PDA

View Full Version : Just wanted to say 'hi' and make some new friends!

bubbles
12-14-2007, 10:10 AM
Hi everyone,

I am totally new to chat forums but felt like making some online friends and where better to start than my favourite hobby: diving which I am nuts about!!!:)

I learnt to dive about 6 years ago and now have Advanced Open Water + a number of specialities. Only dive when on holiday, far too cold in this country! Have dived in the Caribbean and Maldives in the past. Maldives is definitely my favourite place.

Please reply to my post so I can make some new friends. Feeling blue right now as job hunting and nothing around!!!

lottie
12-14-2007, 11:26 AM
Hi bubbles,
welcome to our little space on the web.

I would say that most of us here are nuts about diving (and some of us are just nuts!).

Good luck with the job-hunting, i know it's difficult - i've been made redundant a couple of times, so know the frustrations that you're going through, but you just have to keep your chin up and take in that deep breath and seize the day :D

So just jump right in and make yourself at home.

bubbles
12-14-2007, 11:51 AM
Thanks Lottie,

Wow, your from St Lucia - bet you do lots of fab diving there! Do you work in the dive industry?

How do you edit your profile on here? Add a picture etc? As I'm new to the site am still trying to figure it all out.

lottie
12-14-2007, 11:57 AM
no worries bubbles, i'm originally from England and the diving down here is just fantastic (if your interested, checkout my blog for more underwater pics)

As to editing your profile - click on the "User CP" link at the top. The page will change and on the left hand menu, click on the "Edit profile" link. There are other links as well, which I can't remember off the top of my head, but it should be easily intuitive.

HTH

bubbles
12-14-2007, 12:10 PM
Just been looking at your blog as suggested. Emagrating that is something I have always wanted to do - how did you manage it? Was it hard? What do you do for a living out there? Are you still doing IT? I have just got a First (as a mature student) at Reading University. Unfortunately my degree is in Education with English but I have decided I do not want to become a teacher - no work/life balance whatsoever. Am now struggling to find a job - too many graduates after too few jobs+I don't have relevant experience - quite how you get it when no one will give you a go I don't know!

We've enjoyed a number of Caribbean holidays and I am totally hooked on diving - wish I could just take off to warmer climates!!! Ahhhhhh

Am now going to try to edit my profile and then go back to searching through the job ads on the net!

The Publisher
12-14-2007, 02:13 PM
Welcome Bubbles!

Shortly members will be able to create their own blog right here.

Chantelle
12-14-2007, 02:52 PM
Welcome aboard Bubbles, and I wish you the best of luck in finding a job! Jobs suck, but unfortunately they are necessary to pay for diving! :p

Sarah
12-14-2007, 02:56 PM
Hi bubbles, welcome to the SMN Community. :)

littleleemur
12-14-2007, 03:27 PM
Hi bubbles,

Welcome!

You can teach English, ESL all over the world to fund your diving :p GCSE tutoring outside of school is the money maker. Emigrating isn't that hard, most expats hang out together, usually in Expat bars and pubs etc. So the downside is that you will most likely have to socialize with those you work with.

Have you looked into Jamaica? The resorts there are always looking. A friend's brother couldn't find a job after graduating Univ & he went to Jamaica and is now the CFO of the Breezes/Sandals resort corporation (His first job out of Univ too!). He gets 2-3 dives in a day.

Good Luck!

bubbles
12-14-2007, 03:42 PM
Wow sounds fantastic - have to check Jamaica out then! My problem is I am a mature student so have a family who would need to fit into the equation. LOL

rubber chicken
12-15-2007, 09:30 AM
G'day Bubbles,
I know that you said that education is not your preferred career path but did you know that Teacher is one of those professions that can get you 'fast tracked' into Australia? Apparently quite well paid in comparison to the UK, the work/life balance is (reportedly) quite good and................ Lovely warm waters to dive in.
Just a thought.

HTH

R/C (ex-pat pom)

littleleemur
12-15-2007, 03:19 PM
X'mas & New Year's on the beach!

& the food is sooo good there. :D

bubbles
12-16-2007, 02:39 PM
Yeah, would love to emigrate but as regards teaching I have now made my decission! However, on the optimistic side I was thinking that I will now be able to go on holidays at the cheaper times of year and when it is less crowded - so I guess every cloud has a silver lining! Just need to find a job now. LOL