PDA

View Full Version : Fins for small feet - need advice

Nuclear Girl
01-15-2008, 01:34 PM
I have small feet (UK size 3 1/2; US childrens size 4; Europe size 36 1/2) and have had a lot of trouble in the past with my fins coming off during dives, no matter how tightly I pull the straps beforehand. I now use children's full foot fins, but really would prefer bootees and strap fins, think it's safer.

Has anyone else had this problem? Could anyone recommend the best fins for small feet? Would appreciate advice!

Sarah
01-15-2008, 02:00 PM
Hi NuclearGirl, welcome to the SMN Community.

Try TUSA (http.www.tusa.com)

They make the below fins in XS and have all sorts of colors.

http://www.tusa.com/uploads/commerce/images/reg/SF_6.jpg

bubbles
01-17-2008, 12:25 PM
I vary between a size 4 and size 5 shoe as I have small feet but wide too. I use Scubapro split fins but with boots I come out as a medium - so maybe the small might fit you. I LOVE these fins as I have always had problems with cramps in the balls of my feet but since switching to these - I have had no problems. :) Could you get your dive centre to let you try some fins in a pool before buying?

seasnake
01-17-2008, 04:16 PM
I read about a test in scuba diving magazine and the results were that full foot fins were more efficient, I think the conclusion was because they were locked better to your foot? Anyway, not sure if they are less safe then pocket fins. Usually the boots are just nice for warmth and if you expect to do a lot of walking on rough shoreline.

Chantelle
01-17-2008, 05:24 PM
I actually have a few pairs of fins that are waaaaay too small for me. They are similar to Jets, and would probably fit children. I will have to check and see if there are sizes on them. I think there are one pair that fit me with my booties on, so I'd like to keep them, but the other two are smaller, and I would be willing to part with them.

Let me know if you're interested :)

littleleemur
02-03-2008, 09:16 PM
I have small feet (UK size 3 1/2; US childrens size 4; Europe size 36 1/2) and have had a lot of trouble in the past with my fins coming off during dives, no matter how tightly I pull the straps beforehand. I now use children's full foot fins, but really would prefer bootees and strap fins, think it's safer.

Has anyone else had this problem? Could anyone recommend the best fins for small feet? Would appreciate advice!

If the XS don't fit, try the Junior Fins offered by Aqualung and Akona. They are exactly the same as their Adult versions. Sometimes just changing the type of bootie you wear may help in finding a pair of fins that work for you, as fit has a lot to do with the shape as well as the length of the foot pocket.

Also, if your straps keep sliding off, try spring straps [get the narrower ones].

I am a US 5.5/6 UK 4 and wear a XS Cressi's.

Good Luck.

Diverdaniel
02-04-2008, 09:55 AM
i know that Scubapro make a very very small size jetfin, looks like a toy :)
i have a friend that has a pair.
she never complains abuot cramps or any other problems
also i agree about the Aqua-Lungs and AKONA

good luck

Nuclear Girl
02-06-2008, 08:30 AM
Thank you all for your good advice - I will follow up! Chantelle - thanks for your kind offer, but I really do need to try before I buy. :)

I'm going to the Dive Show in London in March, so hopefully I'll be able to get some very small fins there - will look out for the makes you all have suggested.

Thanks again. :)

DRW
03-30-2008, 10:37 AM
Full-foot fins are indeed considered by freedivers to be more efficient than open-heel ones. Closed-heel fins with foot pockets that are a little large for the wearer can be secured with the use of fin grips, a clever French invention from the early 1960s:

There is a full-foot version of the jet fin called the Süper Jet, manufactured by the Turkish diving equipment company Free Sub:

Like the original Beuchat Jet Fin of the early 1960s, it comes with a heel strap as well as a closed heel, enabling a more secure fit.