View Full Version : Caught on video-Shark savages divers arm

Sarah
12-19-2007, 05:56 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HbdTROt14G8

h2odragon1
12-19-2007, 04:30 PM
WOW!!
two things that were wrong;
#1; he led the shark along then when the shark was in front of him, he reversed the bait, and didn't let go. the shark saw this as a meal getting away and then bit down.
#2 the speedo!! the shark had a choice but bit his arm.

I hope he is doing well and has learned his lesson, a lesson for everyone!

seasnake
12-19-2007, 05:07 PM
Yeh, maybe the shark world is just sick of guys who wear speedos and shouldn't. It's a good video though. It shows why you shouldn't tease large animals that can bite you! I especially like how when they panic and start speeding to the surface and you can hear their computers getting cranky with them. I wonder how deep they were?
What type of shark was that?

acelockco
12-19-2007, 07:36 PM
Yes, their computers were screaming at them.

Now I wish the video did not stop when it did. I wanted to hear that dude screaming and I wanted to see how badly it really was. There was a quick glimpse, but not enought to see how bad it was.

Did anyone else notice that the shark barely even bit down, I can't imagine if it actually was agressive and attacked, it would be all over.

Papa Bear
01-31-2008, 05:35 AM
It looked like a Bull Shark and they were pretty sallow and with the blood in the water its an emergency accent! The meat of his arm was flapping and he was pretty calm considering! He did, as pointed out, make a bad mistake by misjudging the sharks ability to turn within its own body length and they can! Also Board Shorts wouldn't have made a difference! :D

Mountain Dog
02-03-2008, 12:47 PM
Yes, under the circumstances that was a fairly controlled ascent. I would have surfaced a lot faster than that.

Personally, I don't care much for rules, but I do live by two of them that I consider very important.

1. Never videotape yourself committing a felony. The prisons are full of people who's ego got them busted in this manner.

2. Never tease large-toothed, fast moving predators. I don't think this rule requires much explanation.

Mountain Dog

bottlefish
02-03-2008, 11:05 PM
I'm not a great advocate of shark feeding, this video shows one of the reasons why... however hat off to the guy, his ascent did look pretty calm considering the extent of the injury, he even managed to flip a couple of OK signs to the guy on the video..

AlidaDiver
02-04-2008, 01:18 PM
Feeding any wild animal is a big mistake!
He is lucky the shark didn't "bite down." He really only wanted the fish!

seasnake
02-04-2008, 02:00 PM
Yep, he did make a pretty controlled ascent under the circumstances ... apparently his computer wasn't aware of the gaping wound on his arm ... would have sucked to compound the shark bite with a barotrauma ...

I wonder, if this guy survived, does he still tease sharks?

DiverGene
01-30-2010, 03:35 AM
Never hand feed or try to hand feed a shark with bait! EVER!

whatever moves around the bait is considered food by the shark!

Keep your limbs in and keep still,,,,,,,,,man he is so lucky to have not lost his entire forearm!

Maybe next time he'll know better

acelockco
01-30-2010, 06:29 AM
Never hand feed or try to hand feed a shark with bait! EVER!

whatever moves around the bait is considered food by the shark!

Keep your limbs in and keep still,,,,,,,,,man he is so lucky to have not lost his entire forearm!

Maybe next time he'll know better

Good advise. I am going shark diving in a few days so this is something to consider. We were thinking about hanging a basket of fish mid-water to attract them, however we will be a good distance below that.

On another note, welcome to our forum Gene. Tell us about your diving and where you are from.