PDA

View Full Version : Airfare Club

acelockco
12-17-2007, 07:41 PM
OK, this is the link : www.spiritair.com

Click on the link that says $9 Fare Club or Fare Club

It is $9 for a three month trial and $29/year.

It sounds like BS, but I have flown Spirit a few times and have had no problems. Their prices are already really low, but with this club it is insanely low. Now of course you have to be flexable in your dates to get the best prices. For example the flight I just booked would have been more than double the next day or the day before.

So anyway here is what I REALLY paid for TWO round trip tickets:

2 Tickets From Atlantic City to Ft. Lauderdale- $13.00 each
2 Tickets From Ft. Lauderdale to Atlantic City- $13.00 each
All Taxes and airport fees - $41.60

Some memebers I have talked with on the plane actually got paid $4 to fly (they take the $4 off your taxes and airport fees which you must pay).

The other thing is when they send you an emai you have to book the tickets FAST or they will be gone because of hawks like myself!!

Daddy-h2O
12-17-2007, 11:10 PM
Ace,

Okay this sounds way to good to be true, how does this work?

The bad news is it appears there isn't a close airport that they serve. Interesting though...

acelockco
12-18-2007, 01:34 AM
I am telling you, it may sound too good to be true, but it is true. I don't work for them and I am not associated with them in any way!

The thing is there are a limited number of seats at the best rate, and you have to go on the days specified. For someone like me (self employed) it works out great because I can take off when the rates are the best.

Anyway, they also have a $9 three month trial if you are not too sure. The other issue is they only fly to and from a very limited number of airports. It works for me though!

littleleemur
12-18-2007, 01:41 AM
So you're jetting out of LGA?

acelockco
12-18-2007, 05:56 AM
Atlantic City (Pomona, NJ) ACY

Daddy-h2O
12-19-2007, 01:13 AM
I wish I traveled more and was able to take advantage of this. I am going to book mark it and if opportunity allows I will try it.

acelockco
12-19-2007, 02:05 AM
Just got an email about 10 minutes ago,

$8. each way!!!! For flights at the begining of Febuary!!!

littleleemur
12-19-2007, 02:19 AM
Where u going ?

Mountain Dog
12-19-2007, 03:14 AM
Ace-

Grand Bahama for a penny? That's what it says on the website. Am I dreaming this?

Mountain Dog

bubbles
12-19-2007, 06:42 PM
Gosh I wish they operated from the UK!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :(

acelockco
12-19-2007, 07:41 PM
I am telling you no joke. Every seat on all of the Jets are leather as well. Seriously, I don't know how they do it, but it is for real. I would not tell everyone any of this unless I had done it myself. I have, we had a great flight and we are doing it again.

amtrosie
12-19-2007, 11:47 PM
Just got an email about 10 minutes ago,

$8. each way!!!! For flights at the begining of Febuary!!!

Remember, you get what you pay for! There is no way they can operate at a profit with those prices, and the first casualty of this kind of pricing is maintenance. :mad: :mad:
I know, I've been there. You have to hope that a critical system doesn't fail at the most in-opportune moment.

I don't fly hoping, ever! :eek:

acelockco
12-20-2007, 12:05 AM
Dude, get real. These are not all of their prices, only a few seets on a few select flights that they want to fill up. They are a very safe airline. My entire family uses them often, and none of has ever had an issue. They even have free wi-fi at the airport in the Spirit areas.

amtrosie
12-20-2007, 12:39 AM
They have only been around for a few years, using equipment that is not 100% reliable. I know a whole lot more, that's for starters. As for the wi-fi, I could care less. I do not judge an airline by the terminal amenities. I choose to view the planes, their airworthiness, crew capability and professionalism.

Refer to the passengers on one of their flights to LAX, that had an issue with the nose gear, and had to make an emergency landing. They have had issues.

Consider it a word to the wise.

acelockco
12-20-2007, 01:49 AM
Whatever, they are using Airbus 319's which are smaller jets, but fine quality.

Now as far as a problem with their nose gear, I am sure it has happened to other airlines. Maybe they need to get their mechanics some better training or replace them.

Maybe you should just sit in your house and hide, because if you go out something could happen. You could get hit by a bus, a bird could drop a clam on your head, your regulator could fail because you were monkeying around with it. Crap, if you stay home, you might have a heart atack or something.....maybe you should go out....wait....um

Ok for everyone else, go and see if they fly in your area, I am really satisfied with everything even at full price.

Mountain Dog
12-20-2007, 10:14 AM
Hey who knows, a Spirit Air jet could even crash into your house while you huddle inside. There's no safe place.

Seriously though, a number of people from my dive club have used Spirit Air and have nothing but good things to say as well. I'm in.

Mountain Dog

seasnake
12-20-2007, 08:49 PM
I bet even booking a flight TO where ever they fly from would be a cheaper way to do a trip.

acelockco
12-20-2007, 09:58 PM
Oh yea' that is true. I usually book a trip because there is a great deal. As long as there is a place to dive, I will go.

amtrosie
12-21-2007, 12:58 AM
Hey who knows, a Spirit Air jet could even crash into your house while you huddle inside. There's no safe place.

I have never considered such a stupid reaction, nor will I ever.

Given the fact that I started working on aircraft 30 years ago, I may know a thing or fifteen about how these things are done. Also, what suffers when they do these things. I have worked for enough airlines (Pan Am and TWA to name two) to know what I am speaking of.

AS I SAID BEFORE; "A word to the wise"

I do however, know better than to think that an airline profits from selling a seat for such a pittance. If a deal is too good to be true, than it is too good to be true. I do not doubt that they offer these fares.

Lastly, for those individuals who speak as authorities on aircraft, reliability, and such: ignorance is bliss, and I only sought to remove that veil of ignorance.

acelockco
12-21-2007, 01:23 AM
Where are you going with this?

Do you really think we should pay more because you think so? They have full price tickets on the same flight for over $300, so do the ones that pay full price get what they pay for?

Dude, seriously I think you are throwing in your 2-cents just because you are in the business, however I really think you have nothing to say. Maybe you are playing the other side, because you are looking to stir things up a bit, who knows?

Mountain Dog
12-21-2007, 02:37 AM
Really. Take chill pill.

This is a marketing strategy by Spirit. They let out a relatively limited number of seats at ridiculous prices. The word of mouth advertising they get out of that is far cheaper than buying tv time or newspaper and magazine space. If we happen to be the beneficiaries of the strategy, then so be it.

Like Ace said, most people on that plane are paying full fare. And if Spirit gets it's "$9 Club" members to occasionally buy a full fare ticket from them when their travel schedule demands it, Spirit profits.

If you have specific evidence that their maintenance program is below the industry standard, yell it from the rooftops. If your only beef is with the marketing strategy they employ, I don't get your point.

As for the nose gear story, name an airline that hasn't had issues. In my years of flying I have been through half a dozen incidents on planes operated by major airlines. Delta, US Air, Continental, American and a few foreign carriers have all put me on flights that had substantial problems. If I avoided every airline that has had an in-flight situation, I would have to take up hitch-hiking.

If your going to travel, you accept some risk. I don't like it any more than you do, but there's no way around it.

Mountain Dog

bubbles
12-21-2007, 01:45 PM
I totally agree with Mountain Dog - EVERYTHING in life has risks but life would be pretty dull if you didn't take risks wouldn't it - we'd all have to give up scuba diving for starters!!!! :eek: On UK tv yesterday they were saying that a lot of towns are not putting up Christmas lights this year and that Pantos are no longer throwing sweets into the audience because of health and safety issues - how sad that life is turning out like this!!!! Where has all the fun gone? I'm not suggesting for a minute there should not be strict rules re safety of airlines but there are risks in everything in life but then life is there for living and having fun! :)

I am sure there are many more full paying passengers than bargin ones and that it is better to fly full than have empty seats - $9 is better than $0!

Finally, I can't believe you guys have got so heated about all this - surely this forum should be a friendly one where people can express opinion but not feel 'got at' when they do! SHAKE FINS AND MAKE FRIENDS AGAIN - LIFE IS TOO SHORT FOR ARGUMENTS!!! :)

acelockco
12-21-2007, 04:38 PM
I was not trying to start an arguement or being hot headed, I was just saying that I believe someone was putting in their opininon just to have an opinion when in reality there was nothing the person really had to say.

We definately are still friends, we just taunt eachother from time to time. All in good fun;)