PDA

View Full Version : What is my name?

cajunfla
01-15-2008, 08:05 AM
Please help me identify this shell.

Shell found about 30' down, maybe 200 yards off of Guam on a beach dive.

Thanks,
jeff

Diverdaniel
01-15-2008, 09:32 AM
Jeff'

what we seem to be looking at is a Cowrie shell called Cypraea mappa
Taxon: Cypraea (Leporicypraea) mappa mappa (Linne 1758)
Common Name: Map Cowrie

thats a nice looking shell you got there

Diverdaniel
01-15-2008, 09:50 AM
dug something up for you mate:

Family: Cypraeidae. There are over 250 known species living in warm sea areas. Cowries live under rocks and feed on algae at night. The exterior of the shell is smooth and highly polished. This is because the animal has a covering called a mantle, which wraps around the entire shell. Each animals mantle is brilliantly colored and is often more interesting than the shell itself. The mantle actually has finger-like projections all over it making the shell look like a sponge. When the mantle is touched, the animal withdraws, exposing the shell underneath. This natural camouflage is what makes cowries some of the hardest shells to find. Interesting Facts: During the Roman period, cowries were known as Porculi, meaning little pigs. The name was later lengthened to Porceletta. When fine pottery was introduced to European society from the Far East, the shape of these new items reminded people of the Porceletta shells. Thus, the term porcelain was given to the pottery. In some countries, the cowrie shell represents fertility, and is given to brides to guarantee offspring and provide a safe delivery. In other countries, it was believed that the shell protected against the evil eye. They were also attached to fishing nets to promise a good catch. The golden cowrie from the Fiji and Solomon Islands is a symbol of power and rank for chieftains. Cowries have also been used in art, as money, jewelry and as religious symbols since the beginning of man.

thanks to shell world.com

cajunfla
01-15-2008, 10:35 AM
Wow, thanks for the info. Guess that makes me lucky, as my dive buddy swam right over it and never noticed it.

Diverdaniel
01-15-2008, 12:19 PM
Gotta love the innerspace :)

Sarah
01-15-2008, 01:12 PM
DiverDaniel, great post! I enjoyed reading that.....

Diverdaniel
01-15-2008, 02:28 PM
thanks Chick :)

i would love to answer any marine bio questions. i got a great database here