I graduate in a year and a half! I got interested in scuba diving when I spent 5 weeks in Mexico as a volunteer doing fish surveys and reef monitoring. Before that, fish never really interested me, because I only ever thought of catfish when talking about fish!

That trip was what really pushed me away from vet med into wildlife biology. I'm finishing up a dual degree in Animal Science and Wildlife Biology, and after I spend some time working and paying off bills, I'm going to work towards a masters in a marine science, and hopefully a PhD after so I can run my own experiments. I want to save the world, I just hope there will be something left to save!

Rachel

Sarah
02-24-2008, 07:00 AM
Hi Rachel, welcome to the SMN community! We have all sorts of landlocked dives here, so you are in good company!

h2odragon1
02-25-2008, 12:43 AM
Welcome Swimmergirl;
As divechick pointed out, there are many places to dive other than the ocean. You have others from Kansans on this board, so if you need places to dive for a weekend, you can post a question,and someone from Kansas will answer. Great way to meet new dive buddies also.
:)

Bodie
02-28-2008, 04:06 AM
Hi there,

I'm new to this forum too, discovered it on facebook. I cannot imagine how it must feel to want to dive but live in a landlocked state. I'm from the Philippines and there are two provinces with numerous world class dive sites within a two to three hour dive, thus, we dive almost every weekend or at least twice a month. heaven :)

If you ever visit the Philippines, let's go diving. The costs of diving here is quite cheap from a westerner's perspective.

Cheers!

Bodie