PDA

View Full Version : Girl Airport Screeners Gone Wild

The Publisher
12-14-2007, 02:10 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rEqgLGL7ptU

BamaCaveDiver
12-14-2007, 06:19 PM
ROFLMAO I am definitely going to have to send that to my daughter-in-law (she recently took a job with TSA :p )

littleleemur
12-14-2007, 10:00 PM
ROFLMAO I am definitely going to have to send that to my daughter-in-law (she recently took a job with TSA :p )

Thank god there will be one more TSA agent that will know what dive gear is!

On a recent trip to Belize, out of Toronto:
TSA: What is this?
Me: A regulator.
TSA: What is it for?
Me: It's used for breathing underwater.
TSA: Show me how it works.
Me: This part here goes in your mouth and the other end connects to the air tank.
TSA: Air tank? Where is your air tank?
Me: We rent one when we get to our destination.
TSA: You don't have it on you?
Me: No. It's too heavy to bring on vacation. We rent one when we get there.
TSA: So you cannot breath from it now?
Me: Well, there's nothing to connect it to.
TSA: So you cannot prove that it works?
Me: See, [breath in 2nd stage] [breath out 2nd stage]
TSA: Is that part metal?
Me: Yes.
TSA: You cannot take that on the plane. What is this? (Holding up my dive computer)
Me: My dive computer.
TSA: Show me how it works.
Me: [Lick fingers, press buttons] You go between the screens and it show you how deep you are and how much time you have underwater.
TSA: It can do that?
Me: Yes, that's what it's for.

etc etc....

It was a very painful 30mins. Until finally a supervisor came over to see what was going on and shook his head and gestured that I could repack my entire carryon (computer, regs & all) and go.

Sheesh! :rolleyes:

acelockco
12-15-2007, 01:29 AM
OK, well that is a clear example of why as soon as you have any type of hassle or problem you ask for a supervisor. Remember, you always want to deal with someone that can make decisions, not the new minimum pay employee.

littleleemur
12-15-2007, 02:16 AM
He was apparently held up at the other tables where other members of our group were held up for also having regs in their carry-on too :rolleyes:

acelockco
12-15-2007, 03:55 AM
I always keep my reg, dive computer and log book/c-cards in my carry on(and maybe your mask). I have never had any problems. Recently, one TSA agent opened the bag and wanted to know what it was. Then right away another agent came running over, explained what it was to her and quickly gave me the bag back and he actually said "sorry about that".

I have found most TSA agents have been very polite and nice. I suppose they must have some training as they are dealing with tricky situations all of the time.

littleleemur
12-15-2007, 04:56 AM
It was about 4am and we were scheduled for the 5am flight (1st flight of the day). So it was either TSA recent graduates, trainees or maybe their real life exam. He was very nice and polite. They all were (for 4 am anyways). But I got the impression that no one on that shift except for the supervisor knew what scuba equipment was.

How effective/threatening would twirling your 1st or 2nd stage (or both) by its hose over your head while screaming like a maniac be in hijacking a plane I wonder? :confused:

I carry my regs, computer, mask, logbook, c-cards and 2 swimsuits in my carryon.

acelockco
12-15-2007, 06:13 AM
swimsuits? we don't need no stinkin' swimsuits.

littleleemur
12-15-2007, 06:33 AM
swimsuits? we don't need no stinkin' swimsuits.

TMI :eek:

BamaCaveDiver
12-15-2007, 06:22 PM
You should have been around when HID cannister lights with NiMH battery packs first became popular. Cylindrical objects with wires attached, obscurred by a heavy layer of shrink wrap, now that made going through airport security loads of fun (try explaining why HID bulbs should not be turned on out of the water, or why you should leave it burning for a few minutes prior to turning it off.)

scuba smurf
12-20-2007, 11:33 PM
greeeat, I'm heading south in Feb. Guess I should contact the local airport to see what sort of hassels I can expect from them when I show up with a cannister light, regs etc for carry on. Maybe taking some papers with a description of the items and the manufacturers website will help a bit?

littleleemur
12-21-2007, 01:03 AM
I think the only thing that would help is going after someone else in your group and let them deal with it :p Once they figure out that an HID light is not a nuclear warhead detonator and that multiple ones don't click together to make one then you should be fine.

seasnake
12-21-2007, 03:06 PM
I really wish they had something like that, where you could get your stuff preapproved or whatever. At least have it tagged at the original airport as containing scuba gear or something, so that it won't be such a big deal at each security check point.

Chantelle
12-21-2007, 03:08 PM
Another thing to remember is that you cannot travel with liquids in your carry on luggage ~ Like your compass, for example. Remember to pack that in your checked luggage, or you'll lose it! :)

Also, if your can light is in your carry on, you can go to the website (of whatever make your light is), and print out the owner's manual/description of your light. It helps to have that tied around your light. ;)

acelockco
12-21-2007, 04:47 PM
Your compass does not have enough liquid inside it to be a problem. Acording to the TSA you can have 3 ounces of liquid. I know the liquid in the compass is not that much. I fly with my compass in my carry on every time.

If you do have a concern, you can always put it in your checked luggage...if you dare.

Chantelle
12-21-2007, 05:17 PM
Your compass does not have enough liquid inside it to be a problem. Acording to the TSA you can have 3 ounces of liquid. I know the liquid in the compass is not that much. I fly with my compass in my carry on every time.

If you do have a concern, you can always put it in your checked luggage...if you dare.

I've known a group of people that had theirs taken from them at the airport. Apparently there is enough liquid in them. One of them was even an employee of the airport. ;)

Keep in mind, I am in Canada. The laws may be different.

littleleemur
12-21-2007, 05:34 PM
Chantelle, you must've bumped into the same TSA graduates as I did :(

I always bring a medium Pelican/otter box/padded ladies toiletry bag with me so I can tranfer anything they dont like into it and run back to get it checked. A few years back we ran into the situation where we needed the batteries to show that certain equipment worked (camers etc) but at the same time were not allowed to bring them (expensive rechargables) as carryon. So the padded toiletry bag saved the day.

The toilet bag folds flat when not in use too. (Guys you can use a softsided cooler, but just make sure it has somewhere for you to stick the TSA padlock) & get extra insurance on it when you check it in.

Luckily, we haven't had any problems with the compass on our regs yet.

Chantelle
12-21-2007, 05:34 PM
Ok.. found the rules on the Air Canada site...

http://www.aircanada.com/en/news/trav_adv/070423.html

Carry-On Baggage (Customers reminded of revised security measures)

MONTRÉAL, April 23, 2007 - Air Canada advises customers to keep in mind revised security measures when preparing to travel.

The limited liquid, gel and aerosol carry-on rules previously applicable at Canadian and U.S. airports, including flights to/from Australia via Honolulu, have been extended to all European Union (EU) airports including the U.K, Japan, Korea, Brazil, Caribbean countries, Hong Kong, Australia, and as of May 1st, China. Regulations vary from country to country and travelers are advised to consult local authorities for other destinations.

The maximum quantity of liquids, gels and aerosols permitted in carry-on baggage is 100ml/100g (3.4 oz.) per article. These items must be placed in one clear, closed and re-sealable plastic bag no larger than one litre (one quart). There is a limit of one bag per person, which must be removed from carry-on luggage and placed separately in a screening bin at airport security.

Unsealed, open, coloured or opaque plastic bags of any size with liquids, gels or aerosols in containers of any size will not be permitted through pre-boarding security screening in carry-on baggage. Similarly, liquids, gels or aerosols in containers larger than 100ml/100g (3.4 oz) will not be permitted through security screening as carry-on.

Items exempt from the above restrictions include baby formula, baby food and milk for passengers traveling with babies and under and prescription and essential non-prescription medicines.

Please note that passengers on flights connecting via EU countries (including the U.K.), Japan, Korea, Brazil, Australia and China are reminded not to purchase liquids and gels, duty free or otherwise, on board the aircraft or in the sterile areas of an airport that will not be consumed prior to their connecting flights as passengers will not have access to their checked baggage in order to store these items. Such items will not be permitted through the screening point for connecting flights.

Passengers on flights departing the U.K. are reminded that U.K. authorities allow a single carry-on piece of baggage in the cabin that measures 23cm x 40cm x 55cm. On all other flights, Air Canada allows a maximum of one standard article 23cm x 40cm x 55cm weighing a maximum of 10 kg, and one personal article 16cm x 33cm x 43cm weighing a maximum of 10 kg. More information on Air Canada's carry-on baggage allowance is available at aircanada.com/en/travelinfo/airport/baggage/carry-on.html .

For more detailed information on security requirements, customers are advised to consult Transport Canada (www.tc.gc.ca), U.S. Transportation Security Administration (www.tsa.gov), British Airports Authorities (www.baa.co.uk) or official websites of other jurisdictions.

To avoid unnecessary wait times at the airport, Air Canada recommends that customers check-in online at www.aircanada.com where available, and arrive at the airport at the standard times before departure:

60 minutes for domestic Canada departures
90 minutes for U.S. transborder departures to/from the United States
Two hours for departures to/from all other international destinations
Due to heightened security screening by authorities, it is recommended that customers reduce carry-on baggage as much as possible.

seasnake
12-23-2007, 02:59 AM
Keep in mind, I am in Canada. The laws may be different.

Every security checkpoint is different! I've never had problems with my compass, but you can travel all over North America and get different procedures at every airport. This one says you have to take your shoes off to go through screening, that one says shoes are fine but we'll tazer you if you have nail clippers, and so on ...