PDA

View Full Version : Yoga, dietary intake and freediving

freediver
02-15-2008, 09:13 PM
Having had the opportunity to train with such notables as Kirk Krack, Pipin, and Aharon Solomons, I have to say, that although each has taught me something, it has been Aharon Solomons who brought me to a state of enlightenment so to speak regarding true freedive training.

A couple of years back, I had a chance to sit down with Aharon while attending one of his freedive courses and I asked him about what one method of training would be advantageous given the time constraints of todays hectic society. I was of the idea of doing weights, lots of cardio - the typical stuff we are all told to stay in good physical conditioning

He flat out said Yoga - Ashtanga Yoga (http://www.ashtanga.com/html/background.html) to be precise - would offer benefits that would be more beneficial - even outside of the freediving realm.

http://www.chakraproductions.com/images/CP_Front_2005_09_Ashtanga.jpg

"Yoga, specifically Ashtanga, can do more for your freediving, than going to any gym - and it's much less expensive" he said. I asked him to elaborate about this. He said that "yoga causes you to look inward - you can't afford to make mistakes while freediving. It can cost you your life if you become too distracted. Being 'Present' during a freedive is much like meditation - you become aware of your bodily processes during your descent and ascent. And it adds important flexibility needed for proper technique." Aharon places great importance on proper technique while in the water. "Why is style so important?" I asked. "First, it produces oxygen conservation." he said. "And secondly a 10% improvement in style equals a 10% improvement in results. Conversely, a 20% in improvement in fitness invested with bad style will not produce results whatsoever".

I myself have been a convert since last spring to a personalized routine that is a variation of the Primary series of Ashtanga yoga. I adapted it to my own needs by splitting it into two parts. The first part takes approx. 30 minutes and the second part takes about 25 minutes. If my time is tight, I can still do 30 minutes and feel as though I accomplished a workout.

In addition, after some a couple recent experiences with commercial grocery store sold meat and poultry over the last 4 months that led to mild food poisoning (and the meat was supposedly fresh), I made the decision to go modified Lacto-Ovo vegetarian (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lacto-ovo_vegetarianism) and have noticed a difference in my energy level - and have lost about five pounds in the process. I still consume eggs and fish though - but make sure they are organic eggs and wild caught fish as much as possible. No Coffee, no dairy (except cheese - that's a hard one for me right now), no white sugar, flour, etc. It was difficult at first - even finding myself recently craving a nasty greasy cheeseburger, but I got past that craving - and it has made a huge difference in my overall well being. My uptake of protein has been replaced with Brown Rice Protein Powder, tofu and other plant based protein sources.

I'm not saying it's for everyone, but it is easier on the planet and your pocketbook. And the advantages for overall health are easily seen and felt.

littleleemur
02-16-2008, 03:51 AM
There are few things in this world that go together as well as yoga and diving. A short 20-30min basic morning routine would improve your dive immensely. You are relaxed, your muscles are awake and used to a pattern of deep slow breathing and you are hyper aware of your body in the water.