PDA

View Full Version : X'mas 2007 Best Gifts <$20 <$50 <$100 <$200

littleleemur
12-21-2007, 06:46 PM
What are your votes for the best scuba related x'mas gifts for 2007?
<$20 <$50 <$100 <$200

Papa Bear
12-21-2007, 09:57 PM
Less than $50.00 Reed's Rod: Reed's Rod (http://www.twotankedproductions.com/equipmentsalesrental/equipmentsales.html)

acelockco
12-21-2007, 10:01 PM
Boat trips.

I am very particular about my dive gear and would not really want someone buying me something. Then I would most likely be obligated to keep and use it even if it was not the gear I wanted or needed.

I can always use a dive boat trip however. I would be thrilled to get that as a gift. Oh, that is usually about a $50-$75 (2-Tank boat trip) gift for most of the places I go.

littleleemur
12-21-2007, 10:28 PM
I've been getting a lot of the wives & girlfriends emailing & calling me about gifts & stocking stuffers for their diving SO's. Here's a general list I've been emailing out to the girls. Please add to the list as I'm sure everyone is sick of getting multiple lanyards, retractors (and even weights!) in their x'mas stocking.

<$20
Glotoob approx $17/UK light beacon $9.95/Cylume stix
UK Penlight $9.99
Fox40 "storm" whistle 7.99
Pelican Micro #1060 case for sunglasses approx $16
Arrow points
Computer Wrist Cuff
Mask Goo
Sink the Stink :p
Drysuit Silicone Spray
Silicone grease
Wetsuit Detergent :p

<$50
Aquis Towels (XL 29" x 59") $32.00
McNett Towels (XL 29" x 59") $32.00
Dive Rite Finger spool
SMB
Princeton Tec Aquastrobe 25.95
LDS Airfill card

<$100
Dive Alert
Reef ID books & pocket references
LDS Airfill card
Boat charters!

<$200
Manta rachet Reel.
Reef ID boxed set
Dive charters.

acelockco
12-22-2007, 12:22 AM
Drysuit Silicone Spray <----KEEP THIS AWAY FROM YOUR DRY SUIT

LDS Airfill card <-----ANOTHER REALLY GREAT GIFT

<$100
Boat charters! <-----------YOU KNOW I LIKE THIS ONE

don't forget about DIVE INSURANCE.

littleleemur
12-22-2007, 02:01 AM
I think the spray is to help get the fins on over some of the really fat drysuit boots. Why is it bad?

Also:
<$20
DAN tag thingy

& I forgot the insurance.

acelockco
12-22-2007, 05:01 AM
You need to be really careful with the dry suit and the chemicals it comes in contact with. A lot of divers had used silicone spray in the past for their dry suit zippers and seals.

The huge problem with silicone is that when you go to have your seals replaced, they won't take. Silicone residue prevents the adheasive from bonding the new seals to the dry suit.

The best thing is a stick of zipper wax for the zippers and 100% unscented talc for the latex seals. The latex seals are very sensitive, and the talc seems to be the best thing to keep them going.

littleleemur
12-22-2007, 01:32 PM
I dunno why the guys want that stuff actually. I hate it b/c depending on how it's sprayed, it can get the deck all slippery :( Then again, how exciting is pulling baby powder out of your stocking?

Personally, I've found success with cyalume sticks, the UK lightbeacon (takes 2 AAA batteries), a Mantis reel (for the wreck diver) and especially those fancy towels that everyone wants but is reluctant to shell out $35+ for a dive towel.

BTW Amazon has them on sale now for about $21 & $13 plus a $15off coupon if you hit $49

Size XL: large enuf for a little modesty
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000AMBF1Q/ref=noref?ie=UTF8&s=hpc
Size L: good for just drying off.
http://www.amazon.com/Aquis-Adventure-Microfiber-Graphite-39-Inches/dp/B000AM82RQ/ref=pd_sxp_f_pt

acelockco
12-22-2007, 04:12 PM
If you really don't like the talc, the only other option that I know of is a little bit of soapy water. Just a bit of soap mixed in a squirt or spray bottle. It will allow your seals to slip on without making a huge mess. Plus it will wash away with water unlike silicone. If you play nice, you will get some biodegradeable soap so it won't hurt the environment when it gets in the water.

littleleemur
12-22-2007, 04:50 PM
talc, soap & sink the stink

I wonder if he'll get the hint?
might as well throw in a packet of mints....

If he has a drysuit, you could always wrap a packet of Depends as a gag gift.