PDA

View Full Version : Characters you meet diving

littleleemur
12-17-2007, 03:42 PM
Describe the most memorable/unique/strange/scary people [good and bad] you've met on land or in the water.

BamaCaveDiver
12-17-2007, 04:27 PM
God I am glad no one on this board has ever been diving with me :eek: I did not earn my title of Gobwats (grumpy old ba$t@rd with all the scars) for nothing. Since I usually dive solo, do I count as my own strangest/scariest :o

lottie
12-17-2007, 11:18 PM
Gobwats (grumpy old ba$t@rd with all the scars)
ROFL = that's a good nickname, unique in fact :)

God I am glad no one on this board has ever been diving with me :eek:

There's always a first time for anything Bama...;)

Back to the OP - I don't think (thus far..touchwood) that i've met any memorable/strange/scary peeps while diving..well some of the boat guys/DMs/Instructors where I go could be classed into a variety of those (i'm only joking - they're all lovely really :D)

Daddy-h2O
12-17-2007, 11:29 PM
What if we chage it a little, who would you vote as strange on the board?

BamaCaveDiver
12-18-2007, 04:42 PM
What if we chage it a little, who would you vote as strange on the board?

You can have my vote in that category Daddy-H20 :p

I came up with the acronymn Lottie after several younger cave divers at a spot I frequent started figuring out who I was; one actually said, "oh, so you're the grumpy old b@$t@rd with all the scars." Joked about it once to some who knew me too well, and have been gobwats evwer since :o

Chantelle
12-18-2007, 05:59 PM
OO.. well... there are a few characters up this way... One I won't even bother touching on....

Another though, was a fella we met while doing a shore dive in Rockport. It's about a 12 minute swim out to a wreck, with a maximum depth of about 90'. We saw the guy get in the water, and we were just about ready to get in ourselves. Finally, out we go... to see... uh.. silt... and lots of it...:confused:

We are almost at the wreck, and the silt is thicker... we see this fella, and he's rolling around, trying to get his fins on... :eek: Apparently, his claim to fame is that he's a bottom walker... He walks to the wreck, puts his fins on, and goes for his dive...

Yanno... I always wondered where those foot prints came from....:o

littleleemur
12-18-2007, 06:35 PM
Aha! So that's it! Where all that mysterious silt comes from when there are no other boats in the vicinity, & it's otherwise really really clear!

There's always that debate about swimming vs. spending the $ to charter out to that wreck. Now about that "walking"...Chantelle, please bonk him on the head with your weight pack the next time you see him.

Chantelle
12-18-2007, 07:00 PM
ROFL.. yeah.. Steve actually went up to him and gave him a "***?" The guy was pretty pleased with himself, and didn't mind that we were a little miffed...

littleleemur
12-18-2007, 07:36 PM
Oh really? To bad the toilet's gone or I'll see to his being pleased with himself...need to show some guys how exactly NOT to run lines on a wreck :p

Nothing dangerous of course...;) He can always "walk" the toilet that's tied to his a** back to shore....

lottie
12-18-2007, 09:53 PM
You just mentioning about a toilet reminds me of when I did the wreck dive a couple of months ago.
The wreck is a 156ft freighter that was intentially sunk back in 1986, as you swim around the bottom of the ship, there's an old ceramic sink nestled in the sand.

So the DM (who's also on the National St Lucia Cricket Team), takes off his mask and places his hands under where the taps are/were and makes out that he's washing his face...I was in complete hysterics. It was the talk of the dive on the boat for the whole 60 minute SI before the second dive.... I just wish I had a camera at the time

acelockco
12-18-2007, 11:46 PM
he's a bottom walker... He walks to the wreck, puts his fins on, and goes for his dive...

Wow, some of the things I am reading here lately make me wonder if my eyes are going bad.

WHAT??? That just does not sound right. How much weight would that person have to have on his feet to be able to walk? Then how much air would that person use walking equal to a 12 minute swim? How tired would they be? Would they be able to make it back to shore? From 90 feet depth?

Remember all of the weight the old school divers had to use to keep their feet on the bottom, they had to labor to take every step, they would definately not make it the distance equal to a 12 minute swim!

Daddy-h2O
12-19-2007, 01:09 AM
You can have my vote in that category Daddy-H20 :p

I came up with the acronymn Lottie after several younger cave divers at a spot I frequent started figuring out who I was; one actually said, "oh, so you're the grumpy old b@$t@rd with all the scars." Joked about it once to some who knew me too well, and have been gobwats evwer since :o

Thanks, that means a lot coming from a my Favorite Gobwats!! I am among the youngest of the divers I run with. Most think I am a little off center. We laugh alot and have a good time.

This hoever doesn't count as I was walking to a wreck, a wieght pouch fel on my head. I could have sworn I heard a "Ghost Diver in the sky"

lottie
12-19-2007, 01:19 AM
I could have sworn I heard a "Ghost Diver in the sky"

How can you hear a ghost diver in the sky????? :confused:

Daddy-h2O
12-19-2007, 01:29 AM
It is the song ( a poor rip off of Ghost Riders in the sky) that runs through my mind when the rest of the voices in my head are silent

littleleemur
12-19-2007, 01:34 AM
We used to have those who's first time on that wreck to get their pic taken on that toilet. There used to be the toilet wall of fame. Then a few years back, the toilet was gone! :eek:

Chantelle
12-19-2007, 01:13 PM
We used to have those who's first time on that wreck to get their pic taken on that toilet. There used to be the toilet wall of fame. Then a few years back, the toilet was gone! :eek:

Maybe someone "walked off" with it?? ROFL...:D

Chantelle
12-19-2007, 01:32 PM
Wow, some of the things I am reading here lately make me wonder if my eyes are going bad.

WHAT??? That just does not sound right. How much weight would that person have to have on his feet to be able to walk? Then how much air would that person use walking equal to a 12 minute swim? How tired would they be? Would they be able to make it back to shore? From 90 feet depth?

Remember all of the weight the old school divers had to use to keep their feet on the bottom, they had to labor to take every step, they would definately not make it the distance equal to a 12 minute swim!

Well.. I can tell ya.. I saw it with my own eyes... I don't even think he had much weight on his feet, as he just put his fins on and off he went, when he got to the wreck.... Perhaps a couple of ankle weights. The entire "swim" out to the wreck is not at 90', that is just the max. depth. Average depth is about 40', getting deeper as you near the channel.

I had heard a bit about this fella, but still couldn't believe it when I saw it!