PDA

View Full Version : Regulator advice

nomilk4u
01-09-2008, 06:45 AM
Right now I got a Mares Rebel regulator but now since I got my Divemaster I want to upgrade. I know what I want but don't know anyone with the reg I want to get any real feedback to see if is worth getting it.
It is a Sherwood Maximus reg. The main reason for this is i am a sherwood fan plus the easier breathing at depths greater then 80+ feet and the under the arm routing because we do alot of wreck, cavern and coral swim thrus here. I already had an Mares angled swivel on my reg but that is at a 45 degree bend and still got in the way. Any feed back on this reg would be nice. If it is not worth it I will just get a Sherwood Brute or Oasis.

amtrosie
01-10-2008, 01:58 AM
[QUOTE=nomilk4u;9881]I want to upgrade.

The main reason for this is i am a sherwood fan plus the easier breathing at depths greater then 80+ feet and the under the arm routing because we do alot of wreck, cavern and coral swim thrus here. I already had an Mares angled swivel on my reg but that is at a 45 degree bend and still got in the way. Any feed back on this reg would be nice. If it is not worth it I will just get a Sherwood Brute or Oasis

QUOTE]

Why don't you upgrade to a Mares Abyss? I dove this reg for years and loved it's performance.
If you are looking to change, consider the Scubapro MK 25 with the S600. This is my current reg that I use for trimix stuff. It is also on my deco bottles. This is the set up I use when doing my cave diving.

If you are routing your primary reg under your arm, is it on a 7' hose? That is the only configuration that should be in use for the diving you are referring to. The "long hose" should run down the length of the tanks, come under the canister light on the right hip, across the the chest, loop over the head, and finally into your mouth. This is primary reg. The back-up reg. (which should be identical to primary) should be on a short hose (24" or 26") and bungeed around your neck.

Tigerbeach
01-10-2008, 02:26 AM
Right now I got a Mares Rebel regulator but now since I got my Divemaster I want to upgrade. I know what I want but don't know anyone with the reg I want to get any real feedback to see if is worth getting it.
It is a Sherwood Maximus reg. The main reason for this is i am a sherwood fan plus the easier breathing at depths greater then 80+ feet and the under the arm routing because we do alot of wreck, cavern and coral swim thrus here. I already had an Mares angled swivel on my reg but that is at a 45 degree bend and still got in the way. Any feed back on this reg would be nice. If it is not worth it I will just get a Sherwood Brute or Oasis.

I loved the Sherwood Magnum for California beach dives; nice and simple, and easy to clean sand out of. Whatever Sherwood you like will be fine.

Congrats on becoming a Divemaster, and for your commitment
to the future of this sport.

nomilk4u
01-11-2008, 12:28 AM
[QUOTE=nomilk4u;9881]I want to upgrade.

The main reason for this is i am a sherwood fan plus the easier breathing at depths greater then 80+ feet and the under the arm routing because we do alot of wreck, cavern and coral swim thrus here. I already had an Mares angled swivel on my reg but that is at a 45 degree bend and still got in the way. Any feed back on this reg would be nice. If it is not worth it I will just get a Sherwood Brute or Oasis

QUOTE]

Why don't you upgrade to a Mares Abyss? I dove this reg for years and loved it's performance.
If you are looking to change, consider the Scubapro MK 25 with the S600. This is my current reg that I use for trimix stuff. It is also on my deco bottles. This is the set up I use when doing my cave diving.

If you are routing your primary reg under your arm, is it on a 7' hose? That is the only configuration that should be in use for the diving you are referring to. The "long hose" should run down the length of the tanks, come under the canister light on the right hip, across the the chest, loop over the head, and finally into your mouth. This is primary reg. The back-up reg. (which should be identical to primary) should be on a short hose (24" or 26") and bungeed around your neck.

I don't have a 7" Pri hose, i am also not a Tek Diver, not yet anyway. most, not if all wreck dives are between 40' to 140' deep with 140' being the sea floor and the cave entrance are 60' to 70' deep and they run from ocean salt to fresh water ponds inland. My 19cuf is my alt/back up/octo for wrecks/caves and that does have a bungee around my kneck. my normal octo is my Sherwood Gemini when reef diving and i still have a redundent SSI Spare Air.(just a teaser, the water temp stays a solid 84 degrees all year long hereunleyy you get in the fresh water, then it is 81..)
As for ScubaPro i do not have acces to get one out here, the only place that ships to Guam/APO-AP addresses without killing my wallet is scuba.com and they do not carry them. plus the maximus is the "ideal" model i'm looking for in hot and cold water since i will be going back to NJ(home) soon and will be diving there. I am curious if there is any known negitives on this gear and will it perform flawlessly in cold climates like is says.

I loved the Sherwood Magnum for California beach dives; nice and simple, and easy to clean sand out of. Whatever Sherwood you like will be fine.

Congrats on becoming a Divemaster, and for your commitment
to the future of this sport.

thanks, took me almost three years to get around to it, but i wanted to be sure i know what the hell i'm doing under there. I am happy i did with all the "panic/stressor" drills we did.

lars2923
01-11-2008, 12:56 AM
If you are looking to change, consider the Scubapro MK 25 with the S600.

I must agree with you on the suggestion of regulators. I own the MK25 S600 and 600T and they are performers. I use the MK25 S600 on my bailout. The 600T was my primary for open circuit diving, until one day a friend stuck his
Atomic B2 regulator in my face and I took one breath, removed the reg, looked at it, and then drew another breath.. OMG, performance was WOW.
In fact I liked them so much I bought 8 of them.

If you can find an MK25/600 and an Atomic B2, try them both and compare for yourself. They are both excellent regulators, but I've got to sway towards the B2.

Good luck on your selection.

jockers
01-11-2008, 01:30 AM
http://www.sherwoodscuba.com/product.php?product_id=266

maybe look at this new regulator of sherwood brand:)

jim

rsh110
01-11-2008, 04:48 PM
I have an atomic b2 regulator and I think its great! I got it on the advice of my instructor who used the m2 cause he does a lot of cold water diving. I can say it is way better compared to the regulator I did my first open water dives with but I have never tried the scuba pro so i really cant compare the two but i would reccomend checking out the atomic b2.

nomilk4u
01-11-2008, 10:07 PM
I must agree with you on the suggestion of regulators. I own the MK25 S600 and 600T and they are performers. I use the MK25 S600 on my bailout. The 600T was my primary for open circuit diving, until one day a friend stuck his
Atomic B2 regulator in my face and I took one breath, removed the reg, looked at it, and then drew another breath.. OMG, performance was WOW.
In fact I liked them so much I bought 8 of them.
If you can find an MK25/600 and an Atomic B2, try them both and compare for yourself. They are both excellent regulators, but I've got to sway towards the B2.
Good luck on your selection.

I have an atomic b2 regulator and I think its great! I got it on the advice of my instructor who used the m2 cause he does a lot of cold water diving. I can say it is way better compared to the regulator I did my first open water dives with but I have never tried the scuba pro so i really cant compare the two but i would reccomend checking out the atomic b2.

Again the choices I have do not include ScubaPro and the Atomic Aquatics B2. I live on the very small island of Guam on the edge of the Marianas trench. about 30% of the online stores ship to Guam or to APO-AP and only 10% of them charge below $100 for shipping for the smallest of items. scuba.com is my only option for stores and the local shops charge 30-80% over normal prices because of our location. I only buy batteries and refills from them, lol.

BamaCaveDiver
01-12-2008, 03:55 PM
Using scubadotcom, my choices would be (in order of preference):
1. Dive Rite - great regs, excellent custmer service, great prices
2. Zeagle - as close to the Apeks line as you will get without paying extra for the branding, great quality, good pricing, good service
3. Poseidon - the only reason I list this last is the price, these are great regs built to last a lifetime or two.

I started out with a Sherwood Maximus, good reg, breathed ok, but that dry bleed thing they have going on is just not for me.

nomilk4u
01-13-2008, 02:10 AM
Thank you for your advice Bama, I will look at those regs and see.

hbh2oguard
01-24-2008, 04:02 AM
I have a MK25/S600 and I like it a lot more then my other reg which is a maximus because mine is a few years old and has the longer exhaut T which doesn't allow it to fully swivel. I think I might just have to cut the T down or get a newer shorter one.

scuba smurf
01-25-2008, 05:47 PM
I"ve used sherwood for years, solid reg, excellent cold water performer, very easy to service, not the best breathing reg out there but very dependable. I've switched over to Apeks regs and couldn't be happier. Very nice breathing regs, awesome cold water reg, easy to work on and dependable as well. Can't go wrong with the apeks imho. Unfortunatley I haven't tried the other regs that Bama spoke of.

smurf

diverchrispy
03-04-2011, 01:32 PM
Spend the money (really not that much) and get Apeks regs. Absolutely the best most dependable IMHO.....it's your life support system....do you really want to cheap out on that?????

Chrispy

fooddude
06-05-2011, 06:35 PM
Haven't posted in awhile, but my opinion (and I dive in the NY/NJ waters regularly... no pun intended) is that the Poseidon regs are the best. The extra money is well spent because you rely on it quite a bit.

I use the Xstream, and they are easy to clean, breathe at all depths, adjust and maintain.

-FD

acelockco
06-09-2011, 01:19 AM
Poseidon regs are the best.

The Poseidon regs seem to be those that you either love or hate. I have never used one personally so I don't really have an opinion on them other then by what I read or have seen. I just find it so odd that the opinions on them are like that. Also, they are very popular with the NJ/NY wreck divers.

qiuyinffy
06-10-2011, 05:09 AM
Thank you for your advice Bama, I'll watch and see Reg.

acelockco
06-11-2011, 03:51 PM
Thank you for your advice Bama, I'll watch and see Reg.

Bama's post was 3-1/2 years ago, much has changed since then with regulators. I don't know if it matters to you as you are only watching and seeing reg.