PDA

View Full Version : Mel Fisher & the Atocha

Tek_Divr
01-01-2007, 06:23 PM
Did anyone see last night on the History Channel the really interesting program on finding and recovering artifacts of the Atocha by Mel Fisher's Treasure Salvor's? It was called The Search for the Atocha.

I remember seeing them at DEMA and I got to hold a huge chunk of gold from the Atocha that was at least ten pounds of gold. That was really interesting.

Apparently it is also shown now and then on A&E, or one can buy a DVD of it on Amazon.

You can buy coins and other artifacts here (http://www.melfisher.com/treasuresales/store/Scripts/default.asp)

Daddy-h2O
03-04-2007, 04:16 PM
Ever been to the Mel Fisher Musemum in Key West? I it's interesting but not very informative (my opinion) but just the same, a worthwhile trip.

Buoyant1
03-26-2007, 01:18 AM
Been there...I agree..interesting, but nothing more..the hard sell to "invest" is a bit grating...the emails sent from their people go un answered (especially when you ask if any of this "investing" gives you any dive priviledges)

The really annoying thing was when they "assumed" I wasn't interested, they wanted their information dvd back!

They were at Beneath the Sea, but I didn't stop...

Daddy-h2O
04-05-2007, 12:13 AM
Didn't talk to anyone there, so I didn't get a hard sell. Maybe I was the lucky one!

Papa Bear
08-24-2007, 03:22 AM
I knew Mel from the 70's and had a chance to invest in it then. And yes investors get to dive! He Nighted me in 1998 6 months before he passed away. No hype gust marketing. No one comes away feeling cheated, his family is running it now and he will be missed. Cliff Robertson Played him in a Movie in the 1980's! He was the King of the Conch Republic and I am proud to be one of his Nights! :cool: :D

Daddy-h2O
08-24-2007, 03:37 AM
Sounds like an interesting story. But that is exactly what I mean. I don't remember anything in the museum that refrenced the Knights of the Conch republic. I get that it is the story of the Atocha they are selling, but what I want to know is more about the man, thus "the Mel Fisher Museum"
I am sure he was flawed like the rest of us, but he must have been the only true optimist to walk the planet. And the support of the people around him, right place, right time alignment of the cosmos and all. It is a shame that what the people are only interested about the money.

anyways I am rambling and I am not sure I am making, or what my point was when I started typing, I'll try again later...

Papa Bear
08-24-2007, 03:54 AM
He told me before he passed away that "The Price he paid for the treasure was too high" and "If he would have known the true cost he would have never gone looking"! He was the first dive shop in the world to have a commercial dive boat! He smoked too much and was always hustling everyone to keep the operation going until they found the Ship. He was just about to the end the day they found it! Then 13 years fighting the Feds and State for control and NOAA still fines the operation for disturbing Turtle grass, just a cost of doing business he once told me!;)

Sunking
07-08-2012, 01:37 AM
Hello first time here. I am also A Knight of the Conch Republic. Mel Knighted myself, Clefton S Forsythe and Captain Ed (Ed Hosking) in 95 or 96 at Treasure Salvors (Too many Makers Mark & water too remember exactly.) Ed dove for 4 yrs before they found the Mother Lode 10 yrs to the day of Mels son Dirks untimely death. Ed Graduated from Key West High without learning how to read or write. I ve lost track of my dear friend Ed anyone know of him or his whereabouts? I know they photocopied our licenses and put them on file but is there anyway to prove I am indeed a Knight? Means more to me than if Obama wanted to give this old Convicted Felon a pardon and a Presidential Medal of Freedom. If you know who the Traub twins are they might know where he is. I knew where they lived but they seldom answer the door LOL. Respond to Sunking 1957@yahoo.com or Facebook search Bob Steele Hollywood Fl thats my aka in case the feds ever think they can find me easily. John Hankison (Fisher John Key West\Stock Island) is another long lost friend I fear may have passed. Q Ball (Quincy Bryant Islamorada) RIP is another great friend. I long for the good ol days. It Goes Without Saying tha Mel Fisher was the Greatest Treasure Hunter ever. TODAYS THE DAY. Mel RIP and I hope your still give the Feds Hell. TYVM

Papa Bear
09-03-2012, 03:57 AM
You might try to contact his son in Key West or The Company has a booth at DEMA every year? Two years ago:
http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/164696_1677697075000_3534512_n.jpg