PDA

View Full Version : ID's no longer required to fly

The Publisher
01-15-2008, 12:38 AM
How to Fly Without ID (http://www.lookingglassnews.org/printerfriendly.php?storyid=7040)

amtrosie
01-16-2008, 03:10 AM
I don't know where to start with this self-absorbed idiot!! I think I'll start with: If he doesn't like the requirements to fly, DON'T FLY!!!!!!! I have gone over my copy of the constitution......all right, I went on line, And don't see any where within the text where the right to fly is a guarantee. Since when is travel a god-given right? While I have not made it a life's goal to read every one's holy book, the ones that I have read or looked over never contained a passage guaranteeing the right to to travel without production of appropriate documentation. What this moron proves is: 1. he isn't a constitutionalists (he needs to know his rights better) 2. he is more interested in wasting people's time and proving a non-point, than getting on a plane.

His assertion of a Nazi state is so wrong it is nauseating!!! Nazi Germany required papers, providing permission to travel to a destination. To compare today's flying regulations to 1940's is to call up to mind a very bad time in world history. To compare the two is truly an act, seeking to inflame those parties torn apart, forever. He is inciting hate with this reference, thus showing his stupidity!

He fails to consider the reason for today's rules, almost 4000 people died here in the U.S. in one day, alone. This doesn't even consider the rest of the world, and their suffering at the hands of the ill-intentioned! It is comments like this, (that are protected by the constitution) that make me wish we could pass an amendment stopping idiots like this from sounding off.

seasnake
01-16-2008, 05:46 PM
I must admit, can you imagine standing in line BEHIND this guy waiting to board?:p

Is that a common thing, that people are upset to have to show their ID? I don't find it such a big deal.

The Publisher
01-16-2008, 06:16 PM
I think the issue is the government is not accomplishing anything by asking for ID's.

People have a proud tradition here in the U.S. of defying the government. From the Founding Fathers, to Susan B. Anthony who defied the government who prosecuted her for voting, to Rosa Parks, all these people defied the government in the name of liberty.

All the 9/11 hijackers all had valid, government issued ID's and boarding passes, proving that asking for ID's and boarding passes accomplishes nothing.

I think somewhere throughout this characters beef he did say that had there been a long line behind him, he would have yielded immediately so as to not subject others to his act of defiance. I think he was more making a political statement while making sure it didn't impact anyone waiting in line behind him.

Until they do nude strip searches combined body cavity searches, nothing they are doing accomplishes anything, and TSA has admitted it. But they are doing virtual nude strip searches at Phoenix airport now. I find the concept of some guy running his hands all over me violative.

Reminds me of when I boarded an Amtrak train several years ago. Once I was on and the train was rolling, 10 minutes later the ticket taker guy goes to each passenger, and when he got to me, he asked me for ID. I asked him if he compares that to a database of anything, which he said no. I asked him what he expected to accomplish then, and he just sheepishly smiled and shrugged his shoulders.

I've been at airports where the terminal gate attendant goes on the PA system and says "All passengers 18 or older, please have your ID's and boarding passes ready." This translates to; "Now preboarding all airplane terrorist hijacking bombers 17 or under, no ID's required".

I wonder if the government is going to engage in taking away peoples' liberties, would that effort be better directed at terrorists or citizens?

Perhaps it it all were useful, a better argument could be made.

"Anyone who gives up essential liberty for temporary peace and security is worthy of neither". Quote widely attributed to Benjamin Franklin

acelockco
01-17-2008, 04:18 AM
I have mixed feelings on this. I do understand that by asking for ID this makes people feel safer. On the other hand, really we have the right to travel freely in this country without having "papers". How many rights do we start to give up because someone tells us to?

This guy does seem like he cares about this issue way too much and is going through a lot af BS for no reason, but someone has to stand up for our rights. I say, stand up for what you believe if you feel strongly enough about it.

Papa Bear
01-17-2008, 05:58 AM
Here is my take! I agree with everyone! Really! We do have a right to travel, but a business has the right to refuse service to anyone! I.e. Airlines wanting to know who is flying on THEIR planes! If what we are doing stops on Hi-jacker then it is working, and Hi-jackings are way down on US carriers, so something is working?!!! I can always chose to drive, walk, ride a horse, take a hot air balloon, or Boat to my destination. No one is stopping anyone from going anywhere, just limiting your choices at worst! The real truth is that there are radicals that have declared WAR on us and it will be a long one! We will only win when we crush them and still go about our business as close to normal as possible. One also has to wonder how much of this is about drugs and money laundering as well. Smuggling is also way down on Airlines I would bet! We must always be aware that government always wants to become bigger and more controlling it is its nature! We are a nation that is self divided on weather to turn over 1/3 of the GNP to the government with health care, so how will we ever agree on something as simple as Flying? As a Conservative, I hate to see any part of the government grow bigger other than our Armed Forces! Good flying and go diving! May all your dreams be wet ones!:D

seasnake
01-17-2008, 04:23 PM
I've been at airports where the terminal gate attendant goes on the PA system and says "All passengers 18 or older, please have your ID's and boarding passes ready."

Yeh, that is interesting. What if I walked up to the agent and said, "I'm 17"? Does that mean I don't have to show ID, and no one is going to verify I'm not over 18? Sometimes they ask you to show your ID and boarding pass, and I can see verifying that you are the person the booked the ticket and it's your boarding pass. But alas, this isn't done everywhere. That's what always gets me. Different procedures everywhere you go. Sometimes they want to see your boarding pass and ID to get on the plane, sometimes just your ID. Sometimes just your boarding pass, so they can scan the barcode, but to hell with your ID. So what's the dealio? There is obviously no official procedure in place.

The Publisher
01-17-2008, 07:39 PM
If the U.S can't keep illegal aliens out, how do they expect to keep terrorists from entering the country illegally with real documents, just like all the 9/11 hijackers had?

A rebuttable argument can be made about violating people's rights if makes people safe, but what they do now does not accomplish that, and I think that is the point of the political mischiefmaker.

Showing an ID and boarding pass accomplishes nothing, especially since boarding passes can be printed from the Internet.

See here (http://j0hn4d4m5.bravehost.com/pass.html)

lottie
01-17-2008, 10:33 PM
Showing an ID and boarding pass accomplishes nothing, especially since boarding passes can be printed from the Internet.

But showing your ID is standard practice anywhere you go - okay, when i've travelled either around europe or within the caribbean (i can't talk about around the states as I've never been up there!) they've always asked for the passport alongside the boarding pass/ticket - maybe to check the picture and the name....just my two cents worth...

...okay you americans can carry on with your kvetching ;) :oX

The Publisher
01-18-2008, 01:21 AM
I agree it is standard practice, but what does it accomplish?

And for the record, I wouldn't be a mensch if I didn't kvetch... ;)

acelockco
01-19-2008, 02:47 AM
But showing your ID is standard practice anywhere you go - okay,

Not in the United States, and that is the point.

Mountain Dog
01-19-2008, 02:08 PM
The showing of ID does not accomplish anything. As has been pointed out, the losers that carried out the 9/11 attacks had ID. You don't even have to be a legal resident of the U.S. to obtain ID.

The "security" steps being taken at US airports are nothing more than showmanship. The TSA's own inspectors are routinely able to get through screening with weapons. Yet we spend huge amounts of resources searching the shoes of little old ladies from the heartland. Because of one idiot who was a total failure in his attempt to light a "shoe bomb", millions of shoes are screened every day at airports. If that's not an absurd knee-jerk reaction that costs millions of dollars in wasted TSA time, I don't know what is.

The time, money, and effort wasted at airports would be far better spent by beefing up our border patrols and inspection of shipping containers that enter this country. You don't need airplanes to smuggle anything into the US. More than 90 percent of container cargo goes totally uninspected. That's just downright scary.

We are so concerend with political correctness these days that we are willing to waste our efforts to make sure that we don't offend any particular group of people. But by doing so we dillute our resources to the point where our security efforts are meaningless. We need to wake up our representatives of this government and force them to start doing this right.

Mountain Dog

acelockco
01-19-2008, 06:22 PM
The showing of ID does not accomplish anything. As has been pointed out, the losers that carried out the 9/11 attacks had ID. You don't even have to be a legal resident of the U.S. to obtain ID.

The "security" steps being taken at US airports are nothing more than showmanship. The TSA's own inspectors are routinely able to get through screening with weapons.

As far as the ID is concerned, you are 100% correct. Anyone can get an ID and good fake ones are very easy to aquire online or in any large city.

As far as the security steps, well I am sure it is better than doing nothing, but not much at all. All it really does is act as a deterrent. I am sure the TSA inspectors are able to get through. I personally have taken banned items through the TSA screening without getting caught. I am not going to say exactly what I brought through, but most of you that know me probablly know what it was. This is something I do just about every time I fly, so it is not just a random fluke that I made it through.

Maybe the entire thing is a big scam to make the airlines more money. There is surely some benifit for them. Even if it is just the fact that you can no longer bring a drink and are forced to purchase the drinks sold while in flight. That alone could be many millions of dollars per year in revenue alone. Of course all of the cost for the additional employees needed and equipment goes to the TSA, which of course our taxes pay for. It would not be the first time our government gave our money to the airlines!

hbh2oguard
01-24-2008, 06:21 PM
As far as the ID is concerned, you are 100% correct. Anyone can get an ID and good fake ones are very easy to aquire online or in any large city.

Well fakes "should" be harder to get since most states have adopted a new form of ID that will be harder to copy. I read about this at the very end of last year and I think it was if you were born after mid to late 50's you have to get a new ID/ driver's license by 2011 and anyone born before the mid 50's has another five years or so. But that still doesn't help if the government issues the ID to the terrorist or who ever.