PDA

View Full Version : CCR Scrubbers

Diverdaniel
01-02-2008, 07:34 AM
hey all,
anyone heard about a new scrubber that is not basic?
what i mean is, that it wont let off caustic soda fumes....
heard about a brand but no details.

thanks

Daniel

The Publisher
01-02-2008, 08:35 PM
Daniel,

You're referring to a scrubber that is called a hydrophobic scrubber. They are not new.

Cis-Lunar's MkVP had a membrane system blocking water ingress, hence the hydrophobic designation.

I believe the Boris also has a hydrophobic scrubber cannister, and the new Cis-Lunar MkVI will have an available option hydrophobic that allows the use of the more efficient lithium hydroxide absorbent.

Diverdaniel
01-03-2008, 09:20 AM
thanks Publisher :)
what about a scrubber that does not cause caustic fumes when it comes in to contact with water?
thanks for the hydrophobic scruber info though :)
interesting

The Publisher
01-03-2008, 02:38 PM
http://www.diveriteexpress.com/rebreathers/img/sr0101c.jpg

mempilot
02-18-2008, 02:27 AM
ExtendAir cartridge scrubbers reduce the chance of a caustic cocktail. The Dive Rite Optima is designed specifically for the EAC, and other rebreathers have mods to allow the use of the EAC. These RB's include the Inspiration, the Megalodon, and the Draeger. However, speaking from personal ownership of the mod for the Meg, the work of breathing is not the same as breathing through granular sorb. I recently sold the EAC adaptor for my Meg. The WOB is only acceptable for shallow recreational diving with relatively low work load. On deeper dives or high work load dives, the chance of CO2 buildup would be a major problem with the modification. I have heard this is true for the Inspo, but can not speak personally for it. I have heard the the EAC works quite well in the Draeger SCR though.

The solid nature of the material in the EAC makes it more tolerant to scrubber floods than pellets or granules. It is the same material used in modern submarines for the absorbtion of CO2. Various applications use sheets hung in areas of air flow and recirculation. (think room full of shower curtains) Other applications include cartridge type scrubbers of various sizes and capacities.

The Publisher
02-18-2008, 03:00 AM
Mempilot, first of all, welcome, AND nice Meg!

I too am not a fan of the cartridges, an they travel poorly and are more expensive. I have never had packing or channeling issues.