PDA

View Full Version : Hello freedivers?

Chad
01-15-2007, 07:27 PM
Any other freedivers on here yet?

Just went freediving on the SE Florida coast Saturday, but it was rough as hell, so we ended up in the bay.

Still better than not getting wet.

Chad

oceanic
01-19-2007, 12:37 PM
Freediving more with spearfishing in mind, but hey freediving none the less. Thats 2 then :cool:

Sarah
01-19-2007, 02:11 PM
Chad, your new avatar rocks!

However you;'ve now created a dilema: With such a professional looking avatar one would expect from a high end graphics department, you may be conscripted to update the ScubaMagazine upper left logo.lol

Nice job!

Spr_Fshr
01-19-2007, 02:30 PM
Count me in. I lived in the Keys for nine years and spearfished quite a bit there. Here in NC I freedive when conditions allow. If it's deep I'll use scuba and if it's really deep I'll tek dive.
Jay

Chad
01-19-2007, 04:18 PM
Chad, your new avatar rocks!

However you;'ve now created a dilema: With such a professional looking avatar one would expect from a high end graphics department, you may be conscripted to update the ScubaMagazine upper left logo.lol

Nice job!

iDC,

Thanks, but I can't take credit for it... I borrowed it from a buddy, Robin Berg is Speargun Hunter's creator & producer.

http://www.beiproductions.com/home.htm

http://outdoorchannel.com/showinfo.cfm?site=1&PageName=ShowDesc&ShowID=654

BTW, your avatar is no slouch either!

CC

DiverTodd
01-21-2007, 12:57 PM
Hi Chad, freediver here, too! Really looking forward to continuing my training with PFI this April in Grand Cayman. It'll be a NICE change from OHIO...

Todd

seasnake
01-31-2007, 06:52 PM
I have been very interested in free diving since I was a kid. Where would one start in training to get better at it? Any suggestions, hints, tips on making improvements in depth and time spent underwater?

aquashik
02-02-2007, 07:28 PM
the only thing that helped me get better in freediving is to just keep on doing it. just free dive as much as you can that way your ears will get used to it. but one thing i learned from freedivers (that was taught differently when i took my scuba course) is to remove the snorkel from my mouth everytime i go down.

cheers!

dmay
02-03-2007, 12:14 AM
...remove the snorkel from my mouth everytime i go down.

cheers!

That's probably one of the most important tips you could get right there. The reason being, if you suffer a Shallow Water Blackout (SWB - You'll hear this term A LOT from freedivers), the snorkel left in your mouth leaves an open passage for water to enter directly into your lungs. Taking the snorkel out of your mouth increases your chances of surviving a SWB by triggering you mammalian reflexes to close off your air passage should you black out.

An excellent source for freediving information is a book written by Terry Maas, "Freedive!" http://www.amazon.com/Trident-FREEDIVE-BOOK/dp/B0000BZJFX/sr=8-7/qid=1170465074/ref=sr_1_7/105-1032745-5131652?ie=UTF8&s=sporting-goods

Make sure you dive with a buddy :)

Chad
02-04-2007, 07:55 PM
Performance Freediving is a great course. I took it in 2003 and am considering going back again. It is ever evolving information and techniques from some of the most knowledgeable and talented freedivers in the world.

Chad

Zero
02-05-2007, 10:55 AM
Practice on land. If you go for a jog hold your breath to train your body. Go for say 10 light poles then hold your breath till the 11th. Do that for a while and then increase it to every 9th pole. SLOWLY work you way up and then start going from say the 10th to the 12th pole holding your breath. Over time your body will learn to use less oxygen and use what it does better which will result in you going deeper and longer in the water. Time in the water helps too. Just what ever you do take it slow and steady and dont push yourself. Shallow water blackout wont kill you but your first breath underwater could.

Matt

hbh2oguard
02-18-2007, 06:43 PM
dmay I live in Huntington so if you want to go bug hunting before the season closes give me an email

dmay
02-20-2007, 12:22 AM
Yeah, I'll hit you up when this weather gets a little better.

hbh2oguard
02-21-2007, 05:28 AM
sounds good

freediver
03-05-2007, 11:35 PM
I have been very interested in free diving since I was a kid. Where would one start in training to get better at it? Any suggestions, hints, tips on making improvements in depth and time spent underwater?
Get Professional Instruction - PFI seems to be the only game in the U.S. - But with Martin leaving PFI, he may be looking to teach - this coming from a reliable source in France who knows him.
Realize that freediving is a participatory endeavor - no weekend warriors or posers - train 5 days a week is what I do - Read Umberto Pellizzari's "The Manual OF Freediving" - in my opinion it's the bible on freediving.
Develop a base level of cardio fitness, but then take it up a notch and begin doing cardio while in short states of Apnea - I use an arc trainer 3 days a week at the gym and do almost 60 minutes of variations in apnea cardio training - this will develop a higher level of efficiency of the body when levels of CO2 are present. Find the Static Apnea tables (google them) - they are key to developing your breath hold.
Pool training is important. Technique is crucial - anyone who bicycle kicks with long blades needs to go get some help. And the vast majority of spearo's have some of the worst technique I have ever seen. It took Aahron Solomons to drum that into my head when I trained with him last year.
DON'T buy plastic blades - they only FUBAR any amount of technique you might develop. Get real long blades (preferably glass composite at a minimum), make sure they aren't stiff - believe it or not, one can be more efficient with a softer blade underwater - Get a good low volume mask - no scuba masks!!!HTH,

Chad
03-13-2007, 08:26 PM
Good training suggestions all around.

Nothing beats just getting out diving. Well into a long day of diving you really feel "in the groove!"

And for the first time in a long while, I got to dive both days this weekend, and really felt the difference into the second day.

Having the best gear and lot's of time for training and diving is great... but I've occasionally had my butt kicked by freedivers with limited diving time available, while using the plastic long blades they could afford.

Everybody is welcome in this sport.

Winter is over, it's Daylight Savings Time and life is good!

Chad

santelmo
04-07-2007, 05:15 AM
here in Palawan and other parts of the Philippines i've seen boatmen/ guides that have excellent free diving skills. they only use home made fins called as Padyak/ pamadyak (stomp/tread) it's made out of thick ordinary black rubber straps (like the one you get from hardware shops) and a piece of plywood shaped like a large plate. sometimes they use two but most of the time i see only one piece. they dive deep w/ no effort and stay underwater longer. they also use home made spear guns.... again just w/ rubber bands, wooden stick and a metal/ stainless spear... heck, even their goggles are made of wood, thick rubber bands and plain glass... :D

Tigerbeach
07-24-2007, 01:57 AM
A reason to remove your snorkel while spearfishing is to get the air out of it.
A dislodged air bubble can make noise, and big fish are smart...

kaa005
04-07-2008, 07:40 PM
Get Professional Instruction - PFI seems to be the only game in the U.S. - But with Martin leaving PFI, he may be looking to teach - this coming from a reliable source in France who knows him.
Realize that freediving is a participatory endeavor - no weekend warriors or posers - train 5 days a week is what I do - Read Umberto Pellizzari's "The Manual OF Freediving" - in my opinion it's the bible on freediving.
Develop a base level of cardio fitness, but then take it up a notch and begin doing cardio while in short states of Apnea - I use an arc trainer 3 days a week at the gym and do almost 60 minutes of variations in apnea cardio training - this will develop a higher level of efficiency of the body when levels of CO2 are present. Find the Static Apnea tables (google them) - they are key to developing your breath hold.
Pool training is important. Technique is crucial - anyone who bicycle kicks with long blades needs to go get some help. And the vast majority of spearo's have some of the worst technique I have ever seen. It took Aahron Solomons to drum that into my head when I trained with him last year.
DON'T buy plastic blades - they only FUBAR any amount of technique you might develop. Get real long blades (preferably glass composite at a minimum), make sure they aren't stiff - believe it or not, one can be more efficient with a softer blade underwater - Get a good low volume mask - no scuba masks!!!HTH,

where i am, i cant get much professional instruction, are there any other sites, books, forums that could help me improve my skills.
i mainly spearfish using scuba gear, but i want to take it to the next step. like one of the guys mentioned big fish are smart and bubbles scare them off and i'm tired of catching small fish :)

but mainly, i want to improve my skills to improve my cardio fitness and oxygen intake levels

acelockco
04-07-2008, 09:17 PM
Where do you live, maybe we can help you find some training or another diver in your area that you can train with?

kaa005
04-08-2008, 03:03 PM
Where do you live, maybe we can help you find some training or another diver in your area that you can train with?

i'm in Bahrain, i know most of the guys down here as well as all the shops. as for the closest, my best bet would be oman, saudi, egypt, and jordan. if you have any info, it would be greatly appreciated.

cheers