PDA

View Full Version : nitrox in Subic

h2odragon1
12-30-2007, 10:47 PM
As I have posted before, I am going to the Philippines next Feb. I have contacted someone to go diving with in Subic. He is suggesting geting a nitrox cert from TDI with two dives the total will come to $250. Does this seeem the right price for the nitrox course and the two dives?:confused:
It seems a little high.:eek:

Tom R
12-31-2007, 12:51 AM
Sounds right Instruction, Gas and the 2 dives with the instructor.

PADI also has a Nitrox course

acelockco
12-31-2007, 01:00 AM
Sounds like a pretty good deal in my eyes. My LDS charges $180 plus you have to pay for the dives and gas. I would say go for it, dive education is always one of the best things you can do to improve your dive skills.

The Publisher
12-31-2007, 02:44 AM
Well, in the Phils they price it Western......pretty much everyone charges what you might pay in the U.S. for dive instruction, so it seems perfectly in line with what other Phil based training costs.

With the deeper wrecks of Subic, Nitrox will be quite the benefit.

And of course, give us a trip report and some photos!

Far_X
12-31-2007, 03:12 AM
I was under the impression that Nitrox certification no longer required any dives and it is purely theory. I thought PADI was the last organisation to drop the dive requirement.

Mountain Dog
12-31-2007, 01:12 PM
Far X is correct that actual dives are no longer required for Nitrox Certification. But IMHO it's as good a reason as any to get in a couple of dives.

I would suggest getting the certification done before you go. You'll have better things to do there than sit in a classroom...like diving.

Mountain Dog

PinayDiver
01-01-2008, 12:27 PM
As I have posted before, I am going to the Philippines next Feb. I have contacted someone to go diving with in Subic. He is suggesting geting a nitrox cert from TDI with two dives the total will come to $250. Does this seeem the right price for the nitrox course and the two dives?:confused:

hi there. i emailed an acquaintance (momentarily back in canada) who used to work for a dive shop in subic. he thinks that is about the right price (but obviously every shop is different on price and number of dives and, i quote, "some nitrox courses don't require any dives at all"). he of course wanted to know which shop you are going to :D and mentions that he thinks 9000 pesos is what his dive shop offers for nitrox which amounts to a little less than $250 ($218 to be exact at today's exchange rate). just say if you want the url to that shop if only to compare deals. happy new year!

divebuddyoz
01-01-2008, 07:56 PM
i've just spent three months in Subic Bay. Blue Rock dive centre do Nitrox courses with PADI, SSI & TDI. the cost is 9000 peso which at the current exchange rate is $220 US. great instruction and great wrecks to do the nitrox dives. if you get to dive the USS New York that is a great bonus, the site is not always in-bounds due to US Navy restrictions. the website is www.divebluerock.net
hope this helps, their probaly one of the better shops in the surrounding area

PinayDiver
01-02-2008, 01:53 AM
hi oz, as it happens, we're talking about the same shop. my info came from kev c. (in case your paths crossed before he flew off to colder climes).
h2odragon1, yes, ask about uss new york. last time i was at subic, there were ships "parked" above it so we ended up at lst (landing ship tank) and el capitan instead. so we're still hankering to go back for that particular wreck (and to think i'm just in the country).

PinayDiver
01-03-2008, 05:29 AM

h2o, according to one local PADI instructor: "The TDI nitrox course with two dives at USD250 should be on the right prize range. Normally, a nitrox course is between USD175 to USD250 depending on the location. Subic is popular for nitrox and other technical-related diving."

He added that his shop in Anilao, Batangas has a promo for PADI EAN (nitrox) course at USD175 per participant. "It also includes 2 dives and participant manual with certification upon completing the course. Course duration is only for one day."

I'll PM you his contact details in the interest of research :)