PDA

View Full Version : Feeling Cold..in the caribbean

lottie
12-22-2007, 10:27 AM
Yeah, I know..seems like an oxymoron doesn't it!

But, I was cold - I did the wreck dive, had an SI on the boat for an hour, then did the second dive.

During the second dive, I felt cold and I mean cold..the water temps (according to my dive comp) said 27C (about 84F) and I was cold, i felt shivery, my finger tips were feeling numb and i came up after 20 minutes.

I wear a 3mil long wetsuit, on the SI, I only pulled it down to my waist and felt fine.
Another thing that surprised me as well was that the dive leader was wearing a 7mil, plus hood :eek: and he said that the water temps are normally cooler from November to february!!!

A friend of mine is coming over and we will be doing the wreck again in 3 weeks time.
So anyone got any ideas as to what I can/could do so that I don't feel cold when doing the second dive?? - If I wore a shorty over my wetsuit for the second dive - would that be sufficient?

Thanks

Tom R
12-22-2007, 12:45 PM
once you get acclimatized to the local waters your core body temperature tolerance adjusts to it, thats why drysuits and underwear are used in Mexico and Florida in the caves. Recent trip to the Keys the locals thought I was nuts diving a 3mm shorty in nov while most of them were diving in 3/5 suits. Do what we do in the great white north, bring a thermos of hot water for the second dive and pour it in your suit.

rubber chicken
12-22-2007, 01:28 PM
Lottie,
Do you use a hood ?

If you think about how much body heat escapes through the top of your head. I've met divers who can dive in waters, much colder than yours, wearing T-shirt, board shorts and a hood, and have been perfectly happy. Obviously, everybody is different and ,as already mentioned, we all acclimatise to the local conditions. In the UK, I used to dive in waters down to 6c without issues, here in West Oz I usually dive in waters of 22c. A couple of weeks ago I went to Tasmania to dive the Kelp forests and was freezing in water of 12c. it just goes to show:rolleyes:

littleleemur
12-22-2007, 01:46 PM
Lottie,

I have a neoprene vest that I bring with me to the tropics. I also bring a raincoat to keep the wind out even in SE Asia or the Carib. The thermos is a good idea, but I'd rather drink it during my SI than dump it in my wetsuit.

If you don't mind hoods, it would be the most effective. & I'm always freezing no matter where in the world I dive. Heck, I can even get cold in a hot tub :D

Mountain Dog
12-22-2007, 02:18 PM
The hood is a good idea. On our recent run to the Keys, LadyDog was getting chilled on our deep dives. We stopped in a dive shop and picked up a 2 mil hood for her and she was toasty warm. They really make a big difference.

Mountain Dog

acelockco
12-22-2007, 04:15 PM
I agree with Mountain Dog and Rubber Chicken,

Get yourself a comfortable hood and you should notice a major increase in your warmth. You can also get some neoprene gloves and boots if you don't already have them.

lottie
12-22-2007, 07:21 PM
Hey guys, thanks for the info.

I think the idea about getting a hood is a good one and will definitely order one (probably wont arrive in time for the 11th Jan). I think I'll also take a thermos (but not to drop down my wetsuit - just to drink)

As RubberChicken said it's amazing how quickly you acclimatize to the conditions. It's been cold here for the past couple of days and last night I was still freezing and wore PJs and socks in bed...I just spoke to my friend thats coming over and her response when I told her "you're mad!!!!"

bubbles
12-22-2007, 09:16 PM
Gosh Lottie - how are you going to survive in the UK when you come back in March! LOL You must be going soft!

I remember the only time I dived in the UK we were told that you keep warmer if you keep your suit on rather than take it down and that if you put a thin rain coat over the top (you know the sort the packamac things) then that keeps the wind chill off too. A hot drink and a hood though sound excellent ideas. However, you will need to toughen up for the UK! ;)

Here's something to make you feel warm - we went to do the final food shop for Christmas at 6am this morning (wanted to beat the crowds)! We had to de-ice the car first, it was very foggy and the temp on the dashboard said -1.5 - now I'm sure you feel very hot again!!!!!

Sarah
12-22-2007, 09:37 PM
If you drink some hot liquid from a thermos rather than pouring it down your suit, doesn't it ultimately end up in your suit anyway?
;)

lottie
12-22-2007, 11:52 PM
Here's something to make you feel warm - we went to do the final food shop for Christmas at 6am this morning (wanted to beat the crowds)! We had to de-ice the car first, it was very foggy and the temp on the dashboard said -1.5 - now I'm sure you feel very hot again!!!!!

Oh, I remember that very well...A couple of years ago I did the last of my food shopping at about midnight or thereabouts...there was literally noone in Tescos (and it was a 24 hour opening)...now that was great..wish they did that over here....the shops are packed like anything and the aisles are soo narrow as well...and they don't have all those yummy goodies that ar ein the UK (boxes of chocolates, fancy hors d'oeuvres, mini party packs).....

iDC - ha ha ha ha ha...thats a good one..but just because it'll go in while i'm wearing the wetsuit...it definitely won't be coming out while i'm in the wetsuit :rolleyes: :eek: :D

bubbles
12-23-2007, 09:29 AM
[QUOTE=lottie;9541]Oh, I remember that very well...A couple of years ago I did the last of my food shopping at about midnight or thereabouts...there was literally noone in Tescos (and it was a 24 hour opening)...now that was great..wish they did that over here....the shops are packed like anything and the aisles are soo narrow as well...and they don't have all those yummy goodies that ar ein the UK (boxes of chocolates, fancy hors d'oeuvres, mini party packs).....

This morning on breakfast TV they were talking about the UK being a very multi-cultural country and that we shouldn't think of turkey being the traditional Christmas fayre. When I saw your post it got me wondering... how do people in the Caribbean celebrate Christmas? What do they have to eat? (You can reply in a private message if you like.) I am fascinated to know!

Tigerbeach
12-23-2007, 01:36 PM
When I taught in Hawaii, I wore a full surf suit (3/16") in the wintertime even though the water may have been 80. I could make a single dive without a wetsuit, that was easy. My body is still about 100 degrees; making 4 dives or more per day, required additional coverage.

Maybe a polypropylene suit would help.

acelockco
12-24-2007, 08:20 PM
When I saw your post it got me wondering... how do people in the Caribbean celebrate Christmas? What do they have to eat? (You can reply in a private message if you like.) I am fascinated to know!

Don't reply privately, I would like to know as well. I am pretty sure that Lottie does not celebrate Christmas, but of course she surely does notice what others are doing.

allisonfinch
12-26-2007, 02:04 AM
:rolleyes:
HEY!! I get cold in a hot tub!
I dive in 80+ degree water and I always wear at least a
3mm wetsuit. I also wear a neoprene beanie. If the water gets towards 79 degrees, I'll add a core warmer (a shorty wetsuit underneath).

The beanie goes a long way to helping hold some heat. I get so cold because, taking pictures, I am still for long periods of time and move very slowly.

lottie
12-26-2007, 12:33 PM
Allison - I'm glad I'm not the only one who gets cold in warm waters

I think i'll definitely have to invest in a beanie....Is the core warmer, the 1mil shorty? I think i've seen one for sale at the shop (not sure whether its my size, but if it is...even the more better for me :))

acelockco
12-26-2007, 02:52 PM
A core warmer can be anything that adds some thermal protection to the core of your body. A short wetsuit will do the trick. They also sell something that might work well for you, it is a hooded vest. It will give you the hood and the core warmer in one.

Mountain Dog
12-26-2007, 05:01 PM
They also sell something that might work well for you, it is a hooded vest. It will give you the hood and the core warmer in one.

This would keep you very toasty. I have a 5/3 hooded vest that I wear under my 7mm in very cold water. It works great. For tropical diving something more in the 1-2mm range might be just the ticket for you.

Mountain Dog

lottie
12-26-2007, 08:39 PM
I don't really want a full hood...i'd feel too claustrophobic thats why I think a beanie would be sufficient....plus gotta think of those ears ;)

allisonfinch
12-29-2007, 04:45 AM
Not wanting to sound like an advertisement....I use a core warmer by Henderson. It is very stretchy, has farmer john type straps which are so much easier to get into than sleeves, and it is nice enough to wear alone while snorkeling.