PDA

View Full Version : A new entry technique

hbh2oguard
02-20-2008, 08:21 PM
It's the army crawl:) No they weren't in trouble, I would have help, but their instructor??? had no clue what she was doing because the entire beach was watching and there were TONS of divers. So I took a few pics before entering, so what do you think?

hbh2oguard
02-20-2008, 08:25 PM
They finally made it out!!! I couldn't attach all 4 at once.

hbh2oguard
02-20-2008, 08:31 PM
It's a good thing it was flat but these are the people that shouldn't be diving. I can't even blame them but the technique that was taught to them. Why is crawling in taught, I sure don't remember that???? I remember being told you can crawl out if necessary, which I have NEVER done and NEVER will! Personally if I see someone crawling, I feel that they are in need of help because humans were taught at a young age to walk on two feet. I'm just confused can anyone help explain:confused:

lottie
02-20-2008, 09:50 PM
Why is crawling in taught, I sure don't remember that???? I remember being told you can crawl out if necessary, which I have NEVER done and NEVER will!

Definitely confusing stuff...IMO as to why they were crawling in, is if they are standing (without fins) in an enemy situation, they are more of a target, plus have to then put on their fins..if you're crawling, it makes it easier as you are using your upper body weight/elbows/knees to move yourself forward.

Hope that makes sense.

hbh2oguard
02-21-2008, 12:22 AM
What's IMO

But that's a good reason, if I ever get into combat diving I'll know what to do:)

Papa Bear
02-21-2008, 12:32 AM
Dude, that is old school big surf entry! Go until you get knocked down and crawl out under the waves with your reg in your mouth! It looks like everything except the waves! I would say that the instructor has been around awhile and I agree with that type of training!

hbh2oguard
02-21-2008, 12:44 AM
yea except they were flopping around like seals in the wetsand and like you said the surf is missing. Also I was under the impressing that you could get barotrauma if breathing compressed air in surf since you can get tossed up or down a lot in a matter of seconds.

hbh2oguard
02-21-2008, 12:46 AM
oh yea they were also prone not on their knees and hands

Daddy-h2O
02-21-2008, 12:58 AM
It would appear to be a training thing (there are some strange methods out there)

Because given the low surf it appears that they could have walked out in to water, waist deep and put on fins (with a buddy) then to shoulder deep and donned the bc.

I would caution jumping to conclusion right away.
(these are the people that shouldn't be diving) I have been used as a "difficult" student for instructors in training.

hbh2oguard
02-21-2008, 02:02 AM
like I said I can't blame them but if they are having this much trouble getting in they very well could not be in the right mind state to dive.

Papa Bear
02-21-2008, 02:56 AM
Seal empathy training! What it "Feels" Like to be a poor helpless Seal!?????? Up north you never know???!!!

hbh2oguard
02-21-2008, 03:21 AM
especially when the great white gets a bite:) Yea you never know since whites are sited all around there was one sited I think Sat or Sun about 10mi upcoast from where the pic was taken.

lottie
02-21-2008, 12:01 PM
What's IMO

IMO = In My Opinion
IMHO = In My Humble Opinion

HTH ;)

Tigerbeach
02-21-2008, 03:36 PM
I taught a beach diving for years and surf entries/exits were a vital part of my class.
I taught crawling out when getting knocked down in the surf zone; I just never thought to teach them to wiggle in...

hbh2oguard
02-21-2008, 06:10 PM
IMO = In My Opinion
IMHO = In My Humble Opinion

HTH ;)

thanks for clearing it up:)

hbh2oguard
02-21-2008, 06:13 PM
I taught a beach diving for years and surf entries/exits were a vital part of my class.
I taught crawling out when getting knocked down in the surf zone; I just never thought to teach them to wiggle in...

I guess lower surface area, how can you fall if your rollin:) It was just kind of funny because they started in the moist not even wet sand and there was no surf. Forget about crawling just do the worm:D

Papa Bear
02-21-2008, 06:18 PM
You should have asked! Then we would all know!:eek:

hbh2oguard
02-21-2008, 06:22 PM
I shall, I'll be there this weekend again helping out with a class and if I see that lady I make sure to ask her.

littleleemur
02-22-2008, 12:14 AM
Please do.

It just looks too painful (and stupid without the big surf). If I tried doing exactly what they were doing, in the same exact conditions, I think I would be stuck in the wet sand unable to get up :(

Maybe it's some sort of initiation? :confused:

hbh2oguard
02-25-2008, 12:41 AM
Well I didn't run into her but I gave her entry a shot. It's terrible but was a fun expierence since it was a dare, I was with a group of 20 or so and got a few people to do it with me. The day was pretty stormy so it made diving worth going out today and it gave the poor beach master that was just freezing and wet a good laugh. Pretty much it's a waste of air and gets sand everywhere which is just annoying. Dragging on the bottom army crawling almost made my weight belt fall off and filled my Air2 with sand so it started to free flow. I'd say give it a shot if you ever need a good laugh but isn't a technique that should be taught or ever used.