PDA

View Full Version : Sustainable organic shrimp production

drdiver
01-12-2007, 08:32 PM
For the shrimp lovers out there (and those of us who feel caught between a rock and hard place regarding wild caught (bycatch and trawler destruction of the ocean floor) vs. farm raised shrimp(destruction of wetlands and water pollution), a new sustainable alternative is appearing in markets. Organically raised shrimp that have none of the environmental impacts of conventional farm raised shrimp. The full article may be found here in the latest issue of Audubon magazine. You can find the nearest retailer nearest you through oceanboyfarms.com
You can also apparently order them though Costco's website.

Organic Shrimp Production (http://audubonmagazine.org/audubonathome/audubonathome0701.html)

Sarah
01-12-2007, 11:09 PM
Great information Doc.

I personally wish I could be a vegetarian, as I love all the animals, even the ones that are not cute and cuddly.

As apex predators, I think mankind is not doing all it reasonably can about our responsibilities, so it is good to see people being part of the solution, not the problem, so thanks Doc.

drdiver
01-13-2007, 05:28 PM
I'm informed that they are sold out until July.:(

Clearly an idea whose time has come. I was an investor in a closed system shrimp farm back in the 90s. It was not an organic operation, but was zero pollution. They went broke, but clearly the technology has improved and become more reliable. It does give cause for optimism.