PDA

View Full Version : What have you found underwater ?

rubber chicken
01-03-2008, 02:58 AM
A couple of months ago, our dive club had a guest speaker who covered the issue of "Marine Rubbish" and its impact on the aquatic world.
Although I have always been one for picking up stuff from the bottom, this talk persuaded me to stick a small mesh bag in my pocket and I usually surface after a dive with it full of assorted detritus. Over the months I have found all sorts of stuff underwater. Bullets & Shotgun shells, 3 x Dive knives, a couple of snorkels, dive slates, masks, sunglasses, cell phones, enough fishing tackle to open my own tackle shop, a foot long Butchers knife, to name just some.
This morning I went on a lovely little dive along a breakwater near our local harbour. Along with finding a Seadragon, - a first for me!:D - and being checked out by a couple of dolphins, I found an unopened can of Tuna! My first thought was to find one of the local fishermen and stick it on his hook for a laugh!:cool: but it did get me thinking, What is the strangest thing you lot have found ?

PinayDiver
01-03-2008, 05:19 AM
I don't know about strange, more lucky on this one dive where we found a roll of dollar bills. A doll's head did give me a jolt once; looked creepy underwater. Also, I found a man's speedo and wondered about that :D

h2odragon1
01-03-2008, 04:17 PM
At a local quarry, people are always 'adding' stuff. I have found a bowling ball, golf ball (you could't find it if you were looking for it though), i removed a 10 lb ditchable weight once. In the quarry, they are always oficially adding stuff. drill machines; rock crushers; boats; trucks; small airplanes; recently they began adding a replica of an ancient Mediteranean cargo ship.
But, people will always be adding more and more interesting stuff. :)

divewithjay
02-19-2008, 12:06 AM
Dive knives, weights, a snorkel, bottles, cans, lots of lead fishing weights.

lottie
02-19-2008, 09:06 PM
I haven't seen much around here, as its within a protected marine reserve. There are a couple of old tyres, but they've been there a number of years and have become part of the reef.

Oh theres also a ceramic sink near the wreck as well (but don't know whether that went down when they sunk the wreck or not!)

littleleemur
02-19-2008, 10:35 PM
Uh...the sister ship to our liveaboard that "mysteriously" sunk a month ago in 90ft of reef with only 2 crew.

& a slashed poacher's cage well within the marine park's boundaries - Captain, crew and the DMs had to convince the guys it wasn't us when they boarded at night. We had marine park officials riding with us for the rest of the trip....:eek:

Tigerbeach
02-20-2008, 12:10 PM
Found an uncharted Japanese Zero off of Oahu...

Delta_v18
02-21-2008, 06:17 AM
May 2006, along the battered reefs of Demanglet Island, Coron, Palawan, my DM buddy pointed to a gin bottle. We were really surprised when we realized it was an undetonated home-made explosive that some damned fisherfolks here still use...:mad:

sun
02-21-2008, 06:26 AM
I found my buddy down there MMMMMM and NEMO!!!!:eek:
:D