PDA

View Full Version : PMW EX1 housings

The Publisher
01-06-2008, 05:49 AM
Seatool has their below EX1 housing:

Seacam, Equinox and Gates have all announced a pending EX1 housing.

We're all waiting to see what Amphibico does.

freediver
01-07-2008, 05:25 AM
Camera and housing are just too big for freediving.

CES has announced a bunch of Solid State AVCHD cameras coming to market - seems like the 9 month turnover cycle is ever present. I feel bad for those trying to edit the format - doesn't matter what platform or NLE you use.

Jon Shaw
01-31-2008, 10:33 PM
Looks like the Gates Housing will be $7K on it's own then add ports etc.

Jon

Beckave
02-05-2008, 02:27 PM
I dont think Amphibico can make a housing for the EX1 since there is no LANC hook up on the camera....

The Publisher
02-05-2008, 03:50 PM
Beckave, welcome to the SMN community!

I agree....I think it was a huge blunder for Sony not to have a LANC controller port.

I hope the next successor to this camera has a LANC port.. We really need a true HD videocam instead of HDV and we need 3 large imagers, whether it be CCD's or CMOS chips. HDV has issues with quick moving subjects, and interlacing is problematic.

I sometimes wonder if I would be better off shooting in 720P than 1080i.

freediver
02-06-2008, 11:55 PM
I've recently blogged (http://www.bluprojekt.com/internet-broadcasting-and-the-htpc.html) about the concept of Home Theater Personal Computers (HTPC's) and the notion that those who are taking sides with the HD format wars being a little out of touch with the changes coming in the next couple of years. It's my perspective, but I think it will come to pass, especially within the next couple of years.

I'm more concerned about which compression codec provides the best image quality for the smallest file size, and right now, DivX has become my new favorite. Internet broadcasting is a concept Adobe is pushing hard for, and I believe that many niche web channels will spring up due to the increased availability of bandwidth and better compression codecs.

In reality, the vast majority of people can't see the difference in an uprezzed to HD standard def DVD and actual HD content. The only ones really seeing the difference are those who make it their business to see the differences.

Personally, with all the crap going on with the airlines now charging extra for checking in a second bag, I prefer to shoot small cameras and housings - say, my HC7's with my Bluefin HC7 housing or Canon HV20/30's with a Gates Housing. Although it takes some additional time, one can use Fieldskit to deinterlace footage that is shot in 50i or 60i and it does a remarkable job. Use a laptop, firewire editing drives, and you're set.

One of my gripes is I think too many shooters are getting wrapped up in all the gear instead of shooting high quality content. I honestly don't believe shooters are using their gear to its fullest advantage - instead they seem to be relying upon their higher end gear to make up for substandard content - as if the gear is what makes the footage good or not (which it doesn't).

Show me what you can do with your existing gear - not what camera and housing of the moment you shot it with. I'm more impressed with someone who can push a so called lesser camera/housing to its limits and come back with excellent content as opposed to someone bragging about their high end camera and housing and seeing marginal content being shot with it.

littleleemur
02-07-2008, 03:01 AM
I've recently blogged (http://www.bluprojekt.com/internet-broadcasting-and-the-htpc.html)
One of my gripes is I think too many shooters are getting wrapped up in all the gear instead of shooting high quality content. I honestly don't believe shooters are using their gear to its fullest advantage - instead they seem to be relying upon their higher end gear to make up for substandard content - as if the gear is what makes the footage good or not (which it doesn't).

Show me what you can do with your existing gear - not what camera and housing of the moment you shot it with. I'm more impressed with someone who can push a so called lesser camera/housing to its limits and come back with excellent content as opposed to someone bragging about their high end camera and housing and seeing marginal content being shot with it.

I couldn't agree more :)

Here's the website of a DM I met in Phuket a few years back. He started this company the night we got back from the Similans. Quite a few of his photos on his website were shot with a Canon IXUS400 (4.MP) in the Canon Housing. He even shot some short video of a very angry Trigger with it.

http://www.liquidlense.co.uk/

Jon Shaw
02-11-2008, 11:14 PM
I do agree, but I also disagree. Having come from shooting with a little HC1 and an Ikelite housing, I reckon I got some good shots but it has serious limiting factors.
Have a look all HC1 footage (http://www.ginclearfilm.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=18&Itemid=35)

No decent WA options, crap in low light and lack of gain control are a few that come to mind. This limits the shots that you take or can use which personally I find extremely fustrating.

Now I have a Canon XHA1 in a Gates housing and it's heaps better but as you say the camera will not correct poor camera work. You can get a stunning image with low end gear in the right conditions, but if you want great images on a consistent basis you need the correct tools.

Jon

The Publisher
02-12-2008, 01:00 AM
Nice footage and editing John......

Jon Shaw
02-12-2008, 05:09 AM
Thanks mate, the diving has be really inconsistent for the last couple of months on the East coast of OZ.. I can't wait till we get some good conditions to really get the canon working hard!

freediver
02-12-2008, 03:23 PM
Nice footage and editing John......Solid work Jon, I appreciated the balanced use of music and ambient sound throughout the piece.

What are your thoughts of DivX as compared to Flash Video?

Papa Bear
02-12-2008, 04:23 PM
Beckave, welcome to the SMN community!

I agree....I think it was a huge blunder for Sony not to have a LANC controller port.

I hope the next successor to this camera has a LANC port.. We really need a true HD videocam instead of HDV and we need 3 large imagers, whether it be CCD's or CMOS chips. HDV has issues with quick moving subjects, and interlacing is problematic.

I sometimes wonder if I would be better off shooting in 720P than 1080i.

As far as movement, one thing you can do is turn off the steady cam feature it causes the blur problems trying to compensate for the movement. But remember it is a trade off, because if not switched back on, your regular shots look shaky!

Jon Shaw
02-12-2008, 07:58 PM
Regarding DivX and Flash, I like and use both... Due to the fact that you don't pay for bandwidth on DivX is a big advantage especially with a 10 min promo like the TUFI one. Quality is pretty good too for DivX, the real drawbacks are that people have to install the codec which will always put some people off. Flash I reckon takes a little more messing around but you obviously have greater control. As you have seen from my site the opening page is flash as the footage is short, I also want full control over it. The other pages are embedded DivX which is easy to move around and not expensive on my hosting bandwidth.

Cheers for the comments

Jon

uwvideoguy
03-12-2008, 03:46 AM
Equinox has started shipping the NEW HD10 housing for the Sony EX1, went away from the traditional yellow and went with Black for their new HD line.

B&H receives theirs next week.

Cheers.

The Publisher
06-08-2008, 01:35 PM
This just in.

The Publisher
08-21-2008, 02:52 AM
Here is two photos of the new SeaLux video housing made for the Sony Pm-EX1 videocam.

747 748

billyde
11-02-2008, 05:43 PM
The Gates Housing for the EX1 is awesome and has gone out on several rentals/productions with only good feedback. Well, there is one design complaint that I've heard a couple of times. The internal video cable is very short which was done intentionally to prevent the cable from being pinched when openeing and closing the housing. It's so short that you have attach the cable while the camera is half in/halfout of the housing. A little bit of a pain...but no biggie. Besides that...ALL good.

Billy DeCola
www.big10media.com